KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Brooklyn LAB Charter School Reviews

Updated Nov 23, 2021

Found 111 of over 114 reviews

3.9
Brooklyn LAB Charter School Co-Founder and Executive Director Eric Tucker (no image)
Eric Tucker
Pros
  • "Brooklyn LAB may not be the only charter school in town, but it’s certainly one of the best that serves communities in Brooklyn(in 13 reviews)

• "Many people might not realize that a running a charter school has many stakeholders we are beholden to (all with different agendas(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The challenges of having so many young Fellows in the building can mean that you have some unprofessional behavior among younger staff(in 16 reviews)

• "these founders sell and dream to students and teacher about how "innovative" brooklyn lab is, when in reality it's one big scam(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,866

959 Comments

Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I wouldn’t work anywhere else

Jun 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been at Brooklyn LAB Charter for over 3 years now and I can honestly say there isn’t a single other school I’d rather work for. I came here straight out of university and it has been the most incredible, life-changing, growth-inducing experience of my life. I love everything about working here and there isn’t a thing I would change given the chance.

Cons

I’m serious, I wouldn’t change a single thing about this school or the way it’s run. It’s perfect just the way it is.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Moral struggle

Nov 23, 2021 - Social Worker in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the teachers are wonderful. The facilities are clean.

Cons

It’s extremely difficult to work with upper management. It is a constant struggle to tip toe around egos and you have no real voice. Everything runs through the CEO who lacks empathy and thrives off of control. Unfortunately, most decisions lead to high turn over rates and non functioning systems. Children on not provided with a true education and are pushed through in order to accomplish high graduation rates. Most students don’t receive the services they’re meant to and rarely are IEP’s complied with. It’s sad to see an organization that looks so nice on the outside function so poorly.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This School Should be Shut Down

Jun 30, 2021 - Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro is the nice laptops

Cons

1) Horrible administration: incompetent, careless, directionless, will throw anyone under the bus to not take the blame, they make so many mistakes I am not convinced any has ever worked in education. There is no curriculum; teachers have to make it up as they go, and if you ask for support, don't expect any. 2) Lack of professionalism: Constant misspelled emails, constant emails full of employees fighting, unprofessional meetings, many uneducated co-workers. It's actually sad; so many students will not be able to go on to a good college because the school is so bad and hires really horrible teachers and admin. 3) Forces you to lie: So many of us have to lie to parents and families due to the school's incompetence. The truth is the students are not being educated. We are forced to bump up grades constantly and accept far below grade-level work. Many of the students cannot read on grade level, and instead of employing reading interventionists to improve reading, they force us to pass students. Definitely one of the worst places I have ever worked. Many people quit constantly, and I am close to quitting. I am heartbroken that so many black and brown students are not being served nor educated. If the students were not black and brown and had any privilege, the state would have shut this place down. All the 5-star ratings are fake. Beware!

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

They Really Try

Sep 20, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people in the work place are amazing and you'll never run into whole-hearted folks like them in the Education industry. They gave covid their darndest with good protocols in place and weekly testing for teachers.

Cons

There is a top-down management culture that really puts a strain on all of the teachers. Without the support or voice of a union, teachers can feel very stressed and anxious about the expectations.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

unethical, racist, and unjust

Sep 28, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I received a free master's degree

Cons

- hours are over the top - no curriculum provided - no support provided (academic, emotional, professional) - low teacher retention - no substitutes to cover open positions (must be covered internally) - unethical student practices (saying students are enrolled in courses they are not) - founders have history of racist complaints against them - sexism and homophobia in leadership - physical and verbal abuse from students - improper/nonexistent special education

6. 5.0

Engaging and welcoming community

Jun 6, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think Brooklyn LAB not only has an engaging and welcoming community dynamic, but it's a genuinely positive work environment as well. There's no sense of discomfort amongst the staff or the students and everyone is dedicated to creating the best possible education experience. Which, I for one, think is truly incredible. The workload isn't too much, there’s never any misunderstandings or confusion. Instead of bickering, we work together and strive for excellence in all we do every single day.

Cons

As a woman, I’m shocked by the few women in power at such a progressive and forward-thinking institution.

7. 5.0

Fulfilling and rewarding work

Jun 10, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can’t think of a more fulfilling and rewarding line of work. I imagine the only job more fulfilling is emergency room doctor. We aren’t saving lives, but we are saving future generations from ignorance and the lack of opportunities that engenders. I’m proud to be a charter school teacher and to be providing a much more valuable and worthwhile education than can be gotten in a public school.

Cons

There are no cons to working here or any charter school. You’re doing the lord’s work and that’s all that matters.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

More than words can express

May 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can't say enough good about LAB Charter in Brooklyn. From the amazing students to the compassionate leadership, this place is a much needed breath of fresh air in my career. -Management is a credit to the word leadership! They assist when needed and give you everything you need to succeed. -But they somehow still manage to take a more hands-off approach when it comes to the sanctity of every individual classroom, which I greatly appreciate coming from a school where I was heavily micro-managed at. I feel trusted and respected in my role. -The learning environment is unlike any other I’ve experienced professionally or personally. -Monthly check-ins are implemented to express your concerns and voice your opinions. I know I’m not the only employee who appreciates this school policy. -Benefits are just impeccable. Insurance, PTO, and other perks. A solid package that is the cherry on top of the LAB Charter experience.

Cons

There’s very little downsides I can think of to working for LAB Charter in Brooklyn. My experience has been largely positive and I genuinely enjoy working here. But I guess there are a few things that need some improvement. -There are few women in positions of power. Management is largely comprised of men. -Teachers put in long hours whether you work for a charter school or a public school. You need to know what you’re signing up for before you make this a career. -Most of the parents are great, but every now and then you get one that ruins your day every time they call or email. It’s the luck of the draw but at least you only have to put up with it for a year.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

An excellent school that supports its teachers

Jun 2, 2021 - Teaching Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The interview process was easy enough. Onboarding took no time at all. The teacher I’m working with is amazing and has been an incredible support. I think more schools should provide teaching assistants. Teachers would be less overwhelmed and the students would benefit as well.

Cons

I haven’t noticed any yet. So far, so good.

10. 5.0

Plenty of hands-on experience

May 26, 2021 - Carrier Sales Representative in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

They throw you right into the thick of things starting day 1. If you like a fast-paced environment with plenty of hands-on experience and opportunities to learn as you go, there’s nowhere better.

Cons

I haven’t experienced a single one. I learn something new every day and like the people I work with.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 111 Reviews