Cover image for Brookhaven Retreat

61% Recommend to a Friend
61% Approve of CEO

Found 49 of over 53 reviews

3.4
Brookhaven Retreat Owner  Jacqueline Dawes (no image)
Jacqueline Dawes

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

78.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Brookhaven Retreat~827749
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Management does not follow their own written policies and on some occasions even operates outside of the legal limits of labor standards.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Staff

Oct 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was very nervous because of the negative reviews on here, but that has not been my experience at all. The executive team (program director, ceo,and the owner) are constantly working to make the staff and the program better. They do take clients' suggestions seriously and try to accommodate any special needs. As an employee, I feel valued by my superiors. I do feel like I can address any problems with them.

Cons

Our clients have complex mental health issues. If you can't handle working with patients like that, you shouldn't apply here. Also, with residential programs you don't have the downtime like you would with an outpatient facility. If neither of these things bother you, you would fit in great.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Proud to be part of such an amazing program!

Dec 25, 2014 - Clinical
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love coming to work daily to the beautiful and tranquil surroundings. My co-workers are a very caring and compassionate group who work well together as a team. The facility spares no expense in providing quality training and resources for the staff. The programs that the owner and founder created are amazing and produce unbelievable results for those clients who are willing to trust and work the programs. It is a privilege to work with the clients who are amazing women with unlimited potential. Any resources that the clients and/or staff need are provided. It is refreshing to have a founder who is always looking for ways to improve the program and services to the clients. I appreciate the flexibility in the program to meet the individual needs of each client. The program works with those individuals who have not had success at other programs. I love the willingness and ability to stretch the limits in working with clients to engage them in the program and the process of recovery. The aftercare program and alumni reunion offer wonderful support to the clients upon discharge. It is rewarding and an honor to be a part of each client's recovery journey that begins at Brookhaven.

Cons

The program may pose challenges for individuals who have difficulty showing care, compassion and understanding to individuals who are struggling in their recovery. Working in a residential program can be intense and requires a high degree of commitment to our clients. Our client population has complex issues that require knowledgable and skilled therapists.

Executive Director

Thank you for being a valued part of our team and for your kind words and support of our program. Thank you especially for taking time to post this review - on a holiday! It is our dedicated staff members like yourself that makes it possible to help our clients turn their lives around. We are glad that you feel the fulfillment that most of us experience from helping people through this program.

3. Join the Brookhaven Retreat team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

The Best Of The Best!!!

May 5, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful facility and surroundings. All staff are very compassionate and works well as a team. The Founder/Owner Jacqueline Dawes put 100% into this amazing program. She ensures the staff is trained on the highest level. Jacqueline goes above and beyond for her staff and clients. When a client completes the Program, it leaves you in "AWE'.... The Program Jacqueline has is phenomenal! Jacqueline listens to her staffs ideas and looks for continuing improvement. Brookhaven Retreat is an excellent company and I'm very proud to have the opportunity to have work here 6 years. Jacqueline genuinely cares for her staff and clients. I would recommend anyone wanting a fulfilling career to apply at Brookhaven Retreat.

Cons

Working here requires a person to be compassionate and have the desire to assist the clients in working the program. If a person doesn't have these genuine qualities this company wouldn't be a good choice for them. Patience is another very important quality required. We work as a team with the client being our main focus for their success .Clients often comment on the high quality of training and knowledge all the staff have, from Housekeeping to top management.

Executive Director

We appreciate your detailed feedback on Brookhaven Retreat as an employer, and for emphasizing just how rewarding it is to see clients make such profound changes in their lives through our program. Thanks you also for pointing out some characteristics that may be required for success at Brookhaven Retreat. Our company and our program might not be the right place for everyone, but for those like yourself that appreciate the rewards of this challenging work, there may be no other place quite as right.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

The best company to work for with a amazing Founder/Owner that truly cares about her staff and clients!!!!

Jan 9, 2015 - Housekeeping Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful facility and surroundings. All staff are very compassionate and works well as a team. The Founder/Owner Jacqueline Dawes put 100% into this amazing program. She ensures the staff is trained on the highest level. Jacqueline goes above and beyond for her staff and clients. When a client completes the Program, it leaves you in "AWE'.... The Program Jacqueline has is phenomenal! Jacqueline listens to her staffs ideas and looks for continuing improvement. Brookhaven Retreat is an excellent company and I'm very proud to have the opportunity to have work here 5 years. Jacqueline genuinely cares for her staff and clients. I would recommend anyone wanting a fulfilling career to apply at Brookhaven Retreat.

Executive Director

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and for your favorable assessment of the company and its program. We are glad you find working with us rewarding and grateful that you have made Brookhaven Retreat your workplace for more than five years. It is our dedicated staff such as yourself that makes it possible to continue helping people rebuild their lives.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Memories of Brookhaven Retreat

May 4, 2016 - Program Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at BHR brought me in contact with the most amazing women I ever imagine to meet...including the founder the staff and especially the clients. I was there for 5 years and they are still in my heart. I have seen courageous women come in so broken...so alone...so hopeless. Then I watched them over and over and over bond with each other and encourage each other to learn alien new life skills. There is nothing like the victorious day they get to go home. They took with them our hearts and prayers. We as the staff worked together for the common heart felt good of every lady that walked through the door. No one pays me to write this...my heart writes this.

Cons

Not every lady that comes to BHR is ready to be there. The program is intensive and works to get at the center of her issues. Sometimes the ladies can get clickish and they lose commitment to their purpose by being drawn in. It can be easy for that to happen if they have isolated to much before coming...and they miss their lives one's terribly by week 2. Then they have to choose to trust the process.

Executive Director

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your time at Brookhaven Retreat. As you point out, there is nothing quite like seeing the transformation women can make through our program with the help of the staff and their sister clients. Thanks for also noting some of the challenges faced by the clients and staff. This isn’t easy work, but it is so worthwhile.

7. 5.0

Nursing

Jan 19, 2015 - Registered Nurse in Seymour, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are many benefits I have found as a RN at Brookhaven Retreat. The work schedule is wonderful providing a good work/life balance as well as never having to take call. My co-workers are amazing and the pay is competitive compared with other RN positions in the area. The benefits are great as well. There are extensive training opportunities offered both on site and at different locations to ensure we are able to treat our clients in the best way possible. Management has an open door policy which allows all employees to meet with them and provide feedback on operational issues as well as provide input on how to correct this to better serve our clients. The area is beautiful, peaceful, and serene. Overall I enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons

In comparison to other jobs I have worked since becoming a RN, I have very few complaints about Brookhaven. There are limited opportunities for overtime which is something I became used to with my previous job. There are also very complex cases. This provides a challenge for me which I enjoy, but can sometimes make the working environment intense.

1 person found this review helpful

Executive Director

We appreciate you posting this detailed review, especially the specific comments that may be helpful to nursing professionals considering applying to Brookhaven Retreat. Working at Brookhaven Retreat involves special challenges, but also very special rewards. Also, as noted, Brookhaven Retreat is committed to providing opportunities for continued professional development so our team can provide even better service to our clients. Keep up the good work and know that it is appreciated by the company, your teammates and especially our clients.

8. 5.0

A great place to work!

May 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work at Brookhaven Retreat for almost two years. I love my job and I truly enjoy working with all of the staff and the owner, Jacqueline Dawes. During my time at Brookhaven Retreat I have been provided vast opportunity to grow and develop my professional career with the support from Jacqueline. The training that is offered to staff at Brookhaven Retreat is endless. Administration at Brookhaven Retreat is an open door policy, which allows for all employees to meet regularly and discuss operational issues and provide feedback in a supported environment. It is important to me to feel supported in my position and one of the best parts of my job is that I know if I have an issue I can go to Jacqueline and she will guide me in the right direction and help me to build a better plan going forward. Working at Brookhaven Retreat has been a truly rewarding experience and I could not have found a better fit.

Cons

Staff must be patient and have the ability to adapt to change quickly. The first priority is to meet the needs of the clients and provide support and you must be willing to go the extra mile.

3 people found this review helpful

Executive Director

We appreciate your detailed account of your experiences at Brookhaven Retreat. Our mission here is challenging, and as you have noted we try to provide a structure and a culture to help our staff meet that challenge. We are pleased you have found your time with us to be enriching and rewarding.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible

Aug 23, 2020 - Program Counselor in Seymour, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are no good reasons. The place went bankrupt and closed.

Cons

Anything bad you can think of goes here.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

A transformational workplace

Aug 29, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A beautiful place to work, with a tranquil environment and friendly staff. The owner, Jacqueline, is a self-made woman whose grit and dedication are inspirational. She invests significantly in the development of her employees. Her attention to helping employees be their best selves helped me grow significantly in my career and as a woman. Yes, growth can be uncomfortable and frightening - as are most things that propel us into the unknown - but my experience working there was transformative. If you are looking for a competitive salary, a meaningful job, and to be pushed to develop in your career, I recommend working here!

Cons

Jacqueline shows up with her whole heart in her business every day, and expects staff to do the same. These expectations and the nature of a treatment facility are challenging for some employees, leading to some staff turnover, which can be disheartening at times, though understandable.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great opportunity for your career! Great place to work.

Mar 12, 2015 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been blessed to have the opportunity to work at Brookhaven Retreat. I have always had a passion and interest in the health care of women. The staff work well as a team, and the owner is very dedicated to the program, clients, and employees of the facility. I have had numerous opportunities to attend trainings which have aided in my career development. The facility is located in a beautiful environment with amazing views of the mountains. The benefits are a plus as my family and I are provided health insurance with eye and dental coverage. We are also provided adequate PTO for the year. I feel welcomed and valued as an employee. The service we provide to the clients is very rewarding. I love seeing the positive transformation of the clients from admission to discharge. The owner, Jacqueline Dawes, is a pleasure to work for. She has developed a unique and successful program dedicated to the recovery of women that is truly inspiring.

Cons

I have no cons to mention at this time.

Executive Director

Thanks for taking the time to post about your time with Brookhaven. Your comments about our environment, employee benefits and the rewards of the job will help inform others considering joining our staff. We do value you and all of our team members and we know the clients appreciate all that you do for them too.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 49 Reviews
</>Embed

Brookhaven Retreat Reviews FAQs

Brookhaven Retreat has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 53 reviews left anonymously by employees. 61% of employees would recommend working at Brookhaven Retreat to a friend and 61% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Brookhaven Retreat employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Brookhaven Retreat. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

61% of Brookhaven Retreat employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Brookhaven Retreat 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Brookhaven Retreat to be culture, benefits, career development and the cons to be management .