Brock & Scott, PLLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 4, 2018

2.3
Tom Brock & Greg Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great People, Sufficient Paid Time Off & Great entry-level experience" (in 7 reviews)

• "Able to work and listen to music at the same time" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Greedy management, nepitism running rampant, not much room for advancement" (in 7 reviews)

• "There is no room for improvement" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Company that cares for it’s employees"

Current Employee - Management in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Management in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has made tremendous growth in it’s 20 years. They have constantly pushed family and work balance. They definitely understand the value of their employees and work diligently to invest in their employees. Just like with any big company there are things people may not always agree with, but this company has taken that in stride and cares about what their employees have to say.

Cons

Communication across the firm could be stronger.

"Came in enthusiastic and was depleted almost immediately"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Encouraged a work life balance

Cons

Communication very poor, teams not open to change and no accountability. Firm is growing but no clear direction.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Poor management, low salaries and always understaffed

Cons

Friendly co-workers and quick replies to employees' emails

"Thankful to Brock & Scott for my 3 years!"

Former Employee - SCRA/Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - SCRA/Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike a couple of the reviews below I highly disagree with , I would like to actually express gratitude to the firm for all they taught me ; A great , basic knowledge of real estate law and the different aspects that come with it. Partners encourage employees and reward with lunches , donuts , pizza days , ACC championship on in conference room , know people by name / nickname . This firm taught me so very much from my first days in Homeowner Assist up to SCRA . I gained so much knowledge and legal work experience from here , I can only be thankful to them for my experience with them . My position , like a few others, was dissolved and re- distributed and I am now at another real estate firm working in a new aspect of real estate law . Without Brock & Scott, and the knowledge I gained, I honestly would not have the new opportunity that I do now . I thank the attorneys , partners , owners and truly wish the firm it’s best in its future endeavors ! ( I’ll see some of you at the courthouse ! )

Cons

Sometimes we ran out of free coffee ( it makes you write something here )

Advice to Management

Don’t focus on the negative . Allow employees to get to HR more easily ( Wilmington has a great HR ) Keep encouraging like you do.

"The Elephant in the room."

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time

Pros

A certain former Manager. I don't believe any of the bs talked about him because he was one of the rare good points about B&S for a long time.

Cons

He's no longer here to fight for us like he always did when warranted. No one inspires like he did. Everyone's walking on eggshells, afraid to be the next person gone. He made coming to work bearable despite the actions from above and he did it consistently for many, many years.

Advice to Management

I don't know enough about other states to determine how he ranked, but his people worked the states of Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. How does one lose their job for that? I didn't think I'd miss his presence this much. This place no longer has a soul. I literally hate going to work/being at work. I reckon I'll have to do something about that.

it still seems weird, still doesn't make much sense to me. Almost seems 'calculated' behind the scenes. A lot of people have been saying that outside. I agree. he's missed.

"Abusive working conditions"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free forks and spoons in the break room

Cons

Low pay, poor benefits package, putting people in management positions who have no experience or ability to perform their job duties. Managers will threaten your job with a write up without giving clear corrective measures to fix a problem.

Advice to Management

Brock and Scott will never be One Brock and Scott with the current Chief Of Operations. Dump him before he runs this company in the ground.

"If you have any self dignity, do NOT bother with this company"

Former Employee - Contested Hearings Department in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Contested Hearings Department in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be some perks, like flexible hours and attendance, but those have all been taken away. The only thing left is the great coworkers, though they’re all miserable and fear for their jobs daily, so even that pro is fading.

Cons

You name it: pay, benefits, workloads, expectations... it’s all terrible. I spent 8yrs working in the Wilmington, NC office. From the beginning, there was nepotism and favoritism abounding and you knew there was little to no room for advancement without being related to or kissing up to those in charge. After nearly 2yrs, I found my niche in a department I loved. I saw the tens of thousands of dollars I brought in personally each month, and was bringing in about four times my salary every year; that was just me. My coworkers in my department were all bringing in similar amounts. Somehow, though I watched money rolling in, in 8yrs of employment I was only given $6K in pay increases. I was with the company 8yrs, 6yrs of which I was a litigation paralegal, and was making less than $30K/yr when I was laid off this month. That job should be making no less than $40K/yr. When my manager left in Jan of this year and her managerial duties were put on me and her case load split between me and my coworker, I started standing up for myself and seeking a raise. It’s no coincidence I was laid off within 4mos of asking to be paid what I deserved for the years of loyalty and hard work I’d provided and the additional duties being placed on my shoulders. They shrugged me off for months, promising they’d get me an answer to my request, then let me go to lose the squeaky wheel. With such a small salary and no chance of getting a decent raise (the years we did receive a raise, we received the company yearly increase standard of 1%-2%), I was unable to afford the medical benefits provided. 8yrs without healthcare because the rates are grossly overpriced for the meager wage they provide and, as a single person providing for myself without any financial help, I simply couldn’t afford to be insured. The company always claimed to provide the best benefits available to our firm and said they weren’t making enough money to give anyone a raise. Also, every year the HVAC goes out during the summer months and it takes, on average, 2-3wks for them to get the AC back. The windows are all sealed shut and the building has a tin roof. They will sometimes provide a few fans at the ends of each floor, but the temperature usually hovers in the low-mid 80s. If the heat is making you sick, you either power through or use your PTO to go home. This, too, they claim is too expense to properly fix and just put a band-aid on each summer when it inevitably goes down. I call BS on B&S! One of the founding partners flew the private jet from Winston-Salem up to Philly to get his favorite donuts for the staff in the Winston office. How can you tell your employees you can’t give them a raise, yet you abuse the use of the company plane? How can you gather us together 3wks before Christmas and tell us you can’t afford to give us our hard-earned bonuses while we’re standing in the company warehouse filled with one of the partner’s jet skis and motorcycles and boats and Mercedes, because he didn’t have room to personally store all his toys and put some into storage at the business warehouse?! This company is a joke! All the while, with no raises and no perks, you continue to let people go, dump their work on those remaining (who are already overworked) and demand they work harder and faster so they can make you the #1 firm in the state. While I couldn’t be happier to be away from the torturous work conditions you provide, I feel terrible for those still there and working their fingers to the bone for cents on the dollar of what you should be paying them. Though I was told when I started in my department no person should ever have more than 50 files because it’s too much to handle and you can't properly tend to each case as needed, my coworker and I had over 50 each when I was let go. Now, she’s got more than 100 cases, all on her own, and is being forced to do work for other departments which are also understaffed. Again, this company is a joke! If you enjoy being overworked for very little pay, terrible benefits, mandatory overtime, and a general lack of respect and appreciation, then Brock & Scott is the ideal job for you. If you have any self respect and love yourself, even a little, I implore you to seek another employer. When I was laid off, I was told if volume picked up they’d love to have me back and to continue checking in for openings. While I graciously said “thank you”, I thought ‘I’d rather starve in the streets than get roped back into this abuse!’. To those of you still there, get out ASAP. I didn’t realize just how miserable and bitter a person I’d allowed that place to make me until these past couple weeks I’ve been laid off. I’ve honestly never felt so happy and so free and I hope you can feel the same soon.

Advice to Management

I realize local management is suffering along with their employees, so I can’t criticize them too much. Upper management, you need to dump your CFO. He has somehow managed to run your company into the ground and make all your employees miserable, all in his attempt to line his own pockets. If he stays on, you will end up bankrupt and lose your firm. It’s sad how one person can ruin so many lives and your entire business, yet somehow he’s the only person you seem unwilling to axe... SMH

"Data Entry Specialist"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Wilkesboro, NC
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Wilkesboro, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda and a/c, nothing else.

Cons

Micromanaging from incompetent managers. Favoritism amongst management and other employees. Certain people could do, say or wear whatever they wanted while others were written up petty things. Some managers were related to one another which did not help the favoritism. Laying off people with no notice, no discussion, and then just expecting others to pick up the slack. Horrible place.

Advice to Management

Get some training on how to properly communicate, manage and in general how to deal with people. And pull your heads out of your rear ends.

"Run from here"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A.C. and no weekends are the only pros of working here.

Cons

They have a lot of employees that only do a half a day of work because they don't know how to do their job. Meanwhile the competent employees get loaded down with so much work they an barely finish. They have laid off numerous people over the past two weeks with no communication to the emoyees. This makes employee morale suffer. I have a feeling this place won't be around 2 years from now. Management is horrible from the bottom up, and they could all use more training on how to lead. Also they give a raise once every 5 years for 50 cents what a joke. Do yourself a favor and do not ever work at this place

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire quality people and learn how to manage and talk to your employees. Stop wasting money on things that do not create value for the company.

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Brock & Scott, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, door is open 24/7 so as long as you complete your number of hours by end of the week you are good - depending on who your manager is...

Cons

Way too much micromanagement from incompetent managers, hire competent people and you can eliminate so many positions whose sole job it is to monitor what the person under them is doing. Unwilling to hear input from employees on how to make processes more effective and efficient, have the mentality of "that's the way it's always been done, why change what isn't broke". Going through major layoffs, terrible company culture and toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Pay your female employees the same as your male employees, they are doing the same thing, if not better!!!

Brock & Scott, PLLC Response

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources

All staff are held to a high standard to meet client expectations. Brock & Scott has an open door policy, annual employee survey and regular performance reviews which encourage employee feedback... More