- Arts & Design
- Customer Services & Support
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Military & Protective Services
- Product & Project Management
- Research & Science
- Retail & Food Services
- Skilled Labor & Manufacturing
- Current Employees
- United States - All Cities
- - New York State
- - New York City, NY Area
- - Brooklyn, NY
- - New York, NY
Found 129 of over 132 reviews
- COVID-19 Related
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Most Recent
- Oldest First
Got a burning question about Brooklyn LAB Charter School? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Brooklyn LAB Charter School employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "Every positive experience comes from the students and my dedicated colleagues." (in 6 reviews)
- "We are a fun loving team that likes to work together to help build LAB which is still a very young and growing school." (in 4 reviews)
- "Staff are great, they are well" (in 4 reviews)
- "Reasonable requests are generally accepted, and, unlike some other schools, there is not a culture of pettiness or control." (in 3 reviews)
- "Deans and leadership are clueless in how to run a school; promises and assurances are regularly made, yet rarely followed through upon." (in 10 reviews)
- "Long hours compared to the DOE" (in 6 reviews)
- "Brooklyn lab charter school is a horrible place to work." (in 3 reviews)
- "Many people quit constantly, and I am close to quitting." (in 3 reviews)
- Former Employee★★★★★Feb 25, 2022 - English Teacher in Brooklyn, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Fun atmosphere and enjoyable people to be around
Long work hours but was fun
- Former Employee★★★★★Jan 20, 2023 - ELA TeacherRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Freedom over curriculum Most of the kids rock Some co workers were great
Oh boy. There are no systems or structures in place. It is the wild Wild West, so if you like freedom and know what you’re doing, you’ll be fine. I felt terrible for brand new teachers who were put in front of kids with no curriculum and no coaching. My department head was in their first year of teaching in person, which tells you a lot about the mission and vision as a content team. Literacy is at the core of what kids need, so why do we have someone with no training and experience leading the department? Some fellow teacher report others to HR for mundane things, despite the very clear conflict of interest they are involved in. There is no support for sped students, especially terrible because the school is 40% sped. Most kids are severely below grade level. High schoolers who couldn’t read or write beyond a 6th grade level made up a vast majority of my classes. I’m glad I left before the new leadership took over because it sounds like a dictatorship. Before I resigned, I attended a summer session with the new CEO. She said we need to be run like a corporation. That’s all I needed to hear. Best of luck, but this school needs to be shut down. It is unethical to have kids enrolled here and IF they go to college, they will be severely underprepared, never finish the degree, and have taken on loans they will never be able to pay back. Really scary, sad, and cruel.Continue reading
- Former Employee★★★★★Jan 11, 2023 - TeacherRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
You really get to make a difference in students lives.
Very high turn over, admin only cares about the "bigger picture" not how it effects students and classrooms.
- Former Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★Nov 3, 2022 - Dean in Brooklyn, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Decent pay Some passionate co-workers Kids are not the worst
If you are a student there - Get out If you are a staff member there- Get out If you are thinking of applying there - Get out of the application If you have a disability - GET OUT RUNNING Lack of culture Unprofessional and incompetent administration Lack of curriculum or rigor Basic school systems missing No social-emotional support 2-3 fights per day The regular presence of weapons on campus (guns/knives, etc) Kids run the school No Coaching or support for students Lack of real data systems or organization No intervention systems in sight No gang prevention work Abusive senior leadership Deceitful school No support for Scholars with Disabilities No real SPED teachers on staff Terrible benefit coverage The list goes on
- Former Employee★★★★★Dec 25, 2022 - Teacher ResidentRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
as with most schools, the teachers have good hearts
super disorganized and toxic work environment
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Nov 5, 2022 - English TeacherRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Innovative programs (remote program was one of them) Decent pay Autonomy in classroom
Lack of support and coaching; I was placed teaching a subject that I had no experience in and had support Lack of communication (including HR they hardly ever responded to calls or emails) Teacher turnover is high They got rid of the remote program, which was very effective Waste time and money on systems that they don’t stick to No one takes accountabilityContinue reading
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Nov 6, 2022 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Autonomy in how to teach the content, near the train station and food.
Toxic higher-ups, microaggresive behaviors from management, lack of communication, cliques and favoritism amongst colleagues within the campuses, grade team leads with no experience on leading a grade team. Must be worse even after theContinue reading
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Nov 18, 2022 - Lead TeacherRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The hours were pretty good.
The leadership was inconsistent at best.
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★Sep 28, 2022 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The teachers and the students are fantastic !
So much turnover it’s sickening. Quality teachers leave, services are not in place, overcrowded classrooms, inexperienced teachers become lead faculty, the new administration is a dictatorship and even worse than the clueless last administration.Continue reading
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Sep 8, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The Administrative staff is awesome!
Terrible place to work. Students not learning and falling several grades behind. Corrupt leadership and should face criminal charges. Keep low-performing students from testing to boost already extremely low test scores.Continue reading
Brooklyn LAB Charter School Reviews FAQs
Brooklyn LAB Charter School has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 132 reviews left anonymously by employees. 42% of employees would recommend working at Brooklyn LAB Charter School to a friend and 42% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -29% over the last 12 months.
42% of Brooklyn LAB Charter School employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Brooklyn LAB Charter School 2.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.0 for culture and values and 2.2 for career opportunities.