Brookdale Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

T. Andrew Smith

2,198 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Brookdale Ignores Employee Concerns"

Former Employee - Maintenance Director in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Maintenance Director in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The residents are great people, & most of the employees are great people. At the local level everything runs fine, when Corp. shows up, motivation goes out the window, along with good employees. They would rather make it harder on the residents & employees than to admit they had made a mistake.

Cons

Corp. Management arrogance when entering a property. Because of these people, a good work place lost the Exect. Director, the Dining Manager, the Head Nurse, the Maintenance Director, the RCC. Corp. would not listen to nor acknowledge employee complaints. The heads of this Corp. need to come back down to earth & realize they hire folks like me to take care of their properties & then ignore if they don't like what they are hearing.

Advice to Management

The Corp. did finally fire the Corp. problem. But not until they lost a good staff, even when they were being told about the problem months in advance. They felt they could not possibly be wrong in any decission they made. EGO Central at this Corp.

"for making a living"

Former Employee - Nurse in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Nurse in Overland Park, KS

Pros

non seriously non... i guess the check pays the bills

Cons

Looking down on the employeesv especially the minority

minorities not promoted;; they look down on them and when promotion comes they never climb up the ladder despite the applications they did

poor benefits... they should find better benefits for their employees and not just anything to say that they have the benefits

They should be equal opportunity for all those that work there and an open door policy is important and people should be free to express their ideas and they should know that their ideas will be listened to not just a formality

Advice to Management

dont look down on the minors, they have the know how too

"Resident care should be top priority, but money leads the way."

Current Employee - Speech Therapist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Speech Therapist in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Nice, clean facility with great patients

Cons

The constant focus on productivity and making money

Advice to Management

Reinforce what your company says is their focus - the residents and their treatment. Demonstrate appreciation for employees when they do a good job, not just when they make you money.

"Brookdale turns to the dark side."

Former Employee - Regional Vice President
    Former Employee - Regional Vice President

Pros

None, anymore. There are still a handful of good people there.

Cons

Job performance doesn't matter when positions are eliminated. If you weren't with ARC when the buyout happened, forget about your advancement, future, or your job. The mission and values no longer have real meaning to the upper management, if ever. In the end, it's a business who's middle management people are all expendable. It's sad really.

Advice to Management

You talk the talk, but you don't walk the walk. It's shameful in what BSL has become since the ARC acquisition. Time will tell...........

"Very Disappointed In This Company"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

Benefits and salary very competitive

Cons

It is sad that Brookdale does not give directors the respect and support they deserve and that their position requires. They do not respect and appreciate the hard work and commitment of their directors, and it is the very reason they have so much turnover. I agree with the other reviewer in that senior management talks the talk, but do not walk the walk. I was very disappointed with this company, and it's lack of respect for it's people.

Advice to Management

It would be great if Brookdale management followed their own cornerstones. If you treat people right, the bottom line will take care of itself.

"What is going on here???"

Former Employee - Cook in Longwood, FL
    Former Employee - Cook in Longwood, FL

Pros

I managed to work with some of the most talented co-workers. The knowlege and education we received and taught one another pushed me over and above anything I had been.
    The Residents shared with me their personal life knowledge and abilites and some of it was priceless.

Cons

I have never dealt with such a cowardly backstabbing lying group of salaried adults in my life. Twice I had to get pay an attorney to intervene before certain situations were abated. Where are the ethics in dealing with people?

Advice to Management

Honesty, Integrity and Fairness should be repeated over and over as a mantra.

"Off the Mark"

Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Rochester, NY

Pros

Best thing I can say about Brookdale is the pay. I was paid well at Brookdale, highest pay in my area for the work.

Cons

One work, Micro managed from a far. There was a box they wanted you to think outside of as long as the thinking was inside thier box. They lost focus on the residents and the staff that served the residents. It was a very hostile place to work. I am glad I am no longer there. Added 20 years to my life needlessly.

Advice to Management

Remember the little people...Remember the Residents...Its not always about the bottom line. And if you want to run the business as a 5 star business you have to have a 5 star budget to go along with it.

"Brookdale Respects Nothing But Their Bottom Line"

Former Employee - Home Health RN in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Home Health RN in Portland, OR

Pros

Only the salary. Very competitive. They think if they buy you off, you will ignore their deplorable ethics and inexperienced management.

Cons

Management is willing to break the Medicare rules to make a buck. Regional management ignores complaints of abusive, inept, unethical actions of local management. It is glaringly obvious they hire managers with no management training. 100% staff turnover in the year I worked there. Their goals/direction shifts with the tides. Staff is always looking over their shoulder. Very bad morale.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with a grain of ethics, experience managing people, and knowledge of Medicare rules. Listen to your staff and followup on repeat complaints.

"Imperial Plaza's shameful decision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

The residents are wonderful, most co-workers are wonderful as well, they too were taken advantage of by a greedy company who is using the economy as a means to literally steal from them

Cons

favoritism and preferential treatment to those who qualify to be in a certain clique
    minorities are looked down upon
    hard work means nothing to them, it doesn't matter if you are not a favorite
    they cut all full time people to 37.5 hour week with no notice nor nothing in writing
    10 hour monthly pay-cut that did not affect salaried workers who do less
    the mission statement is just a slogan they do not care about the residents nor the staff

Advice to Management

The people you kick around and look down on are the ones who you actually need the most to be successful.

"No respect for us"

Current Employee - Medication Aide in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Medication Aide in Gresham, OR

Pros

The residents and my fellow co-workers

Cons

There is no respect shown for anyone who does not work in management. Schedules are changed at a whim and hours are cut in half because they, who do not do the manual labor, think that there is not enough need for our current staffing even though our building is at almost 100% capacity with quite a few high acuity residents.
    The level of care that we are expected to give does not mesh with some of the people whom they have hired nor does it mesh with cutting our hours.

Advice to Management

Come out onto the floor and see how hard we work before you cut our hours with less than a weeks notice.
    Review your employees performance.

Showing 2,198 of 2,223 reviews