Broadcasting Board of Governors Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Senior manager"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Broadcasting Board of Governors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Committed management team, strong sense of mission, important work gets done every day by this unique agency in the name of the American public to inform and engage people worldwide.

Cons

Board members, who by statute act as a group head of agency, are by turns disengaged and overly intrusive. Some are highly qualified and distinguished, while others are not -- and sadly, the latter tend to be the ones who make life at the agency difficult. Additionally, in-fighting among long-time employees can be fierce.

2. "One of Worst Agencies I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Broadcasting Board of Governors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only Agency where you are exposed on a daily basis to people from other cultures

Cons

No upper level support

Advice to Management

Don't just ask for advice so you can check a box, actually hear it and take it into consideration in the management of the agency

3. "Have not had a review in over 3 years."

Former Employee - Information Technology in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Washington, DC

Pros

Being a supporter of the user community, IE: helpdesk, cable, pc. setup, network port connections, user login information, and connection to the Cloud, and the diverse community you have to work in and around is wonderful.

Cons

Management, supervisors how are new to positions but are not up to date as to how the agency works. being times, days, and schedules that have be coordinated. not only with one location but with all connecting areas. bashing and trying to penalize those how can help.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there is nothing wrong with listening, you may here some valuable feedback.

4. ""Horrible and Hostile Work Environment”"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at Broadcasting Board of Governors as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the pay that I was given

Cons

I was not provided the right information to do my work so the minimal training that I did received I was yelled at for not doing it their way. Management is the worst. The environment was very hostile. Exactly like the last review. "They look for reasons to fire people and have a "gotcha" type of attitude." I didn't read the reviews until after I accepted the job and it is definitely true that everyone is out to get each other and management allows this behavior. The environment is extremely unprofessional.

Such an embarrassment to work with that team. I refuse to put this organization on my resume. If you choose to work there good luck you won't be there for long

Advice to Management

Give respect to get respect

"Hostile Workplace"

Current Employee - Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technician in Washington, DC

Pros

Good pay and federal benefit package compared to commercial media outlets.

Cons

Ignorant, self-serving, absentee managers. They don't understand what they are managing because they've never done the work. They don't know their employees, what they do nor do they advocate on their behalf. They are more concerned with catching people off guard than leading them.

Advice to Management

Get the middle managers out of their offices; learn who your employees, what they do and listen to their suggestions for improvements. Fire the managers who don't care.

6. "marketing intern"

I worked at Broadcasting Board of Governors as an intern

Pros

learn a lot of skills from different department, chill environment

Cons

feel not motivated and out of date

7. "External Affairs Intern"

I worked at Broadcasting Board of Governors as an intern

Pros

The staff in my office was very helpful to interns. We were included in meetings and sent out on occasion to listen to a speaker which made us feel part of the office. I communicated daily with my boss.

Cons

I was given minimal work to complete over the summer and I was often very bored.

Advice to Management

Continue to include interns as a main part of the office however make sure there is enough work to provide them with a meaningful experience.

8. "good"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Broadcasting Board of Governors as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great people and everyone was always super helpful. interesting work environment with a lot of colorful people.

Cons

it's governement so it was slow moving in red tape. Also the company went through a big management upheaval and was chaotic.

Advice to Management

none except that it will calm down after the management change and that it would be fine then

9. "great but dysfunctional"

I worked at Broadcasting Board of Governors as an intern

Pros

all the people I came into contact with were really great and helpful.

Cons

The management was constantly changing and was very chaotic to deal with the changes.

Advice to Management

Be more practical in how the changes take affect on employees.

10. "Horrible and Hostile Work Environment"

Pros

I like that we could get office supplies when we needed them out of the cabinet.

Cons

Management is horrible here. They do not care about their employees. Very hostile work environment, especially in the CFO's office. They look for reasons to fire people and have a "gotcha" type of attitude. Its horrible. I had such good experiences in the private sector and made the horrible mistake of taking a job with the Federal Government. It was a huge culture shock. Everyone is out to get each other and management allows this behavior. I saw 10 people fired or transferred out for no good reasons. They claim that there was performance issues, etc. The Deputy CFO is horrible. He is extremely unprofessional. Such an embarrassment to work with these types. I now understand why everyone makes fun of Federal employees. I don't even want to put this organization on my resume. Some Senators refer to this agency as the "Bottom of the Barrel in Government". If you get a job here, just make sure you take one that is union represented. Forget about ever getting any performance standards or having an HONEST discussion with your manager about performance.

Advice to Management

The issues does not like with management but with the way that our government promotes and selects managers. They do not factor in soft skills. These skills are vital, as well as the technical and hands on job experience.