Brookdale Senior Living Sales and Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2018

2.1
Brookdale Senior Living President and CEO Lucinda Cindy Baier
Lucinda Cindy Baier

"Great support with corporate"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Support, challenging, rewarding. I have been with Brookdale for four years next week. I have worked for a competitor and I have to say that working for Brookdale has been the best decision of my life.

Cons

We need to have a really good team put together an order to make this a successful business. There has been ups and downs and management. Your executive director has to be the strongest member of your team and unfortunately that is not always the case.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-10-28

"Sales and Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Decent pay, and benefits, nice office in most cases for the sales position.

Cons

They'll rip you off, if your ED isnt good the entire team especially management hates their lives, they make their systems entirely too complicated, I was told to work off the clock, there is a lot of pressure from the top down.

Advice to Management

Evaluate EDs MORE before hiring them or transferring from one role to another.

Brookdale Senior Living2018-05-04

"Sales and Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Residents were sweet and interesting.

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations. Poor pay, terrible working conditions, unfair comparisons within sales districts...some buildings beautiful with great services and team while other buildings falling apart in desperate need of renovations without any services and no teamwork. Absolutely no work life balance, but they want you to spread out your 40 hour week to almost every day of the month. And if you complain or don't preform to their unattainable goals...then you will get put on a plan and be forced to resign or will be fired. In my area...I saw multiple EDs, Sales Managers, Nurses, and Program Directors get put on a plan and some fired without notice!! Totally unprofessional! After 6 months of STRESS and low pay....I started to look for a new job and got outta there by 7 months. Totally disappointing experience and wouldn't waste my time.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent and heart in your current employees. Put some money into your buildings and improve pay and compensation and make your employees feel good about the job they are doing. This will reduce constant staff turnover...maybe more than 20% will decide to stay longer than using this company as a stepping stone to a better company in senior living. Be the Better Company!

Brookdale Senior Living2018-04-05

"Brookdale/Emeritus merge=BIG MISTAKE It's been 3 years and getting worse by the day."

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, free lunch, had some really great team 'on the ground' members, and enjoyed the friendships made with our residents.

Cons

Lower than average pay, regional support is nil. Constant rate increases, pricing themselves right out of their local markets. $5 per day is not realistic to feed each of your residents.

Advice to Management

Since the acquisition of Emeritus by Brookdale, some (A.L.) of the middle management operations team that came directly from Emeritus, are below Brookdale standards. It's been 3 years, and I'm sure the very heavy layer of middle management have their burdens to bear, but several in the West division are devoid of any type of problem solving abilities, (A.L.) and tend to make decisions based on their egos versus the big picture. Some DDO's in particular attempt to lead by fear and intimidation, as opposed to team work and genuine motivation. Many are seriously missing the solid people skills that are needed to lead and truly inspire the Operations and Sales teams. Monitor your DDO's they (A.L.) are leading the charge on your declining occupancy out West.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-10-05
  5. "Sales and Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Odessa, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family, Faith, Job in that order

Cons

I have no cons at this present time

Brookdale Senior Living2017-08-28

"Sales and Marketing Managet"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation time is pretty good and turnover pretty low compared to other companies

Cons

A little too corporate with their collateral per community should be more customizable

Advice to Management

Do not really have much advice at this particular moment

Brookdale Senior Living2017-06-08

"Brookdale is destined to be the next 'MySpace'"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I no longer work for this money-hungry, bottom line only, RESIDENTS DON'T COME FIRST company. Families, run the other way before you decide to pay $5000 per month just for rent.

Cons

Since the acquisition of Emeritus by Brookdale, many of the middle management operations team that came directly from Emeritus, are below Brookdale standards. I'm sure the very heavy layer of middle management have their burdens to bear, but several in the West division are devoid of any type of problem solving abilities, and tend to make decisions based on their egos versus the big picture. Some DDO's in particular attempt to lead by fear and intimidation, as opposed to team work and genuine motivation. Many are seriously missing the solid people skills that are needed to lead and truly inspire the Operations and Sales teams. Monitor your DDO's, they are leading the charge on your declining occupancy out West.

Advice to Management

Trim your layer of middle-management fat starting with several of your egotistical, out of hand DDO's (A.L.) in the So. Cal/West Region.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-05-07

"Former employee"

Sales and Marketing Manager in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living for more than a year

Pros

Loved the residents and families.

Cons

Big corporation and strong armed sales tactics.

Brookdale Senior Living2016-11-18

"Run! Life is to short to deal with their BS!"

Sales and Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The residents are amazing. The things I learned from their life stories I will never forget. SOME of the employees were worth their weight in gold.

Cons

Brookdale! Brookdale! Brookdale! The company is the main con. The "C" level of management was a revolving door because the stock is in a free fall. That is what ya get when you over promise and greatly under deliver to Wall Street. Their "merge" with Emeritus was poorly thought out and the company is still suffering from the transition. The emphasis is on butts in beds, not quality of care. But, poor help is what you get when you pay Care Associates $9/hr to wipe butts. Not sure where they find some of the Exec Directors, but they are either grossly incompetent or used car salesman in disguise.

Advice to Management

I know you have to keep investors happy, but try to remember why you are in business. The residents are someone's mom and dad, not just an income source!

Brookdale Senior Living2016-09-09

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well maintained communities. Friendly staff. Fantastic residents that make work enjoyable.

Cons

Regional team is unrealistic. Told to have at least 4 move ins a month. In a community like assisted living it's and easy task. Selling independent living is a completely different element. It's not need driven at all so it's a much longer process. Regional has the mentality that everyone is replaceable. I am a top seller and have several awards yet none of that matters. Executive directors are uneducated. Most without degrees that like to lead with power instead of actual leadership. More of who you know to move up. Bonus structure is pathetic and does not factor how hard or long it takes to move someone into a community.

Advice to Management

Really evaluate your regional team. They don't give a crap about employees only care about making their own bonuses. Fire ED'S that don't have degrees and have been written up several times in the past. Make a more positive culture and treat your employees like humans not puppets.

Brookdale Senior Living2016-04-13