Broadlawns Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Broadlawns Medical Center President and Ceo Jody Jenner
Jody Jenner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Certified Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant

I have been working at Broadlawns Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Broadlawns is being able to provide excellent service to patients in a timely manner and learning new skills each day.

Cons

Do not have any at this time.

2. "Excellent, family-feel"

I worked at Broadlawns Medical Center full-time

Pros

I loved the size of the organization--felt like I could really get to know people, even in other departments. Also, the CEO knows *everyone's* name. It's incredible. I really felt respected and valued there.

Cons

The facility isn't the newest & prettiest, but it's clean and maintained, and I swear they are continuously painting and repainting the walls, always cleaning the carpets, waxing the floors. I guess this is more of a pro!

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I'd gladly work there again.

"Management is a joke"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Altoona, IA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Altoona, IA

I worked at Broadlawns Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

IPERS, that's about it. I met some good friends there.

Cons

I worked there for over 6 years, the job was very stressful and demanding. I witnessed a lot of great long term employees leave, and this was mainly due to the poor leadership there. It's sad that it could be a great place to work but upper leadership turns a blind eye to management and how they run things. I left and I really don't think anyone could have cared less, pretty sorry I worked so hard and wasted so much time there. Oh and I can't wait until the department of labor finds out that they adjust your time so you never really get paid fairly for all the work you do.

Advice to Management

Upper leadership needs to pay attention to the turnover rate , do anonymous surveys of manager to see what is really going on and DO SOMETHING!!

4. "Work Environment"

Pros

Good place to start for new graduates. Nice people, team work and great management on the Med surg floor. Manager very professional and considerate. Loved it there.

Cons

Need private rooms to ensure privacy according to HIPPA guidelines. However, this might me due to budget constraints and I am sure they are working on having private rooms for every patient.

Advice to Management

Work with HR and administration to improve staff retention.

"sneakey, lying manager(team lead)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Broadlawns Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some great doctors. Has improved the looks of the hospital since I started In 1999, this greatly improved their image. The equipment upgrades were slow coming but were a great plus.

Cons

In their effort to save money they hired a shyster. This man had employees that had worked together for close to 20 years turning against each other. He would tell one employee that the other said something bad about them. I got him figured out he was trying to get a reason to fire the people with longevity so he could hire new people at a lower rate of pay. He went as far as lying about a persons medical condition to force them into leaving. I would not work for the company when they would go so low as to hire such a rotten person.

Advice to Management

Think about what one person can do to a department and a persons carrier before you let them run a department.

"You'll have a job as long as you are useful to the CEO."

Pros

Good benefits. You know everyone who works there, especially because they fire people and don't replace them, so your employee family gets smaller and smaller.

Cons

Sometimes they do mass layoffs and sometimes it's only a few positions at a time. They have gotten rid of people who have worked there for decades, so they will have no loyalty to you. Doesn't matter if you are a manager, staff nurse, tech, or work in accounting, IT, etc. All have been let go. Any problems with your manager will remain problems, as you will have no support from HR. They keep lazy, incompetent managers there who have no experience in leadership. They provide no training but micromanage and will punish you for their mistakes. There are some good people still there, and it's only a matter of time until they will be let go no matter their job performance or their time at Broadlawns.

Advice to Management

When Broadlawns closes, please don't corrupt other local health care providers with your lack of empathy, morality, and good business practices.

7. "I enjoy my experience at Broadlawns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Its a place you can learn. Its small enough you know faces. The doctors in the ER are great to work with!

Cons

Some shifts are not very good with teamwork. I feel as if certain titles make them feel they can disrespect others with lower titles behind their name. I feel as if people get chances on bettering themselves.

Advice to Management

I feel as if there could be more positive praise or actions from management. Its much quicker and easier to point out the negatives to employees from bosses. Maybe a little more training on that. I feel as if that affects the work environment on a negative basis.

8. "It is a fabulous place to work!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Des Moines, IA

Pros

It is a family atmosphere. Everyone works together as a team. Awesome support from leaders. Open door policies by administration. The patients are culturally diverse and gives us a great variety of challenges which leads to strenghtening of our nursing skills. Our patients are the best!

Cons

I have worked at broadlawns medical center for a long time and am hard pressed to find a lot of negatives about the place. In my opinion broadlawns is the best kept secret for nursing employees in town. If you want a great place to work come to broadlawns. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the staff as you have been doing for years. Continue to be part of the team, working side by side with us. That is what makes Broadlawns the best place to work.