Brookdale Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "communication"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Largo, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Staff and coworkers were friendly and professional with me in all the settings. Independent living, assisted living, memory care units on multiple Brookdale properties.

Cons

lack of organization and communication from the management office to workers in the fields. Management has many turnovers in office staff.

Advice to Management

Vetting of incoming office staff .

2. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Enjoy the the co-worker And residents and Love the Atmosphere.

Cons

There are no downside of the job

Advice to Management

I would refer anyone to the job

3. "Ok lots of locations. Short and overworked staff"

Pros

Lots of different locations and therefore opportunities to move up within the company. Giving back to the community and providing support

Cons

Corporate focused not so much attention to employees and positive reinforcement but quick to correct and at times scold on the ground level most staff enjoy the community.

Advice to Management

Look at the whole picture. Sometimes it’s hard to see the Forrest thru the trees.

4. "Pretty nice working in there"

Pros

Love the residents in there, love the food in there too

Cons

I think will be always work short staff members

Advice to Management

Hire more reliable workers

5. "Health and Wellness Coordinator"

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

The residents and coworkers are wonderful. Free meals at work.

Cons

The corporation is top heavy- the old adage "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" applies. Health insurance has high deductibles.

Advice to Management

Add more workers that do the day to day work

"Resident Program Director"

Former Employee - Resident Program Director in South Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Resident Program Director in South Seattle, WA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At first, job was nice & felt like I was adding to the Residents quality of life. Residents are for the most part wonderful, they mostly desire love and attention, a simple hug means so much to them. They thank you so much for that simple touch. That touches your heart more than you would ever have thought.

Cons

Management is awful. Getting days off was literally impossible. For example, I requested a holiday off, then found out in a management meeting someone had to work & they made me even after my day off was approved. I was the only manager to help out in other departments, that quickly did not work in my favor, I was ostracized by other managers, left out of decisions & changes that affected my department were made without my knowledge & was “talked too” by ED regarding the changes & why I was not finished. Ummm, helps if someone actually informs me!
    Overtime is frowned open, in some instances possibly even a “corrective action” will take place. Had that talk with my ED, then she asked me to stay late that day & the next. Hard to stay within 37.5 hours if you are asked to stay late to help out in other departments! Demands are unreasonable & often do not make sense. Your safety is not their main concern, only if you can work. One instance, I was hurt quite badly & my ED, made me feel guilty. Sexual harassment is another issue. Another staff member was VERY inappropriate & I informed my ED. I don’t even think she heard me, let alone did anything about it. In any other place there would have been an investigation.
    Residents do complain non-stop, it gets very trying after awhile.

Advice to Management

Help out. When there is a shortage of care staff, get out of your office and help out! Show some compassion to the hardest working employees in the building. Listen instead of judging & care about your staff’s working environment. When you have multiple staff out or on light duty due to L&I issues, it’s time to evaluate procedures. Do not make a staff member feel guilty for an on the job injury, it is often the unsafe environment or lack of proper staff to complete a task. One staff members can not transfer a 250lb resident on their own without getting hurt.
    Make every person feel like part of a team, not just the ones you like better.
    The pay scale is very inadequate. The dishwashers make around $11 an hour & up, along with the hardest workers (care staff), while a junior chef makes $16, and a chef makes $18.
    Med Tech $12-15 an hour, nurses wage is a little better, but on the low end of they were to work in say a hospital. Resident Programs makes $16. While a counterpart 10 miles a way with Lee experience makes $18. This job requires a DOT card to drive Residents in the van, for the level of responsibility, the pay does NOT fit the job requirements.. The ED & HWD get a base pay & bonuses. That is all they care about. Not whether their staff should be making a living wage. It’s insulting & disheartening to hear. The HWD does care about the staff, however, often makes unreasonable promises, & that extra work falls on the already over-worked staff.

7. "Management is horrible, rude, and lazy"

Former Employee - Cook in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cook in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents and very little staff

Cons

Management is lazy, rude, and disorganized. The maintenance person spends so much time cleaning carpets they cannot fix issues with building. Kitchen is extremely nasty, staffed by 2 cooks and 1 usually does nothing all day but hang out in managers office complaining about having to work. Most of the aides spend their days and nights sitting around doing homework or watching football.
    The pay is terrible and there is absolutely no paid time off, if you request it, they want to rearrange your schedule so you don't get the paid hours, if you leave you wont see a dime of what you have accured. There is never enough staff on shift for any department. They actually expect cooks to unclog toilets. Gossip is rampant and if you don't talk to anyone to give fodder for gossip, they make it up. Laziest bunch of people i have ever worked with.

Advice to Management

Stop having so many meetings and events and get out there and work like you expect your staff to do. Maybe then you will concider hiring enough people to do the job and stop coddling those lazy ones.

8. "Not perfect but a good place"

Current Employee - Resident Care Coordinator
    Current Employee - Resident Care Coordinator

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance. Education reimbursement options. Awesome coworkers and residents. Good schedule. Management does care about associates and residents.

Cons

Budget cuts. Pay is lower than industry average. Lots of paper compliance.

Advice to Management

Consider doing more market pay analysis. We are losing great people due to lower pay. Give associates more opportunities to voice opinions and concerns in a safe environment. Reward strong associates more for great performance. Annual raises are barely cost of living increase.

9. "Med Tech"

Current Employee - Med Tech in Troutdale, OR
    Current Employee - Med Tech in Troutdale, OR

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with 2 caregivers in the building who are great workers and kind to the residents. Great cook.

Cons

Staff is very rude to the residents. They make them wait long periods before they take them to the bathroom many employees have also been seen eating the residents food. All the staff that has been working at brookdale for 5 years plus act like they own the building and push all the new people out who are caring and hardworking. Management is barely in the building and all the staff have zero accountability. If you bring a problem up to the management you will be treated like your the problem.. extremely unproffesional corporation. They only care about money period!

Advice to Management

Come to work more than to days a week and leave your slippers at home. Stop listening to your moles who just harrass all the new people and fire sone of the night shift who sleep.

10. "Wearer of many hats"

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Large company that can offer a variety of perks and Benefits to its associates

Cons

Large company that can't give straight answers or clear guidelines.

Advice to Management

Leave the politics, drama and retaliation at home.

Showing 2,195 of 2,220 reviews