Brookdale Senior Living "residents are great" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2019

2.9
Brookdale Senior Living President and CEO Lucinda Cindy Baier
Lucinda Cindy Baier
  1. "Constant turnover. Terrible Management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Residents are great! Coworkers were great too! Meals provided. Wish I could think of more but nothing more comes to mind.

Cons

Management does not care about good employees just about the bottom dollar and will work you all the time. Management does not walk the walk ! Management is awful. Don’t be fooled going in! They talk a good game!

Advice to Management

Reward your great employees! Constant turnover ! Pay raises are a joke! Employees need work/life balance. Management makes sure they get theirs though! Upper Management only concerned about themselves looking good!

Brookdale Senior Living2018-04-15
  2. "Very Engaged Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Caring staff. Great residents.

Cons

none I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Brookdale Senior Living2018-02-19
  3. "West Hartford Worst Place Ever"

Current Employee - Rca in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents are great! They deserve better.

Cons

The ED is the biggest con here. in more than one way. Con as a negative and con as deceptive.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ED she is horrible, plays favorites has her friends and treats the rest of us like dirt,

Brookdale Senior Living2018-01-28
  4. "Server"

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule Decent Pay Room for Promotions Residents are great and make work enjoyable

Cons

Working with kids who don't want to work hard

Brookdale Senior Living2017-11-04
  5. "Unhappy all over"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wooster, OH

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents are great and fun to be around. They always put a smile on your face, despite the challenges they bring.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate, residents and families consistently unhappy and not adequately taken care of, shortened hours due to no money from no move ins.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-11-14
  6. "Director Dining Services"

Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary, weekends off, rewarding to work with great residents

Cons

Hourly workers are not paid well, corporate management constantly changing policies and systems, raising rent for residents while cutting quality

Advice to Management

Take better care of front line staff

Brookdale Senior Living2017-10-06

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay good holidays and benefits great residents rewarding career

Cons

Upper management is out of touch.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your teams. Afterall, WE are the ones on the front lines...please be respectful when addressing, collaborating and working with us.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-09-11
  8. "Horrible company"

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

The residents are great and that's pretty much it.

Cons

Poor staffing: there would only be one RA on each floor and we had three floors. Fake advertisement for the good people program: my coworker's friend was hired because of her but she never got her .50 raise. The reason was because her friend needed to work one year before she got it which they never said. Horrible management: they act like they care about your wellbeing when they first hire you but it's just a front. They stop caring once you're on.

Advice to Management

Learn to actually care about your residents, staff, and company if you really want a good working environment. Don't just tell us how great you are, but actually show it! Also, hire more people and stop using agency! You're wasting more money that way when you can just hire more people.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-09-13
  9. "Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in West Columbia, SC

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Great co workers, Great residents pay was okay but could of been better.

Cons

Sometimes you work by yourself. The place is not fully staff.

Advice to Management

Management was awful. Really not a great place to work. Management showed a lot of favoritism. The place needs to be shut down.

Brookdale Senior Living2017-08-20

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Coventry, RI

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The residents are great. I loved working with them. They were all like my grandparents. Also, I made many friends in my department.

Cons

They hire idiots. I worked in dining and you wouldn't believe some of the morons they bring in there to work. They do a horrible job working, but don't get fired. It's almost like they don't care if their employees suck (oh wait! They don't!) Management is lazy. They either make good policies and don't enforce them, or make stupid policies and stick to them like glue. We never had enough staff, in dining and in the resident care department. They gave recognition to employees who did nothing and left all the empoyees who bust their butts in the dust. I knew a guy who volunteered to be a dishwasher, even though he was a server, because we didn't have anyone else. They took advantage of him and put him back there permanently. He hated it but did it anyway, as a favor to management. They never recognized him for it. The woman who sat around and never helped got employee of the month. They also care more about money than the residents. They switched from Sysco to US Foods, which is a lower quality food supplier. You can tell it's cheaper. The residents don't deserve to have disgusting low quality food and short staffed care.

Advice to Management

Look to what your true purpose in this field is supposed to be. You are taking care of our elderly. These people were once just like you. They fought in wars and had lives. They are someone's parent and someone's child. You should treat them like it. When you die, your money won't save you. Treat your employees a little better. Recognize true work and dedication. Fire people who are too dumb to know what their job is; better yet, don't hire them. Let people who leave the facility on good terms come back to visit residents. Who are you to block friendships like that?

Brookdale Senior Living2017-05-15