Broadcom Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,857 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is not the best (in 113 reviews)

• No work life balance for engineers (in 27 reviews)

1. "Good company"

I worked at Broadcom full-time

Pros

Good benefits and compensation.
    Strong R&D team.

Cons

I used to work in the MGP division until its shutdown. For years, Broadcom tried to catch up with Qualcomm but couldn't due to several management mistakes.

"Overal Just Mediocre"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work and life balance: 3 out of 5
    It is alright in the high-tech industry. Of course you would have to work over-time at times, but overall it is alright.

2. Some Senior/Principal engineers are extremely knowledgeable and helpful probably due to prior legacy. It is extremely positive if you want to learn a lot during your early career. However, this is a hit or miss pro. You may not have such a guy in your team.

Cons

Background:
    This is a stagnant company with very little energy. Kind of like IBM or HP.

1. Mediocre colleague overall if not worse. Some Senior/Principal engineers are extremely knowledgeable and helpful probably due to prior legacy.

However, the majority of the rank-and-file engineers (below senior) are very mediocre if not worse. They are incapable to do the work right, not to mention going beyond the requirement. I commonly see these mediocre engineers lack basic understanding of technical knowledge and cheat to meet the deadlines. A good summary would be slackers who don't even know how to do it right and just want to get the days over for the paychecks. The worst guy I see probably is only worth 25% of a good engineer of the same rank, in terms of work capacity.

This of course means more pressure and workload for the people who are actually doing the work. Because you would have to clean all the mess for them, working overtime with roughly equal salary of the slackers.

During my time in the company, I see a lot of above average engineers leave, but none of these slackers leave. So the trouble is getting worse over time. The senior engineers can hold the tide and keep things under control for a very long time. But it is easy to see the system breaks down when a turning point is reached.

2. Compensation is very mediocre if not below average
    The total compensation is very misleading. The cash salary part is extremely likely increased artificially at the great expense of benefits. The company has an insultingly bad medical insurance selection in the high tech industry.
    My guess is the management intentionally did this simply because the benefits are not easy to be quantified for comparisons.
    To be fair, the matching of 401k is above average. But taking everything into consideration, the total compensation is slightly below average.

3. Vocation policy is fake. Don't be fooled by unlimited policy. It comes down to the real workload management of your team. Depends on how busy your team usually is, you could very likely end up with less vocation.
    The benefits for the company to adopt this probably is they don't have to pay extra money for your unused vocation when laying off you.

4. Management. The rank-and-file managers are above average. Capably to deal with project executions. However, it is hard to agree with the senior management with recent acquisition of Broad com limited. The implication of heavy debt in the upcoming downturn of business cycle (not yet as of 2017) is very chilling. I only need to quote Warren Buffet, "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. "
    large-scale sale off of departments? large scale lay-off? I don't know but I am not positive when the tide turns.

5. For 1-4, I would rank this company as 3 out of 5. However, this company has a nasty habit to change very important policies suddenly without any regard to the greatly negative impacts upon employees. A healthy relationship is built up and maintained by good faith efforts. I don't see any such faith or efforts on the management side, so it is 2 out of 5.

Overall: It is okay for you to start the career here, using the free time to learn as much as you can. However, I do not suggest any energetic and ambitious young engineers to stay here for over three years. 0.5-2 years is enough for you to know all there is for you to learn, depending on how good you are.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they never will listen.

3. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology and excellent technical team. Benefits are basic but above average. Equity plan is overall positive.

Cons

Many acquisitions have resulted in consolidation and loss of jobs to keep the positive bottom line. But unfortunate for those impacted by job loss.

Advice to Management

Always working to do more with less offsets the work/life balance a bit. This needs to skew a bit more back to the employee for improved moral.

4. "Broadcom Director"

I have been working at Broadcom full-time

Pros

Good money between salary , bonus and options

Cons

Lots of politics and very set in how things work

5. "Project Manager"

Pros

Nice new office and cafe

Cons

The pay and bonus are competitive

6. "Field Applications Engineer"

I worked at Broadcom full-time

Pros

People are great and nice to work with.

Cons

CEO is not focused on people.

7. "good company with great benefits. Hard to maneuver within company"

Current Employee - IC Design in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IC Design in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Broadcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stock option if you joined at the right time

Cons

career opportunity after 4 years is limited

Advice to Management

none

8. "Experience at India center"

I worked at Broadcom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is decent, stock options are lucrative.

Cons

Less growth opportunities, limited roles

9. "Engineer I"

I worked at Broadcom full-time

Pros

A good company to work for. Treat employees right. A friendly and motivational place to work. Technology leader.

Cons

Organization grows too fast, a little chaotic in terms of organization. Some of the new managers are inexperienced.

10. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Broadcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation overall, and good stock option

Cons

less development space for career, promotion is very hard

Showing 1,857 of 2,097 reviews