Brookdale Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"for making a living"

Former Employee - Nurse in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Nurse in Overland Park, KS

Pros

non seriously non... i guess the check pays the bills

Cons

Looking down on the employeesv especially the minority

minorities not promoted;; they look down on them and when promotion comes they never climb up the ladder despite the applications they did

poor benefits... they should find better benefits for their employees and not just anything to say that they have the benefits

They should be equal opportunity for all those that work there and an open door policy is important and people should be free to express their ideas and they should know that their ideas will be listened to not just a formality

Advice to Management

dont look down on the minors, they have the know how too

"What is going on here???"

Former Employee - Cook in Longwood, FL
    Former Employee - Cook in Longwood, FL

Pros

I managed to work with some of the most talented co-workers. The knowlege and education we received and taught one another pushed me over and above anything I had been.
    The Residents shared with me their personal life knowledge and abilites and some of it was priceless.

Cons

I have never dealt with such a cowardly backstabbing lying group of salaried adults in my life. Twice I had to get pay an attorney to intervene before certain situations were abated. Where are the ethics in dealing with people?

Advice to Management

Honesty, Integrity and Fairness should be repeated over and over as a mantra.

"Off the Mark"

Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Rochester, NY

Pros

Best thing I can say about Brookdale is the pay. I was paid well at Brookdale, highest pay in my area for the work.

Cons

One work, Micro managed from a far. There was a box they wanted you to think outside of as long as the thinking was inside thier box. They lost focus on the residents and the staff that served the residents. It was a very hostile place to work. I am glad I am no longer there. Added 20 years to my life needlessly.

Advice to Management

Remember the little people...Remember the Residents...Its not always about the bottom line. And if you want to run the business as a 5 star business you have to have a 5 star budget to go along with it.

"Brookdale Respects Nothing But Their Bottom Line"

Former Employee - Home Health RN in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Home Health RN in Portland, OR

Pros

Only the salary. Very competitive. They think if they buy you off, you will ignore their deplorable ethics and inexperienced management.

Cons

Management is willing to break the Medicare rules to make a buck. Regional management ignores complaints of abusive, inept, unethical actions of local management. It is glaringly obvious they hire managers with no management training. 100% staff turnover in the year I worked there. Their goals/direction shifts with the tides. Staff is always looking over their shoulder. Very bad morale.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with a grain of ethics, experience managing people, and knowledge of Medicare rules. Listen to your staff and followup on repeat complaints.

"Imperial Plaza's shameful decision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

The residents are wonderful, most co-workers are wonderful as well, they too were taken advantage of by a greedy company who is using the economy as a means to literally steal from them

Cons

favoritism and preferential treatment to those who qualify to be in a certain clique
    minorities are looked down upon
    hard work means nothing to them, it doesn't matter if you are not a favorite
    they cut all full time people to 37.5 hour week with no notice nor nothing in writing
    10 hour monthly pay-cut that did not affect salaried workers who do less
    the mission statement is just a slogan they do not care about the residents nor the staff

Advice to Management

The people you kick around and look down on are the ones who you actually need the most to be successful.

"No respect for us"

Current Employee - Medication Aide in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Medication Aide in Gresham, OR

Pros

The residents and my fellow co-workers

Cons

There is no respect shown for anyone who does not work in management. Schedules are changed at a whim and hours are cut in half because they, who do not do the manual labor, think that there is not enough need for our current staffing even though our building is at almost 100% capacity with quite a few high acuity residents.
    The level of care that we are expected to give does not mesh with some of the people whom they have hired nor does it mesh with cutting our hours.

Advice to Management

Come out onto the floor and see how hard we work before you cut our hours with less than a weeks notice.
    Review your employees performance.

"Poor Management with Disorganized Corporate Groups"

Current Employee - Nurse in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Nurse in Valparaiso, IN

Pros

There are few positive notes one can attribute to this organization. They do offer 401K. However, that was greatly reduced as of 2008. Wages are all over the board with each staff memeber regardless of experience or education. Unfa

Cons

Wages are all over the board with each staff memeber regardless of experience or education. Unfair wages. Hrly wage does not compensate for the work expected of the employee we are expected to do the work of 2 people with minimal assistance. Management for this facility does a poor job the decisions are not ethical or fair. People in place of managerial positions lack experience and knowledge of basic nursing practices. Brookdale states it is an assisted living facility however, we care for skilled level patients with indwelling foley catheters, residents that require 2 people to lift or mechanical lifting devices with less than necessary staff which heavily burdens co-workers and is a physically demanding job. This is not ethical or even meeting basic state guidelines in many cases. Nurses are required to do activities, laundry,housekeeping,waitressing,and CNA work as well as nursing duties such as charting, passing medications, calling MD, calling orders, getting lab reports and it creates a very hostile and negative work environment. Brookdale prides itself on wordy cornerstone sayings which is all a bunch of hot air. It's a money making machine that takes advantage of hiring skeleton crews of staff to do TONS of work for little pay. Brookdale charges the residents gross amounts of money to live at the facility yet makes little effort to provide basic necessary steps to provide the staff to care for these skilled level geriatric residents. The staff suffers and the bottom line is we cannot provide the care effectively for the residents. The sales person is not medically qualified however, this person does the initial assessment of the patient it's just baffling. How can a person that isn't qualified or legally permitted to adhere a bandage to a patient but is allowed to do a head to toe assessment on a patient permitted to do so? Because this facilities bottom line is "A head in the bed" creates money so the "bottom line" will take care of it self. Well, it doesn't.

Advice to Management

The corporate office is GOD with the final say. Everything that is done is done without regards to the individual needs of each facility they base their bylaws on a facility that exists near the corporate headquarters with blatant disregard to the individual needs of each facility as their own entity. It's just gross neglect.......they take the hard earned money saved by these elderly people and provide the most minimal assets with skeleton crews of staff. The amount of money they pay they should be able to have alot of staff with gourmet meals served daily. But it's not so. Where is the excess going? Not to the residents not to the staff wages. Where does it go? The CEO Mr Sheriff is lacking in vision and empathy it's shameful. And this is the "Golden Years" for these folks? I don't think so. Then the staff is left to deal the wrath of the residents and their families. The staff is expected to do the work of 2 people so how can you effectively care for a residents needs? How can you oversee their social, mental, physical care daily when you are doing the work of 2? You can't. Someone will suffer for this oversight and sadly it's the resident. It creates a very hostile and negative work environment that provides poor care with management that is less than empathetic and fair. Have managers in place that go by the printed rules you have provided for Brookdale. Hire managers that are experienced and professional. Why would a facility go through 3 Health and Wellness directors in less than a year? Why would each of those individuals leave without notice? Something is wrong it would appear.........don't you think? Or do you turn a blind eye to this as well.

"Bad example on how to conduct business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Residents are wonderful. Many talented rank and file employees. Basically nice real property.

Cons

Management treats rank and file employees like third class citizens. Management offers no real leadership. Various forms of discrimination are practiced by management. Management slants what they tell residents to hide where they and property are lacking. Staff is left without requested training and supplies to do a proper and complete job. Open door policy is acepted only if employees say what management wants to hear, otherwise be prepared to be called a trouble maker and have your job threatened. Families have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes. This place is not employee or resident friendly. requests and ideas for improvements by rank and file employees are brushed off by management. Management openly make snide remarks about rank and file employees and select residents. All management cares about is how much money they can take in without making any future investment in their business.

Advice to Management

The local management team needs to be cleared out and all new managers that have done the work of rank and file employees in the past, and fully appreciate the basic operations, should be put in leadership positions. There are too many academics in charge and not enough who know what it is like to be a nurse, cna, cook, housekeeper, etc. The best run businesses are those that have leadership that have worked their way up from the bottom.

"Find a Better Place to Work if You Can"

Former Employee - Assisted Living Aide in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assisted Living Aide in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Place is furnished nicely. The dining room, activity room and mezzamine have a lot of potential. The residents are lovely people. They generally treat the staff quite well. The apartments are adequate.

Cons

Management attitude ranges from disinterest to neutral at the best. Resident complaints are not addressed or considered a nuisance. the kitchen does not keep staff long enough to establish continuity in training the staff in cooking to a decent quality, and meals are served with erratic efficiency.

Advice to Management

Come out of your tower and interact more with the residents and the employees.

"ARC…Best Company Ever “WAS” right? Bill Sheriff BSL…Don‘t Care about Employees!!!"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator in Nashville, TN

Pros

The Residents... they were great!! Gosh, I wish I had something POSETIVE to say about BSL ... but nothing comes to mind. Oh wait... they do except Resignations so that is a PLUS ......

Cons

hum.... well they are overly demanding, they let the Executive Directors distroy a great team... they never listen to their good employees, they just fire them. Cut your hrs but expect more work out of you ... at this community you get a new Executive Director each year, just in the 2 yrs that I was there... I had 3 Executive Director and the 3rd one left 4 month after I left so now they are on their 4th Executive Director so what does that tell you... I think I would found me a new Regional Director. It's sad that a company like BSL would come in and take over a GREAT company... American Retirement Corporation "ARC" and just destroy it like they have.... Shame on you!!!

Advice to Management

Let the department managers run their department….If they are managers then tell them they are managers….don’t tell them that the Executive Director or any other top Executives are their support because there is No Support…. You listen to your employees and fix the problem, take care of the issues and concerns…. YOU DON’T FIRE THEM!!!!!
    I’m a firm believer that you reap what you so….

Showing 1,970 of 1,991 reviews