Brock & Scott, PLLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Brock & Greg Scott

Pros
  • Nice people; Flexible schedule; Friendly coworkers ;paid time off ; insurance; attorneys are nice and recognize staff's value (in 8 reviews)

• Great People, Sufficient Paid Time Off & Great entry-level experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises given in the last few years (in 14 reviews)

• Greedy management, nepitism running rampant, not much room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Brock & Scott make you feel as if they value their employees. They let you contribute to changes to make it better and encourage you to think outside the box. Management has an open-door policy and is there to answer questions, discuss issues or just to have open communication. The people who work here are great and this company allows you to have a good work, life balance. They show appreciation by trying to do things on a regular basis for the employees. You see a lot of loyalty, which encourages people to want to stay and continue to work for this company.

Cons

Their benefits are competitive, but they could be better. They do not match the 401K plan currently, which I would like to see in the future.

Advice to Management

Though I have seen great strides with communication, I believe there could be more. I appreciate that management is there to listen to suggestions and allows us to be involved in changes and ensuring that it does assist us in making our processes better and not more work.

2. "Overall okay but that's due more to other staff not the firm as a whole."

Former Employee - Paralegal in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people work here. Staff helps each other and generally get along. Staff is trusted to work independently without micro management. They do try to plan activities for the office.

Cons

Leadership in management is lacking in areas. Few perks for employees. Yearly bonus for staff is not substantial. Periods of high turnover with staff and attorneys.

"Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbia, SC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location in Columbia and no werkend work

Cons

Immature managers. Low pay. Staff lack basic knowledge which weighs heavily on more experienced staff.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals.

Brock & Scott, PLLC Response

Apr 24, 2017 – Manager Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed to read your experience with Brock & Scott was not more positive. The Firm is committed to competitive pay for all our employees and regularly ... More

5. "Not recommended"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear jeans every day.

Cons

No raises (starting pay is not competitive by any means, expect to earn between $11 to $15 an hour)or bonuses, they do not match 401k or have any kind of profit-sharing plan, you only get 6 paid holidays and 11 vacation days with two “floating” holidays (vacation time you can use anytime you like - this is their way to make up for only 6 paid holidays), health insurance leaves a lot to be desired, the office location is not very attractive, …. I could go on.

Advice to Management

Brock & Scott (or at least the collections department) has a strong tendency to hire people with little to no legal experience, or even office experience.
    So those who actually have the education or legal background are not fully acknowledged or appreciated. After working there for over a year, I can say that I did not learn a single thing that I could apply at another law firm and honestly, I had a hard time putting the position on my resume and making it sound worthy enough for prospective employers. For those who are certified paralegals or have a paralegal degree/certificate, you can do much better. I only accepted the position because it was the first one offered to me and was just a paycheck while looking for my dream job, which unfortunately, took much longer than expected.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours and decent pay for the current job market.

Cons

Manager creates division among workers with gossiping and back stabbing, constantly repeating private conversations with favorite personnel.

Advice to Management

Since the manager isn't qualified for his positive and is the cause of most the problems. This company can't be helped.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

Pros

The worst company ever in the history of ever.

Cons

The worst company ever. Slave driving, penny pinching owners that do not care about their employees. Only clueless zombies with fake smiles head each department thinking they're going somewhere in the company. Terrible place, abuse every second of their time, do not work hard for them, just collect your paycheck and go home.

Advice to Management

Grow up

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Good first job to get some professional work experience.

Cons

Not a lot of money starting out so not the best if you have more than just yourself to support.

"Opporunities for Go-Getters"

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to advance for those willing to step up and solve issues. Management encourages teamwork and problem solving through collaboration and shows appreciation to staff and attorneys who do.
    In a declining foreclosure industry, the firm is broadening it's practice areas which opens up new opportunities for growth.
    Benefits are as good as other places I've worked, including generous pto, 401k and health.

Cons

It's a difficult industry as a whole, not for everyone.
    Some kind of 401k match or profit sharing would be a great tool for retaining top talent.

Advice to Management

Continue working to improve communication across the firm. Continue to listen to your employees and proactively seek out feedback from those who may not always speak up.

"Legal Assistant, full-time"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some really good people, can't really think of anything else about this company that is a pro, christmas bonus were good depending on how long you were with the company.

Cons

The pay is not that great. The management could be way better, seems like the employees below them know more than they do. Their idea of a promotion is way more work and maybe a little raise. They don't appreciate the hard working people at all. They show favoritism, certain people get away with things when others do not.

Advice to Management

Pay your hard working employees more, train managers better so they actually know what they are doing. Make things fair for everyone and maybe you will actually keep some good employees.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employer really cares for its employees. There is a lot of employer sponsored events such as Baseball Opener, Ice Cream Social and day out at Dave and Busters. Hours of overtime varied.

Cons

Pay raises were non existent to regular staff.

Advice to Management

Reviews were made but no raises given in the two years of employment.