KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Broadcast Music

Is this your company?

Broadcast Music

Add a Review

Broadcast Music Employee Reviews about "music industry"

Updated Feb 5, 2020

Found 12 of over 129 reviews

3.8
Broadcast Music President and Chief Executive Officer Michael O’Neill (no image)
Michael O’Neill
Pros
  • "Good benefits and awesome co-workers(in 8 reviews)

• "ability to work from home and make you own schedule within reason, only after you have been there a while(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management refuses to remove problematic department heads for some unknown reason(in 7 reviews)

• "This does not feel like a NY headquartered company in the new age digital music industry(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "music industry"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Business Analyst

Nov 6, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Music industry job with a great team, great culture.

Cons

Corporate environment, not enough music access for all employees in the Nashville music community

2. 1.0

Bad career move for me

Oct 31, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people were nice. Pay was ok...

Cons

Before I came to BMI, I worked in healthcare IT. I thought the music business would be a nice change. After experiencing the climate and IT management at BMI, I decided to go back to healthcare, but I had a hard time finding a new job at that point. When I interviewed, having music industry experience was seen as a negative, and working for the IT management at BMI, who largely came from healthcare - with a terrible track record there, made things difficult for me. My advice would be to consider a possible career move to BMI carefully, especially if you are ever interested in working in healthcare later. I figured it out, but it wasn’t easy, and I never experienced this kind of issue prior to working at BMI.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

God environment

Feb 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good communication and branch in the music industry

Cons

There was a lot of work and sometimes little guidelines

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Distribution and Administrative Services Analyst - Works Registration

Nov 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great manager in the Works Registration area who is transparent and willing to try and help you succeed. Work isn't too difficult, but is tedious and requires good attention to detail. ability to work from home and make you own schedule within reason, only after you have been there a while. Good Benefits Solid job in the music industry, especially for entry level candidates. Overall this was a comfortable job where the perks and benefits potentially outweighed the cons. It just depends on you and your situation. worked great for me who had other passions and jobs outside of BMI.

Cons

Not much room for advancement Seems like the company is more interested in spending money elsewhere instead of investing in their employees. Outdated programs and systems (Although this was supposed to change at the time I left)

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

Good company

Feb 5, 2015 - Account Executive in San Juan, PR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work from a satellite office therefore got to travel to Nashville for training. - Good salary for entry level. - Very well known company in the music industry. - On the writers and publisher side got to know a lot of industry contacts. - Aim for positions that dont have to do with sales, but with the composers and writers. Is the funnest. - Great company activities if you get to go.

Cons

- On the sales side... "selling music" is really hard. Telling small businesses they need to buy a license to play the music they've been playing for years is a real challenge. - Account Executive is more like a sales position and in general licensing is like doing telemarketing.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Flexibility with no room for advancement

Mar 4, 2015 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many of the departments offer flexible work hours for employees. Some even work from home. There are perks to being in the music industry such as sometimes getting tickets to events. The HR department does a good job of providing a well done employee appreciation day each year. In some departments, the salaries are in line with private industry salaries.

Cons

There are very limited opportunities for advancement. Promotions may be given out, but they do not result in much of an advancement. There is a clear preference of male employees to female employees in some departments. There is also a clear wall between upper management and everyone else. This results in an inability to be heard.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Manager

Sep 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, great cause for aspiring songwriters and talent, fun sector and a lot of nice events for music lovers.

Cons

An incredibly odd and political culture filled with a lot of overpaid dead weight. Smart, dynamic people are feared instead of embraced. A lot of old timers with an antiquated way of doing business. Horrible work culture includes a lot of Nashville old timers who are not only two-sided and incompetent but also highly inappropriate. Many unqualified employees and the most non-diverse organization you will come across. This does not feel like a NY headquartered company in the new age digital music industry.

12 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0

Licensing Executive

Apr 13, 2015 - Licensing Executive in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of my co-workers were excellent people. Enjoyed telecommuting a couple of days per week.

Cons

This was a great company in the past. Now it's just another metric-based call center with ego-maniac AVP's and Senior Directors who care about nothing but the almighty dollar. Employees are just robots here now. Should have known things were going downhill when the new President "Mike" proudly announced at a company retreat a couple years back that he had never heard of Zydeco music. Really? The President of a major company within the music industry has never heard of Zydeco music and announces it to the entire department? Sad.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0

assistant to Senior director

Nov 12, 2010 - Entry Level in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

it's one of the 3 copyright organization in the music industry, plus the experience in here got me the second and third job in the business so it was good to have in the resume.

Cons

My boss was a senior director who have decades of experience in the industry, who was not so considerate and thoughtful when it comes to take care of her employee.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Don't Recommend! Bad Culture

Jul 8, 2017 - Coordinator in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- One pro, it's a job. So there's that, bills paid. - You might or might not get to see a country singer or songwriter inside the building (not often but from time to time) - When I worked there it was 37.5 hours per week

Cons

- The culture is bad. Not just a corporate America type of your just a number. The culture is filled with management and upper management people who are unethical. And if you think you can go to HR, they aren't on the straight and narrow either. They follow the puppet strings of upper management and they are not confidential. I hope in the time since I've left some changes have been made, but I doubt it. The company is filled with those who should be let go or retired soon, because they are part of the good ole boys club or older women who've supported the club for so long they're in it too. They aren't in the present age and don't know how to follow their own policies and hold people accountable for breaking them. They just tell the lower ranked employee to go sit back down and don't ripple the waters and keep the shady culture going. - In the 7 years I worked there, the benefits declined, the holidays declined, the hours went up, and other benefits declined. - The pay is below the market. Welfare. - There is no growth or movement. They know someone will want to back fill your position off the street because they're in the music industry and the newbie will just see lights and glitter, so they won't try to keep you and if you complain they'll show you the door. No loyalty to high performers. - I am not a scorned former employee posting this for revenge. I performed at a high level all 7 years. I saw what was around me. Some done to me, some done around me. I'm posting so others can make an informed decision on a company they are considering to have as an employer. Someone they'll lean on for career development and to pay their bills. There are better companies out there that value employees and where you'll have a great work life and work/life balance. Coworkers who care, managers who care. This company doesn't have that ( I know the difference now).

13 people found this review helpful