Brock & Scott, PLLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Tom Brock & Greg Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great People, Sufficient Paid Time Off & Great entry-level experience" (in 7 reviews)

• "Able to work and listen to music at the same time" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "No raises (starting pay is not competitive by any means, expect to earn between" (in 14 reviews)

• "Greedy management, nepitism running rampant, not much room for advancement" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Legal Assistant"

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time

Pros

great people, and flexible hours

Cons

salary could be better and benefits

"If you have any self dignity, do NOT bother with this company"

Former Employee - Contested Hearings Department in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Contested Hearings Department in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be some perks, like flexible hours and attendance, but those have all been taken away. The only thing left is the great coworkers, though they’re all miserable and fear for their jobs daily, so even that pro is fading.

Cons

You name it: pay, benefits, workloads, expectations... it’s all terrible. I spent 8yrs working in the Wilmington, NC office. From the beginning, there was nepotism and favoritism abounding and you knew there was little to no room for advancement without being related to or kissing up to those in charge. After nearly 2yrs, I found my niche in a department I loved. I saw the tens of thousands of dollars I brought in personally each month, and was bringing in about four times my salary every year; that was just me. My coworkers in my department were all bringing in similar amounts. Somehow, though I watched money rolling in, in 8yrs of employment I was only given $6K in pay increases. I was with the company 8yrs, 6yrs of which I was a litigation paralegal, and was making less than $30K/yr when I was laid off this month. That job should be making no less than $40K/yr. When my manager left in Jan of this year and her managerial duties were put on me and her case load split between me and my coworker, I started standing up for myself and seeking a raise. It’s no coincidence I was laid off within 4mos of asking to be paid what I deserved for the years of loyalty and hard work I’d provided and the additional duties being placed on my shoulders. They shrugged me off for months, promising they’d get me an answer to my request, then let me go to lose the squeaky wheel. With such a small salary and no chance of getting a decent raise (the years we did receive a raise, we received the company yearly increase standard of 1%-2%), I was unable to afford the medical benefits provided. 8yrs without healthcare because the rates are grossly overpriced for the meager wage they provide and, as a single person providing for myself without any financial help, I simply couldn’t afford to be insured. The company always claimed to provide the best benefits available to our firm and said they weren’t making enough money to give anyone a raise. Also, every year the HVAC goes out during the summer months and it takes, on average, 2-3wks for them to get the AC back. The windows are all sealed shut and the building has a tin roof. They will sometimes provide a few fans at the ends of each floor, but the temperature usually hovers in the low-mid 80s. If the heat is making you sick, you either power through or use your PTO to go home. This, too, they claim is too expense to properly fix and just put a band-aid on each summer when it inevitably goes down. I call BS on B&S! One of the founding partners flew the private jet from Winston-Salem up to Philly to get his favorite donuts for the staff in the Winston office. How can you tell your employees you can’t give them a raise, yet you abuse the use of the company plane? How can you gather us together 3wks before Christmas and tell us you can’t afford to give us our hard-earned bonuses while we’re standing in the company warehouse filled with one of the partner’s jet skis and motorcycles and boats and Mercedes, because he didn’t have room to personally store all his toys and put some into storage at the business warehouse?! This company is a joke! All the while, with no raises and no perks, you continue to let people go, dump their work on those remaining (who are already overworked) and demand they work harder and faster so they can make you the #1 firm in the state. While I couldn’t be happier to be away from the torturous work conditions you provide, I feel terrible for those still there and working their fingers to the bone for cents on the dollar of what you should be paying them. Though I was told when I started in my department no person should ever have more than 50 files because it’s too much to handle and you can't properly tend to each case as needed, my coworker and I had over 50 each when I was let go. Now, she’s got more than 100 cases, all on her own, and is being forced to do work for other departments which are also understaffed. Again, this company is a joke! If you enjoy being overworked for very little pay, terrible benefits, mandatory overtime, and a general lack of respect and appreciation, then Brock & Scott is the ideal job for you. If you have any self respect and love yourself, even a little, I implore you to seek another employer. When I was laid off, I was told if volume picked up they’d love to have me back and to continue checking in for openings. While I graciously said “thank you”, I thought ‘I’d rather starve in the streets than get roped back into this abuse!’. To those of you still there, get out ASAP. I didn’t realize just how miserable and bitter a person I’d allowed that place to make me until these past couple weeks I’ve been laid off. I’ve honestly never felt so happy and so free and I hope you can feel the same soon.

Advice to Management

I realize local management is suffering along with their employees, so I can’t criticize them too much. Upper management, you need to dump your CFO. He has somehow managed to run your company into the ground and make all your employees miserable, all in his attempt to line his own pockets. If he stays on, you will end up bankrupt and lose your firm. It’s sad how one person can ruin so many lives and your entire business, yet somehow he’s the only person you seem unwilling to axe... SMH

"Data Entry Specialist"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Wilkesboro, NC
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Wilkesboro, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda and a/c, nothing else.

Cons

Micromanaging from incompetent managers. Favoritism amongst management and other employees. Certain people could do, say or wear whatever they wanted while others were written up petty things. Some managers were related to one another which did not help the favoritism. Laying off people with no notice, no discussion, and then just expecting others to pick up the slack. Horrible place.

Advice to Management

Get some training on how to properly communicate, manage and in general how to deal with people. And pull your heads out of your rear ends.

"Run from here"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A.C. and no weekends are the only pros of working here.

Cons

They have a lot of employees that only do a half a day of work because they don't know how to do their job. Meanwhile the competent employees get loaded down with so much work they an barely finish. They have laid off numerous people over the past two weeks with no communication to the emoyees. This makes employee morale suffer. I have a feeling this place won't be around 2 years from now. Management is horrible from the bottom up, and they could all use more training on how to lead. Also they give a raise once every 5 years for 50 cents what a joke. Do yourself a favor and do not ever work at this place

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire quality people and learn how to manage and talk to your employees. Stop wasting money on things that do not create value for the company.

"Just Say No"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like mind games , there's a Pro

Cons

Weak manager . Will do anything to cover oneself . Speaks ill of former employees . Never know when you're being let go . Layoffs for two weeks straight now on different days of week . Employee Morale is at an ALL TIME LOW .

Advice to Management

Give notice .

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, door is open 24/7 so as long as you complete your number of hours by end of the week you are good - depending on who your manager is...

Cons

Way too much micromanagement from incompetent managers, hire competent people and you can eliminate so many positions whose sole job it is to monitor what the person under them is doing. Unwilling to hear input from employees on how to make processes more effective and efficient, have the mentality of "that's the way it's always been done, why change what isn't broke". Going through major layoffs, terrible company culture and toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Pay your female employees the same as your male employees, they are doing the same thing, if not better!!!

Brock & Scott, PLLC Response

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources

All staff are held to a high standard to meet client expectations. Brock & Scott has an open door policy, annual employee survey and regular performance reviews which encourage employee feedback... More

"Not the worst place to work."

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. They give 2 fifteen minute breaks. Steady workload. Insurance was reasonable.

Cons

Too much office drama. Management does not do a good job of choosing the right candidates for the job.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people!

8. "AWESOME PLACE TO HAVE A CAREER!!!!"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time

Pros

Very friendly work environment. Management makes sure you understand your job responsibilities and open to questions. Company growth is evident but not overwhelming.

Cons

The break room could be larger for lunch hours. But, that's it....GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT COMPANY!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated with respect, good benefits.

Cons

None everything is very nice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Bad Company with Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You can listen to music while you work
    - Some of the people you work with are pretty cool
    - Great job if you have no experience or formal education
    - OT is required which can be good, but see the negatives that come with it below.

Cons

- They do not appreciate their employees. They will likely claim in some copy/paste note that responds to this that they do. Take a look at their reviews and rating and see which you believe - the 100ish reviews or someone from HR sent in for damage control.

- Set schedules no longer exist. They will expect you to call in even if you are running one minute late. But, they will not let you know when you get to leave. (New policy.) They assign an unreasonable workload and expect you to complete it before leaving. Have kids to pick up? So sorry. Have a date? Cancel it. Their clients and files will come before every aspect of your life. (Unless you are management, in which case you come in later than everyone and leave earlier.)

- You will be required to work Saturdays. Again, work life balance is not something they strive for or even attempt. "Get the files done now" should be their motto.

- You will be criticized for every mistake you make. But, if you are good at what you do, you will only be rewarded with more work. Good luck getting even a "thank you".

- Management is comprised of people who can order you around, but have no idea what "leadership" means. If you decide to go to the interview, ask how many books or seminars they went to on leadership. The answer will likely be 0.

- Other offices are rude and arrogant. They call themselves "One Brock & Scott" but you'll find that that is not even remotely the case. And if there is a dispute, you will be wrong. They do not question any actions taken by the "higher up" departments.

- The pay is poor and their "raises" (if they have them at all, which is rare) are 3%ish. This translates into about .25 cents an hour. Hardly a raise at all in 2017. They also claim to pay everyone the same but they don't. They will likely offer you around $12 an hour and say that is the most they pay. From what I have seen they pay some people, who do the EXACT same job, $14 or $15 an hour. If you start at $12, you will NOT get higher than $12.50 over the course of a year or two so $14 or $15 will not happen. You will need to bargain for that at the start, if you choose to work for this poorly run company.

- This is not legal work and it would be a stretch to call it that. Your job will be to gather documents from various places and upload them into their software. Calling it a "legal assistant" is very misleading. Data entry is what it is and all it is.

- The work is extremely repetitive. You will essentially do the exact same thing every day all day. Grab documents, upload, enter information, repeat.

- They are not open to advice for improvement. (If you want to test this, see the message they post below. Count how many times they actually say they will look at improving something rather than trying to say it isn't true. Then, again, look at the other reviews and their canned responses.)

- Some higher level managers will require you to stay late while they head home. They don't have a file quota so they can leave to attend to their lives. You, however, will not ever get that luxury because your job is to make them money.

- There are plenty of other things that I have missed, but you can see them in the other reviews. Also take note of the date on the reviews. This is nothing new and it hasn't changed in years. If you think it will be different in 2018, you're likely wrong. If you got this far, only take this job if you are desperate or you are waiting for something better. This isn't the place to build a career in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Check out the following books:

- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership
    - Winning with People
    - Leaders Eat Last
    - How to Win Friends and Influence People

Learn how to lead instead of ordering people around. Learn that your employees are people and not machines, and when they are happy and following a true leader, they will produce more than you could ever get with anger and hostility. You'll also see your very low rating on here and other sites slowly go up. I won't hold my breath though. Good luck in your future endeavors.