Brookhaven Retreat Reviews | Glassdoor

Jacqueline Dawes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Staff"

I have been working at Brookhaven Retreat full-time

Pros

I was very nervous because of the negative reviews on here, but that has not been my experience at all. The executive team (program director, ceo,and the owner) are constantly working to make the staff and the program better. They do take clients' suggestions seriously and try to accommodate any special needs. As an employee, I feel valued by my superiors. I do feel like I can address any problems with them.

Cons

Our clients have complex mental health issues. If you can't handle working with patients like that, you shouldn't apply here. Also, with residential programs you don't have the downtime like you would with an outpatient facility. If neither of these things bother you, you would fit in great.

2. "Physician"

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

Pros

I have worked with the clients at Brookhaven Retreat as a specialty referral physician. I have always found the staff to be professional, knowledgeable, kind and caring towards the clients. The clients are amazing women who have faced the toughest life challenges, but choose to try to persevere. They are always complimentary of the care they are receiving by the Brookhaven Staff.

Cons

None that I am aware of.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a nurturing environment for the clients and staff.

3. "A transformational workplace"

I worked at Brookhaven Retreat full-time

Pros

A beautiful place to work, with a tranquil environment and friendly staff.

The owner, Jacqueline, is a self-made woman whose grit and dedication are inspirational. She invests significantly in the development of her employees. Her attention to helping employees be their best selves helped me grow significantly in my career and as a woman. Yes, growth can be uncomfortable and frightening - as are most things that propel us into the unknown - but my experience working there was transformative.

If you are looking for a competitive salary, a meaningful job, and to be pushed to develop in your career, I recommend working here!

Cons

Jacqueline shows up with her whole heart in her business every day, and expects staff to do the same. These expectations and the nature of a treatment facility are challenging for some employees, leading to some staff turnover, which can be disheartening at times, though understandable.

Advice to Management

It has been a while since I have worked at BHR, so I cannot speak to how things are going there now. I suppose my only "advice" is to keep doing what you are doing, for it is important work.

"Decent pay but indecent working conditions"

Former Employee - PCC in Seymour, TN
    Former Employee - PCC in Seymour, TN

I worked at Brookhaven Retreat part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where Brookhaven is located is a beautiful part of Tennessee

Cons

The owner of Brookhaven, Jacqueline Dawes, erratic behavior towards employees and unscrupulous way of running a mental health care facility for women, where money overrides good health care should be investigated.

Advice to Management

I saw the mistreatment of both clients and employees at the hands of Jacqueline Dawes. I urge upper management to find a way to make the public at large aware of how families and clients are taken advantage of at Brookhaven Retreat. All too often families were convinced to keep their loved ones there under false pretenses, strictly for profit not what is in the best interest of their loved one.

"Run Far and Fast!"

Former Employee - Primary Therapist in Seymour, TN
    Former Employee - Primary Therapist in Seymour, TN

I worked at Brookhaven Retreat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, that's it. But money cannot buy you happiness and I guarantee you will not be happy.

Cons

While at this job I was screamed at by the owner, demeaned, verbally abused, I witnessed the owner lie to the clients, lie to the staff, and manipulate the therapists to compete for "length of stay." The therapists are not judged by their effectiveness, but judged on how long they can keep a client at the facility. It doesn't matter if they're effective, they just have to bring money in. I have witnessed and received complaints regarding abuse from a particular therapist to clients.
    I watched he owner manipulate client families by saying their daughter/wife was going to die if they didn't keep them there longer.
    I had the owners religious doctrine pushed on me, I felt pressured to attend a conference at the owners church gathering, I declined and shortly after my own job was questioned and "on the line."
    I witnessed the owner refer to breast milk as a "biohazard" that "could not be kept in a refrigerator with people's food."

Run. I should have headed the advice of others and never taken the job. I didn't, and my whole family paid the price.

You can't get even better pay at other places, you just have to look hard and don't settle. This place is NOT worth even applying.

Advice to Management

Sell. Pay off the debt you owe and leave people alone. You can't fill the void you have in your heart by trying to help others, help yourself and leave everyone else alone.

"Never Again"

I worked at Brookhaven Retreat (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is difficult to come up with a 20 word minimum pro for Brookhaven Retreat. Only pro I can think of is the serene surrounding.

Cons

I worked here for 5years. I came back from maternity leave and the executive director refused to let me take break to pump and when she gave me "permission" I had to do it in the bathroom. I then put in my thirty days notice and she was not a happy camper. Thankfully, my family and I moved back to my home state and I now work for an awesome place.

Advice to Management

Get some professional help yourself.

Mar 28, 2017 – Executive Director

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your time at Brookhaven Retreat.

Brookhaven Retreat makes every effort to accommodate special needs of its employees to the extent that they can... More

7. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Business Development in Seymour, TN
    Former Employee - Business Development in Seymour, TN

I worked at Brookhaven Retreat full-time

Pros

Wonderful experience working with both staff and clients. Gained valuable insight into the operation of a specialized treatment facility. Very rewarding to see the impact of the program in the lives of the clients. Owner is passionate about maintaining excellence in every area.

Cons

Staff turnover. This is a specialized treatment facility and is challenging, therefore it is not for everyone. Employees should carefully considered if they are a good fit for working in mental health. This could impact the turnover rate substantially.

Advice to Management

Continue to place the highest priority on client care. Encourage staff engagement with the facility. Foster healthy interaction between management and other staff.

Mar 28, 2017 – Executive Director

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Brookhaven Retreat. We appreciate you pointing out both the rewards of working with us as well as the challenges of our high-demand treatment... More

"Always Evolving"

Current Employee - Therapist in Seymour, TN
    Current Employee - Therapist in Seymour, TN

I have been working at Brookhaven Retreat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brookhaven has a multitude of learning opportunities to continue growing as an individual and in the field. The clients are amazing women that are in considerable pain or ill. It is beautiful to see the changes in people as they grow and learn their self-worth. The clients are the top priority and are treated with respect, which in my experience is rare. The majority of the staff truly believe in the program and what Brookhaven is trying to help these women achieve. I have little faith with inpatient facilities because of how they treat clients and Brookhaven has restored hope in the idea of respectful and caring facilities can be available to those who need them. I love working with my ladies and they challenge me to be the best therapist I can be.

Cons

The cons to Brookhaven is that people want to work there because of the pay and have no idea what the job entails. I have seen staff (No longer there) that ignore the clients and sit on their phones or talk to one another. They do not engage the clients and get to know them. Then when they get let go for not meeting the standard of care and high expectations their true level of nastiness comes out at Brookhaven and the owner. There are not good fits with any organization, so just move on and find one that is instead of contaminating the environment. I am tired of seeing reviews from people that rook a job for a paycheck and not because they care. Every company has issues to improve on, at least Brookhaven administration is willing to hear you and work on them.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting staff and helping them grow. Continue weeding out the staff that is negative and does not want to be there because they are contaminating the lovely ladies we are trying to help!!!!!

Mar 28, 2017 – Executive Director

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for acknowledging the caring and dedicated staff. As you point out, the employees that are happiest and most successful at Brookhaven Retreat are the ones that... More

"A beautiful Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, TN

I have been working at Brookhaven Retreat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Brookhaven Retreat for three years. I love Brookhaven and have become quite attached to it. When I first applied and explored the website, I was so impressed by the both the beauty of the facility and the air of professionalism and attention to detail in the site. When I saw Brookhaven in person, I wasn't disappointed. It truly is a beautiful place. Our owner has invested so mush into it, creating a place of healing for broken woman. And first impressions aside, that it what I have seen Brookhaven be for so many woman--a place of healing. The therapeutic program here is so unique and tailored just for woman. I have never seen a program like the one here, and often wish I could go through it myself! From the individual projects, the therapeutic groups, the level system, and on and on--it has been thoughtfully created to take woman from lost and broken to whole and well. The great thing is, our owner wants us to experience our own growth, and has provided countless continuing education trainings for us in order to advance our professional knowledge and experience--a huge strength of this company. I also have really valued the staff here at Brookhaven. Of course, there may always be a difference of opinion or stressors in the workplace from time-to-time, however, for the most part I have found my co-workers to be helpful and supportive with a sense of camaraderie, which is so needed in the challenging field of mental health. And finally, I have respect for Jacqueline's commitment to this place of recovery and to the woman she welcomes here. She is fearless and will fight for what she believes in. She's poured herself into this company, and that is a passion people can follow.

Cons

During my time at Brookhaven Retreat, I have seen communities of clients come and go, and I have seen communities of staff come and go. Some might criticizes the turnover at this facility, but I believe that those who want to be here will stay, and those who are not will move on and that is what it is. Your experience is what you make it. The power to be happy and content is in your own mind. Brookhaven may not be the right fit for everyone, and that's fine. Personally, I like my job and I like this company and I am grateful for the opportunity to work here. I could have left long ago, but I see the good here. I see woman go from depressed, hopeless, unmanageable to incredible, self-empowered, emotionally regulated, joyful, strong woman. That isn't fake. That is real and powerful and amazing. I believe in this program and I believe in Brookhaven. I have seen some of the negative previous reviews, and I must say, Jacqueline has never done me wrong--she has always been good to me. We all have our strengths and we have our weaknesses--every one of us. She has not held mine against me, and I do not believe in seeing the worst in others either. I think it is unfortunate that so many have chosen a negative perspective, but it is not my perspective or experience. I am grateful to be employed at Brookhaven Retreat.

Advice to Management

Just to continue offering support and encouragement to staff. People want to know that their concerns are being addressed, that their voice is heard, and that their work is appreciated, and mostly, that they are doing a good job.

Jul 12, 2016 – Executive Director

Thank your for sharing your experiences at Brookhaven Retreat and for acknowledging the strength of our program and the fulfillment that can be achieved working here with our clients. Thank you also... More

"Toxic environment"

I worked at Brookhaven Retreat full-time

Pros

Truly a lovely, peaceful location surrounded by nature. Facility is spotless and quiet rooms are very pleasant. Salaries offered are excellent.

Cons

Revolving door for employees, owner is power crazy, employees are constantly walking around on eggshells. Employees are strongly "urged" to go to sites such as Glassdoor and leave positive reviews. Unhealthy, toxic work environment. Heard of so many people leaving good jobs for the great pay offered. Not worth it folks, you are likely to be gone within 6 months.

Advice to Management

Owner needs to distance herself from the direct running of the facility and allow trained professionals to do what they have been hired to do.

Mar 28, 2017 – Executive Director

Thank you for offering your thoughts about your time at Brookhaven Retreat and for acknowledging the beautiful surroundings and cleanliness of the facility. We regret that you were not completely... More