Brooks Bell Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Brooks Bell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A really great place to work!"

Current Employee - Optimization Engineer/Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Optimization Engineer/Developer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great atmosphere, great company, great core values, flexible schedules, great work life balance, tons of perks. And also of course, there are some great people here creating some amazing teamwork. They generally hire really nice cool people. There are constant opportunities to learn new things. This is the best job I have ever had!

Cons

Sometimes things are a little bumpy and stressful but overall this place is awesome! We're growing quick, so there are some growing pains that would affect any company.

Advice to Management

The company seems a little bit top heavy.

"Truly a best place to work"

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time

Pros

I've been at Brooks Bell for almost 5 years. I came to this company with the expectation that it could become a "dream job" - that's how it was presented to me - and my experience has completely lived up to that expectation. I've been given every opportunity to craft my own role and future. Our leadership team listens to feedback and acts to drive change for the better. Our execs are one of a kind - I've worked for typical CEOs and Brooks is anything but. She is an innovative leader who trusts in the team she's carefully built. She and the other execs make themselves accessible to any one of us who requests their time. The work we do is fun and challenging - it's a unique opportunity to apply data and science to instinct and best practice. Our client list is comprised of smart, saavy brands which gives our team lots of opportunity to continually expand our expertise. Most of all, I can honestly say our team is made up of some of the smartest subject matter experts in the industry and we all care deeply about pushing ourselves and each other toward success.

Cons

We can be slow to take action or affect change because leadership wants to make sure we're making the right decision. Sometimes things that are discussed at the leadership level aren't disseminated throughout the entire team quickly enough, creating confusion or mixed messages. Compensation is very fair but not at the leading edge of the industry.

Advice to Management

In our busyness, we've gotten away from some of our leadership training which may continue to be valuable. We should also continue to reinforce our core values, and encourage everyone across all teams to demonstrate them on a daily basis. They are what built us as a company from the beginning and they're what will continue to help us remain true to ourselves as we grow.

"Never had a bad day"

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time

Pros

I have worked at Brooks Bell for 2.5 years and the most telling thing I can say about the culture is that I’ve never had a bad day. And yes, I know what a bad day at work is like.

What makes Brooks Bell a great place to work is the people. Everyone is hired based on cultural fit, which means we all think similarly and hold the same values. That’s why the interview process is so extensive—we want to make sure you’re a good fit, and that we’re a good fit for you.

As for leadership as a whole, the company is going through some growing pains, but always looks to hire and promote internally. There are numerous current employees who have shifted to different departments or roles because the company saw a need, the employee saw an opportunity for growth or the employee wanted a change.

We have an internal communication system called 15Five—a list of five rotating questions that we fill out every Friday. Questions vary from “What challenges are you facing this week and what do you need to overcome them?” to “What can your manager do to make your role more meaningful?” It is sometimes a pain to fill out, but your manager, the executive team, and the CEO all read and comment on the answers weekly. You get what you put into your 15Five, so if you aren’t transparent and open, then your problems and issues won’t be heard or fixed.

Brooks Bell has a start up mentality and speediness to our work, without the fear of funding and without the overtime. We’re growing as a company, and maintain high profit margins, which result in a generous quarterly “bonus buckets.”

All in all, this is the best place I have ever worked. And I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Yes, the company has its flaws, as do all companies, but ours pale in comparison to those I’ve previously worked at.

Maybe the CEO could be here more and make more of an effort to spend time with employees, but having a somewhat absent CEO isn’t that uncommon. Her vision is to build the perfect company, and that is reiterated to us in monthly company updates where we track progress on quarterly and yearly goals and initiatives.

Maybe the pay could be higher, but salaries are comparable to other agencies in the Raleigh area. The benefits, perks and culture at Brooks Bell certainly make up for it in my eyes.

"Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Client Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Brooks Bell (More than a year)

Pros

Brooks Bell was an excellent place to work! They sign on with amazing, enterprise level companies and have a fantastic team, with some of the nicest and smartest people. The work is awesome; I was constantly learning new things everyday. The office is a beautiful space with great amenities and a great location in downtown Raleigh. If you have the opportunity to work here, JUMP on it! You will not regret it.

Cons

Very small, compensation lacking, but overall an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING place to work!

Advice to Management

Be even more transparent, continue to be real and share with the employees. You're awesome :)

"Great company, great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Brooks Bell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a great culture.

I worked for this company for 2 years and made great friends, advanced my career and worked on some really interesting projects. With beer taps, a ping pong table, a nap room and 2 new arcade games, it's definitely a place that makes you enjoy coming to work everyday and I'm honestly sad to be leaving.

The key here is the quality of people they hire. They go through a long and in-depth interview process, but in the end it's worth it. Everyone hired at Brooks Bell is smart, personable and have great work ethics.

The company is growing fast but they always take time to lay out their vision of where they are going and what their goals are to get there. They are very transparent and very open about how the company is doing and how much the company is making which always is a motivator for the employees.

Overall this is a great place to work and I fell very lucky to have gotten the chance to work here and be a part of a special team with a special culture.

Cons

Towards the end of my time at Brooks Bell it seemed as if they were very focused on process and utilization. I don't know if you can say that is a 'con' because it's probably necessary to do as the company grows, but I think too much of that would start to effect the culture negatively .

Advice to Management

Keep being honest, open and transparent...it's what makes this place special.

"Strange priorities and expectations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Brooks Bell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks, Nerf guns, goofing off practically required

Cons

This company has strange priorities and expectations. I met deadlines, turned in high-quality work, and completed even my stretch goals, but was told I was not "committed" enough because I didn't spend extra time at work just to hang out with my co-workers.

Additionally, I was given very little feedback on my work performance even when I specifically asked what I could do to make things easier for other people, make final products better quality, or improve communications. I was treated extremely disrespectfully upon my exit from the company.

Advice to Management

Worry less about culture and more about the individuals you manage. Just because the company looks great to potential recruits doesn't mean you're making your employees happy. Listen to them when they ask for things and have complaints, and, yes, even when they disagree with you-- don't just write them off as having a bad attitude.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, coffee, beer.
    Executive team includes the staff in big decisions.
    Awesome work/life balance with most people here from 830-530. I get almost no emails when I'm on vacation, on the weekends, or past 6.
    Some days people bring in their kids.
    The leadership team you KNOW wants you to be doing something you love.
    Our office is pretty darn awesome.

Cons

Some of the "lower" technical staff members don't get the recognition they deserve.

Advice to Management

Keep staff members "in the know" about higher level things that are going on.

"Great Place to Work ... For Some"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

They do hire some really great, dedicated, smart people who work very hard. Work life balance is incredible, especially for the industry. Health, dental, and 401K contributions are also nice.

Cons

Top heavy "Leadership Team" which makes up about 40% of the company.
    Hiring decisions that don't make sense (hiring another person for leadership instead of a desperately needed creative team member).
    ZERO opportunity for advancement, raises, or training.
    A CEO who is never present, has unrealistic goals, doesn't know what is going on day to day, and will only interact with "leadership".
    The company is an ego trip for someone who has never worked a day in her life for anyone else. One day there is no money to pay the staff, the next they are hiring like crazy, putting on an expensive conference, and upgrading office space. There is always money to support her vision but not the dedicated people who do the work.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat! Too many layers of management for a small company!
    Invest in the people who do the work.
    Stop adding to a useless leadership team.
    No one cares about the Click Conference. That money would be better spent on staff development.
    Be more transparent. Where does all the money come from to fuel this ego trip?
    Value and grow your clients. Stop looking for the perfect client.

"good people, bad business."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I met some great and funny people

Cons

the work lacks creativity
    the account team mimics "strategy"
    business decisions don't make sense
    owner detached with business actions and approaches the business with a "let's try this" mentality
    three creative directors and two "interactive" designers shows poor business decisions

Advice to Management

It is amazing this company is still around. There must be financial support coming from somewhere.

If you are thinking about joining Brooks Bell Interactive. Run. Run fast and hard.

"Not a very stable place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The employees were the companies best asset. They hired the most fun, passionate and talented people who really put their all into making a difference at the company.

Cons

Very low pay grade with no hope of raises.
    Very low morale because of poor management.
    Felt like management kept a lot of important information from its employees.
    Company direction changes daily.
    Unfair and unjust treatment of employees.
    Little to no career or professional growth opportunities.
    Favoritism.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and open with the employees. Treat them with respect and give them opportunities to become better. Just give them hope; hope for more opportunities, more stability, and more money.