Brookdale Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brookdale Senior Living CEO T. Andrew Smith
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is focused solely on profits (in 94 reviews)

• Work life balance has been going downhill (in 28 reviews)

"Food Service"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent, dependable, dedicated and loyal long-term dietary personnel.

Cons

The Executive director is young and immature. She rides those who do an excellent job and favors the friends she has working for her. She decides who will be the target and targets the individual until they want to quit. Rules change depending on who is liked and not on performance.

Advice to Management

Do an incident and thorough investigation before taking someone's word to be true. Talk to residents and co workers before deciding ones fate. Those of us choose to work for you because we love what we do. Give us a fair shake.

2. "Not a good place at all"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albertville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albertville, AL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workers that are still there are a caring bunch.

Cons

Staff is being reduced, executive dir doesnt have a clue, they run out of staple foods, the menu for the Alzheimers Unit is pityful, french fries almost daily along with chicken fingers. If a worker doesnt play aling with "Brookdales Rules" out you go. Seems corp wants to "control" rather than use compassionate leadership. And...if a resident dies , expect the family to have to pay at least 2 more weeks after the apartment is vacated.

Advice to Management

Remember why you exist....caring for our senior adult population, not for $$$$$$$.

"Executive Director Sterling House"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High Quality Standards for Communities. However pay is low, health insurance sky high and turnover is unbelievable.

Cons

Way too much doc and Red tape and District Level push back. Every day thete is a new jump through crisis. Pay is 25k below industry norm. Am ED, HR, BOM and backup to all depts including 24 on call and covering floor etc.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple. Districk Team needs to provide better support at the community level. CMIP bonus plan is a joke and virtually not attainable as defined. Increase ED1 compensation with reasonable expectations. BEST NEES TO GO OR BE MODIFIED TO TYPE OF COMMUNITY. ONE AUDIT FOR ALL COMMUNITIES IS UNREALISTIC AND A SET UP......I COULD GO ON. Am updating resume for options.

4. "Lacking management"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kitchen staff are close knit and helpful.

Cons

Terrible management, low pay, expect a lot and give a little.

Advice to Management

Hire more workers instead of expecting the few workers you have to do multiple tasks at once

"Low pay need better 401"

Current Employee - Caregiver/Companion in Roseburg, OR
    Current Employee - Caregiver/Companion in Roseburg, OR

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Residents res res res res

Cons

I'm training people whom have no experience or very little
    But yet they are making
    50 to 75 cents more an hour then I am

I have many years of experience

Advice to Management

Good friend program
    Pay the refer
    What the new hire is starting at

"Major Disconnect & Regional Team is unprofessional"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is okay
    residents are a joy and staff

Cons

I would say as one other person said, there is a major disconnect. Company's expectations with staffing is ridiculous

Advice to Management

Management might not be the issue, but the corporation is performing to please shareholders..... the values of caring for people and pleasing shareholders don't go together..... at least it is apparent with this company.

"Perspective of a cook."

Current Employee - Cook in Fairlawn, OH
    Current Employee - Cook in Fairlawn, OH

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I make enough to support my family, barely.

Cons

Greedy, only 2% raises every year. Wonder why stock prices are plummeting? They treat their employees like disposables. Corporate doesn't care about anything but the rent checks. The Directors only care about making their bonus and ripping off anyone who gets in their way. Dont expect forty hours they have a mathematical equation to make sure that never happens. But do salaries go down when the the census goes down? Nope. The lowest paid people take the brunt of the impact.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and your stocks will go up. Stop gouging hours, its gunna hurt your bottom line even worse than it has already. 8 million salary last year Andy (ceo)? You can afford to pay your employees better.

"Dont care bout nobody but the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I meet alot of new friends

Cons

Benefits, pay, if u sick and have a note they still write you up, they can fired you if they want to without no reason and its in there handbook

Advice to Management

Care for your worker before you have none

9. "Server/Programming Coordinator"

Former Employee - Server in Manlius, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Manlius, NY

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Doing programming was a lot of fun.
    -Excellent benefits.
    -Working with the resident's was nice
    -They give you food, but it's limiting and terribly unhealthy.

Cons

-Our kitchen staff was very underpaid.
    -The food given to the residents isn't high quality. (Although better than most assistant living homes I have seen.)
    - Since it is a for-profit company, everything comes down to costs. We had 3 servers all serving over 20 residents per meal (About an hour and a half). Most days I couldn't keep up.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Coventry, RI
    Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Coventry, RI

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents are great. I loved working with them. They were all like my grandparents. Also, I made many friends in my department.

Cons

They hire idiots. I worked in dining and you wouldn't believe some of the morons they bring in there to work. They do a horrible job working, but don't get fired. It's almost like they don't care if their employees suck (oh wait! They don't!) Management is lazy. They either make good policies and don't enforce them, or make stupid policies and stick to them like glue. We never had enough staff, in dining and in the resident care department. They gave recognition to employees who did nothing and left all the empoyees who bust their butts in the dust. I knew a guy who volunteered to be a dishwasher, even though he was a server, because we didn't have anyone else. They took advantage of him and put him back there permanently. He hated it but did it anyway, as a favor to management. They never recognized him for it. The woman who sat around and never helped got employee of the month.
    They also care more about money than the residents. They switched from Sysco to US Foods, which is a lower quality food supplier. You can tell it's cheaper. The residents don't deserve to have disgusting low quality food and short staffed care.

Advice to Management

Look to what your true purpose in this field is supposed to be. You are taking care of our elderly. These people were once just like you. They fought in wars and had lives. They are someone's parent and someone's child. You should treat them like it. When you die, your money won't save you.
    Treat your employees a little better. Recognize true work and dedication. Fire people who are too dumb to know what their job is; better yet, don't hire them.
    Let people who leave the facility on good terms come back to visit residents. Who are you to block friendships like that?

Showing 384 of 1,945 reviews