Broadwind Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Peter C. Duprey

1. "Human Resources"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Abilene, TX

I worked at Broadwind Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Small company where you could implement changes easily without having to be weighed down with a long string of approvals. Lots of challenging work and learning opportunities.

Cons

Lots of turnover. it was a constant battle of keeping enough headcount and retaining knowledge of processes. Made it had to focus on much of anything else. I left for personal reasons after new management had come in and the new management seemed to have some great ideas for the team. Hopefully this has helped with the turnover.

2. "would never recommend to anyone. STAY AWAY! employee for 3 years."

I worked at Broadwind Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Alot of down time, not very hard work. Above competitive pay. Shop floor employees support each other and work well together. overtime usually available. Entry level positions available

Cons

Horrible insurance. HR is clueless to how things actually are run on the shop floor. You're just a number and not a valuable team member. HR puts up "employee first/safety first" front but lacks actual ambition. Quality control is a joke and problems get pushed down the production line without getting corrected, ending up being 5x the effort to repair it would have taken to just do it correctly. Dirty shop, dirty break rooms, dirty bathrooms and horrible air quality. Company spends ridiculous amounts of money on new process equipment without fully researching performance gains, then leave it sit in a corner to gather dust because they don't use it. Supervisors get stressed from management always wanting more production which snowballs to them putting it on the employees. Production is run as sprint sprint sprint, hurry up get it done, make it work instead of a consistent reliable pace. Culture is toxic and company values are at best a banner on their website to make the company look appealing to potential customers. I really dont need to go on do I?

Advice to Management

I can't even begin to list what they would need to do, its such a backwards mindset company.

3. "Manufacturing Engineer"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Everything is managed to the 10th degree. nothing is done quickly

Advice to Management

streamline our authorization process. Let people get things done.

5. "Broadwind"

I worked at Broadwind Energy full-time

Pros

Plenty of overtime, good people to work with

Cons

Terribly dirty, unsafe working conditions. Management tells you how to do your job even though they have no experience doing it

Advice to Management

Get out of your own way.

6. "Lots of good, hard-working people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manitowoc, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manitowoc, WI

I have been working at Broadwind Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When looking at this information, you need to be aware there is a corporate center in Cicero and different business units in different locations and are not all the same. The Towers segment has a location in Manitowoc, WI and Abilene, TX. Both locations have a lot of really good, skilled and hard-working people that get the job done. Lots of newer leadership in these locations as well. Trying to improve things all the time so that's good. You can join the company with little or no experience and learn. I see people moving into different roles all of the time, if they work hard.

Cons

The production jobs are hard work so you can't come in thinking you can just sit around. Those jobs are hands on and physical, but a lot of people want that. Not everyone can sit behind a desk.

7. "Assembler"

Current Employee - Assembler in Manitowoc, WI
    Current Employee - Assembler in Manitowoc, WI

I have been working at Broadwind Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment great people

Cons

Work slowing down I like to expand and build on my skills and I feel like I'm stuck in my position with no room for advancements

8. "I enjoyed working there"

Former Employee - Magnetic Particle Inspection in Cicero, IL
    Former Employee - Magnetic Particle Inspection in Cicero, IL

I worked at Broadwind Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, most of the people there are great to work with

Cons

Some men are so lazy or work very slow just for overtime and it has affected the company significantly or just complain about everything like children worse then children you know who you are

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to discipline these men you let them get away with murder and do not be afraid of the union. Also, stop trying to be kind and flexible run the business there are people out there that will do the work.

9. "Energy startup"

Pros

Pay is good for this area. Company offers decent benefits that are affordable. Plenty of hours.

Cons

No down time. Night shift is the most productive yet gets the least amount of time off. 12 hours a day 7 days a week gets old. Getting promised time off and then being told one day prior that you'll have to work is one of my biggest complaints.

Advice to Management

PLAN! This company has big aspirations, but management has absolutely no planning skill.

10. "Great industry, great challenges. Work-life balance is not in the vocabulary, however. Corporate disconnected from ops"

Former Employee - Director in Manitowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Manitowoc, WI

I worked at Broadwind Energy full-time

Pros

Exciting industry with major players as significant customers. Excellent quality product, and good mid-management team and office staff - quality people.

Cons

Chronically understaffed in both production and office, employees are merely assets and not partners. Internal training rare, support and funds for external professional development is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with the same respect as customers. Revamp inneffective performance management process and structure.

11. "Challenging"

Former Employee - Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Broadwind Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One gets to see many facets of business that you wouldn't ordinarily see.

Cons

Slow to make decisions, bureaucratic, trying to be a large company without the resources.

Advice to Management

Treat the business like the startup it is. Once you're making money, then implement the latest ideas from larger businesses, until you're making money focus on getting to that point so that you can reward those investors that have trusted you with their money.