Brooklyn Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Industries part-time

Pros

Great Environment
    Staff is like Family

Cons

Low Pay for all of the responsibilities you have

2. "Only good if you're fresh out of college with no experience"

I have been working at Brooklyn Industries full-time

Pros

Great People
    Able to take on more responsibilities

Cons

Poor Company Direction
    High Turnover at all levels

"Fun and True to it's Roots"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's probably one of the very few retailers where you can actually enjoy your job. The brand definitely inspires a lot of fun and creativity where your opinions of your merchandise actually matter. You would get visits from the Lexy Funk and her husband Vahap and meet them in your store which is a rare occurrence in other companies with unreachable CEOs.. Enjoyed working for BKI.

Cons

Downside to the company is just the pay. At the time there were only 21 locations and revenue wasn't as plentiful as other retailers which then matches the pay.

Advice to Management

Many companies lose sight of their roots and rapidly grow while losing the creativity that made them. Don't lose sight of your retail teams and remember that they are a very important asset to the company.

4. "Manager"

Pros

Not much to say but that the brand is good abd what the owner believes in. Thats about it. Everything else is a joke

Cons

HQ is bull they are all unprofessional, yet they blame the in feild managers. None of the know what they are doing, that company is going to fail because of the head liners of HQ.

Advice to Management

You dnt get paid enough to be slaved. Don't go for it. Uniqlo pays much more as a supervisor.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Brooklyn Industries gives you a discount on clothes and the location was easily accessible from home

Cons

Keep Track of how much everyone makes (weekly sales goals)
    Clothing is poor quality (buttons fall at the seams)
    Hours are inconsistent and long
    You're forced to wear their clothes while working - no discount
    You need to follow customers and upsell, upsell, upsell!!

Advice to Management

Believe in the product and don't make us shadow customers. It makes them uncomfortable

"Unjust"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

- The discount is decent
    - Pretty simple job if you're an associate

Cons

There is no real way for me to express just how deeply my disdain for this company flows. Perhaps I have been jaded after constant abuse, and no not physical but emotional. Simply the fact that despite how hard, great, or efficiently you work you are attacked with neglect and shade. I started as an associate making my way to a floor supervisor and it became clear that this is as far as I, an African American female, could go. Dealing daily with theft (including one frightening ordeal that may or may not have included a gun) and a man defecating in my store became just too much to handle. I hold nothing against the four different managers I had to go through, they were all wonderful. I was great at adjusting since the constant rotation of teams at BKI would occur as people come and go often. This is all to say that in a nutshell BKI does not value their employees, period. If you're a great employee don't expect recognition or a promotion unless you are deep, deep, in the higher ups.

Advice to Management

Vaule your workers and be fair.

"Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Brooklyn Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employee discount is great! The same discount on full price merchandise applies to markdown items. There is also a selection of new arrivals that employees can get at an ever deeper discount for one week of each month.
    -The hours of operations for stores allows people to have a good work/life balance. With most locations opening at 11am and closing at 8pm, there is plenty of time for someone to have a life outside of work. Aside from a possible monthly floorset running late, there aren't really any long nights at Brooklyn Industries.
    -Working in a smaller retailer means that you are afforded more opportunities to have your voice heard. I've worked for retailers that have 100's of stores which usually meant never meeting the CEO and maybe one visits from a DM or store supervisor each month. With BKI being a smaller company, you'll have the change to show off how great of an employee you are more times than if you worked for a big box and fast fashion retailer.
    -Monthly bonus program!
    -Weekly feedback on sales and merchandise is asked for from HQ employees. The merch and design team listens to what the employees and customers have to say about the product we have to offer.

Cons

-There are fit issues on some cute product from time to time.
    -Retail is retail which means the usual commitment is required in regards to working some weekend days as well as holidays(not Christmas or Thanksgiving though)

Advice to Management

Hard work, dedication, and a commitment to training sales associates & entry level management will get you a long way in this company. As with other retailers, if you are in a position of management, you are expected to have total accountability for your store. I was once asked by a supervisor from a previous retail life if I would prefer to be a small fish in a large ocean or a shark in a lake. I chose the latter and have had a successful career since joining Brooklyn Industries.

"Ok for Short Term"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Brooklyn Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent discount. Great customer service values.

Cons

Unfortunately the pay does not match the amount of work. Low payroll hours with understaffing. Employees are expected to do twice the work for minimum pay.

"Doesn't live up to its motto"

I have been working at Brooklyn Industries full-time

Pros

The people you work with at a store level are like a family.

Cons

- Non existent CEO
    - Reuses the same style over and over again, with no real difference from older styles
    - High price point for clothing even though the quality is poor
    - No growth within the company
    - Upper management is biased. Once they don't like you, you won't go anywhere in the company. They also like to gossip as well.
    - Morale within the company sucks.
    - Benefits are terrible.
    - Bonuses are practically non-existent
    - They do not stand by their "Live, Work, Create" motto.
    - Upper management does nothing to boost company morale
    - Communication between upper management to stores are terrible.
    - Conference calls are pointless and discriminate against any form of management (other than the store manager) from taking the call.
    - Upper management takes forever to find management candidates for store.
    - Requesting time off can be hard depending on the needs of the store.
    - No raises at all, no matter how long you've been with the company.
    - Upper management treats supervisors as if they aren't part of the management team at all.
    - Upper management likes to micro manage members of management as if they don't know how to do their job.
    - Practically a sinking ship

Advice to Management

No point in giving advice because they won't listen to it.

"Associate"

Pros

Good bosses, fun environment and coworkers.

Cons

High turnover and no commission