Broadcom Reviews | Glassdoor

Broadcom President & CEO Hock E. Tan
Hock E. Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is not the best (in 115 reviews)

• No work life balance for engineers (in 28 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at Broadcom full-time

Pros

Good Pay and benefits, unlimited vaca

Cons

Culture of frequent layoffs, flat organization, limited career opportunities

2. "My tenure was ok ok at broadcom"

I worked at Broadcom full-time

Pros

The work is awesome. Highly technical.

Cons

Culture is not that great! There is no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Can indulge the employees more in the company.

3. "Eliminate Service Positions not in CA"

Former Employee - Unemployed
    Former Employee - Unemployed

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good bonuses due to stock.

Cons

Acquisition and Layoff staff after acquisitions

Advice to Management

No advice to management because they don't listen or care about workers only their clicks and self

"New transfer from acquisition"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Broadcom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice to use Google Tools and leave Microsoft stuff behind. I haven't touched my Windows laptop in weeks.

Cons

Health insurance options for 2018 are the worst I've had in 30 years in this industry. The HSA is a joke when your family deductible is $6,000 and you need regular prescriptions. My raise will be completely eaten up by out of pocket medical expenses. Other benefits are ok, but nothing really stands out. Hoping bonus and stock potential beats out the poor health insurance.

Very unhappy to see folks with Broadcom offer letters get laid off anyway the day before the acquisition closed. Management's word clearly means nothing.

Advice to Management

Your employee benefits are not 'the best in the industry'.

5. "good"

I have been working at Broadcom full-time

Pros

good place to work and earn

Cons

very high pressure and mental issues

"Overal Just Mediocre"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work and life balance: 3 out of 5
    It is alright in the high-tech industry. Of course you would have to work over-time at times, but overall it is alright.

2. Some Senior/Principal engineers are extremely knowledgeable and helpful probably due to prior legacy. It is extremely positive if you want to learn a lot during your early career. However, this is a hit or miss pro. You may not have such a guy in your team.

Cons

Background:
    This is a stagnant company with very little energy. Kind of like IBM or HP.

1. Mediocre colleague overall if not worse. Some Senior/Principal engineers are extremely knowledgeable and helpful probably due to prior legacy.

However, the majority of the rank-and-file engineers (below senior) are very mediocre if not worse. They are incapable to do the work right, not to mention going beyond the requirement. I commonly see these mediocre engineers lack basic understanding of technical knowledge and cheat to meet the deadlines. A good summary would be slackers who don't even know how to do it right and just want to get the days over for the paychecks. The worst guy I see probably is only worth 25% of a good engineer of the same rank, in terms of work capacity.

This of course means more pressure and workload for the people who are actually doing the work. Because you would have to clean all the mess for them, working overtime with roughly equal salary of the slackers.

During my time in the company, I see a lot of above average engineers leave, but none of these slackers leave. So the trouble is getting worse over time. The senior engineers can hold the tide and keep things under control for a very long time. But it is easy to see the system breaks down when a turning point is reached.

2. Compensation is very mediocre if not below average
    The total compensation is very misleading. The cash salary part is extremely likely increased artificially at the great expense of benefits. The company has an insultingly bad medical insurance selection in the high tech industry.
    My guess is the management intentionally did this simply because the benefits are not easy to be quantified for comparisons.
    To be fair, the matching of 401k is above average. But taking everything into consideration, the total compensation is slightly below average.

3. Vocation policy is fake. Don't be fooled by unlimited policy. It comes down to the real workload management of your team. Depends on how busy your team usually is, you could very likely end up with less vocation.
    The benefits for the company to adopt this probably is they don't have to pay extra money for your unused vocation when laying off you.

4. Management. The rank-and-file managers are above average. Capably to deal with project executions. However, it is hard to agree with the senior management with recent acquisition of Broad com limited. The implication of heavy debt in the upcoming downturn of business cycle (not yet as of 2017) is very chilling. I only need to quote Warren Buffet, "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. "
    large-scale sale off of departments? large scale lay-off? I don't know but I am not positive when the tide turns.

5. For 1-4, I would rank this company as 3 out of 5. However, this company has a nasty habit to change very important policies suddenly without any regard to the greatly negative impacts upon employees. A healthy relationship is built up and maintained by good faith efforts. I don't see any such faith or efforts on the management side, so it is 2 out of 5.

Overall: It is okay for you to start the career here, using the free time to learn as much as you can. However, I do not suggest any energetic and ambitious young engineers to stay here for over three years. 0.5-2 years is enough for you to know all there is for you to learn, depending on how good you are.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they never will listen.

"Always under a microscope"

Former Employee - Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and financial benefits

Cons

Unlimited vacation means VERY limited vacation
    Constantly looking to lay off people
    Training on internal processes practically non existent
    Reactive instead of proactive

Advice to Management

Help employees succeed instead of setting them up for failure.

8. "No work life balance"

I have been working at Broadcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A job is better than no job anyway, I think?

Cons

Your value or contribution to the company is not defined by what you deliver, but by how many hours you've been sitting at the desk, literally.
    Efficacy is not valued here, only hours are. Dumb people with long hours at the desk doing nothing is much more appreciated than smart people who can do the same amount of work in less hours.

"No future"

I worked at Broadcom full-time

Pros

A job is a job

Cons

No future for engineers after the takeover. They will lay you off when their old products die, and only spend their cash on acquiring new companies to get more revenue.

10. "ETW Operator"

Former Contractor - Operator in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Contractor - Operator in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Broadcom as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for difficulty of job.
    3 and 4 day weekends
    Good work/life balance but can always ask for overtime when available.

Cons

Supervisors play favorites
    Lots of gossip and rumors which can get you fired if targeted at you. Supers don't follow up with you if a rumor is started about you.
    Supervisors hand out verbal and written warning to their favorite employees but don't let you know when you are doing something wrong if you aren't one of them.
    Laziness gets rewarded and hard workers get ignored

ETWs get the worst treatment. You are made to wait a long time for conversion or your spot can be stolen by anyone. The supervisors will tell you you're getting converted then never take steps to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your hardworkers. Major moral issues occur when you promote someone who doesnt work as hard.

Make conversion easier for ETWs. Leading them around in circles greatly affects their work life

Showing 207 of 2,117 reviews