Brooks International Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 30, 2017

Consultant

Lui Damasceno

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Interesting clients and lots of travel (in 4 reviews)

• Most of the company's clients are Fortune 200 companies and some of them are even located in Europe and Asia (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is 7 days a week work (in 7 reviews)

• Sales team is housed in a boiler room setting (in 4 reviews)

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brooks International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I looked at many options before joining Brooks International. I made a short list and chased interviews. Luckily I landed an interview and was extremely impressed with the level of evaluation and the professional experience. It was clear immediately that the firm takes its business very serious. The more I learned the more impressed and aligned I became. They spend significant effort on their employees offering both individual pay for performance incentives and accelerated career advancement opportunities. Now that I am part of the firm I find a war chest of on-line training materials. I can literally develop myself and advance my titles and my income. I for one am very excited to be part of this organization and feel quite proud to be part of this elite team….clearly the place to be!

Cons

Due to high standards some employees can bring negativity and need weeded out.

"Fake Reviews Still Being Used"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seymour, IN

I worked at Brooks International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really to speak of. The only good thing is that people are still posting honest reviews (the negative ones)

Cons

Amazing that the reviews are either a 1 or a 5....nothing really in between. As it has for years, for every honest review, the Brooks machine will provide three false reviews to make it look like the are great and keep their average up. This is Lui's business model and spins it all like a well oiled machine. It's all about the numbers and not the truth. The numbers being the amount of money they can make on projects with made up results and the way they can effect the averages by having "staff" complete reviews making Lui look like a king. The only real issue is that King Lui is like the bafoon from Junglebook.

Advice to Management

Stop the madness and adopt a business model of honesty and not deceit. Stop hiring back the bad ones. They burned you first time around, they will do again. You can't survive with Hope or a prayer.

"Consultant…been with the company for over 1 year"

Current Employee - Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined this company after significant research of other options. The reason I joined the firm is because I wanted to be a real difference maker. I was not clear originally clear that there are a significant number of differences among firm offerings within the consulting space. Brooks I found to be very unique in that the offering focuses on business impact and leadership in all ways. Clients are facing a significant challenge and we are called upon to deliver an extraordinary outcome. It is highly interesting in that most all clients are fortune 300.

Cons

Additionally, the firm has an extremely thoughtful competency development program. Your career path is totally spelled out and is supported by a comprehensive training program. Brooks takes pro-status preparation very seriously. As some of the posts have indicated it is not for all. The demands are high however the rewards clearly outweigh the demand’s. Most important to all is that you can move your career at your individual pace keeping in mind that you are expected to invest in yourself. So if you are not driven and do not see yourself as a professional and an achiever I recommend you seek a position with a lesser expectation because here at Brooks development and performance is taken quite serious. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else. I really appreciate the “client first” mentality and the firms intensity.

Advice to Management

It would be great to do some more team building activities. I feel is a good way to learn from senior management.

"Worst employment experience ever!!!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent. The main pro was the lower level staff (below manager) cohorts I worked with--- generally good people.

Cons

-Staff augmentation shops with zero interest in treating employees humanely at the expense of profit. If you are desperate, I guess you have nowhere else to turn?

Advice to Management

Sell your book, rebrand and rename so you can be found out for what you truly value-- exploitation of employees and clients.

"Run Away........FAST"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing to list for corporate office or field employees.

Some employees are truly talented, but limited by the toxic environment.

Cons

CEO Lui Damasceno is a severe micromanager, who controls every aspect of every position. He is a verbally abusive leader who rules by intimidation and embarrassment. Lui honestly believes an employee will perform better if he berates and belittles their performance, constantly threatening to fire you.

Lui blames others for everything negative and takes credit for anything positive. The opposite of a productive leadership style that promotes a loyal following.

If you are considering working for Brooks, run away.

If you are considering doing business with Brooks, please know the type of CEO you are dealing with and RUN to the next consultation company.

Many of the business results/benefits presented are inflated numbers to acquire business.

Sales team is housed in a boiler room setting.

Many engagements are ended early or not extended.

Travel is early Sunday through late Friday.

Corporate culture is horrible. Employees walk on eggshells, wondering who Lui will abuse next.

No free-thinking allowed. Lui controls every decision.

High turnover at all levels. No team continuity or cohesion.

Zero diversity in company and bigotry is acceptable.

Fired 1/4 of company on Christmas Eve.

Advice to Management

Lui, you want the truth, unless you don't like the truth you hear. Then you blame everyone else and fail to accept personal accountability.

Show compassion and caring to your employees. Allow them to use their talents. Currently, you are the one getting in the way of your companies success.

"Employee Beware"

I worked at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse group of clients.
    Many of your co workers and some managers are knowlegable and focused on improving client operations.
    Payment is on time.
    Efficient back office functions to become an employee and to be off boarded.
    When you are fired or quit, your physical and mental health will improve.

Cons

Culture is abusive to employees( threats, intimidation, and back stabbbing).
    The CEO will scream at people and only his inner circle is safe from this abuse.
    Turnover is very high even by industry standards.
    You will be hired as an employee and given much less than a contractor rate, but when you are not billing will be fired..
    The company will not pay for vacation time not used after termination or commissions and bonuses that are owed.
    Recently many projects have closed before completion or not given the firm follow on work.

Advice to Management

There is no point, the firm is run by a megalomaniac who makes a great living off the hard work and dedication of others. He has allowed this culture to fester and fired anyone in senior management who wanted to make changes.

"Huge Opportunity for Improvement"

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Akron, OH
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Akron, OH

I worked at Brooks International as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are limited pros with Brooks International. The numerous comments about the inept, greedy, psychopathic leadership that are on every company review site on the internet are what I experienced from my first interview until I left the company.

Cons

The current leadership of Brooks International has been matched with unmeasured levels of insanity with the addition of the COO. The CEO owns the reputation of being a wild card that can go from one extreme to the complete opposite in short order with explosive fits of rage but I took work with Brooks in the hopes that the new COO would level out some of the horror stories from the past. Much to my frustration, the COO was like pouring gas on the open flame. From explaining how contractors that delivered 40+ weeks of additional work were not worth their current day rate to rationalizing that it is too humanistic for contractors to be paid decent wages, the COO takes the cake for running off great talent that helped Brooks sell work. Several contractor departures were met with rage and verbal abuse due to the COO's lack of ability to negotiate to retain good talent. The final straw for me was when it was inferred that the company (CEO and COO) deserved most of the compensation from project since they are running the company when in reality it is the Consultants, PM and Directors that are selling work and additional work on the projects. In 2015, one project had the entire working crew replaced during the project due to the inept management from the C-level.

Advice to Management

Rethink your desire to be the consulting firm known to sell work that is staffed with poor to marginal employees that do not complete the quality of work that will provide options for additional work. If you truly want to build the business to provide quality consulting services, stop being so greedy at the onset and the profits will come from solid projects that lead to relationships that do not end with only one 26 week project.

"There is room for improvement at BI"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Brooks International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New executive management's trying to restructure the company imagine and work ethics. If you like traveling Monday through Friday within specific industry (railroad and food processing) then this is your company

Cons

Unappreciative top management, poor communication, unfulfilled promises. BI needs to get up to date their technology and come to terms that their old business model is something outdated and it is bound to fail in the long run. They need to provide formal training for their Associates and a performance appraisal system that is reflects your skills. Understand that when you apply your previous qualifications do not matter for they don't want that and they need take constructive criticism and not view it as a threat. Therefore you will have a short career. Beware of the CEO, he has the last say in everything no matter what his management wants.

Advice to Management

Best of luck to you . If you change your poor reputation and reduce high turnover you will be able to build a viable team. You should look at people as assets and resources that can lead your team into the 21st century if you leave out the politics

"Run away if you care at all about your CV"

I worked at Brooks International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good low level troops

Cons

Culture, management, nepotism, client value, professionalism

Advice to Management

Sell your book and start over. You can see from the company reviews that it will only get harder to attract talent.

"Crooks International"

Former Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with interesting and smart Senior Consultants, Consultants, and Analysts.

Cons

This company is run by a megalomaniacal tyrant. The management rules with draconian inefficiency and thrives on tricking clients into aspiring to become above a sub-level 1 company. Threats to the staff are common, making Brooks an extremely hostile place to work. Directors in the firm are often kicked off of projects because the client is no longer aligned to their brutality Theory X management style. Brooks claims to be above the normal operations management consultancy, but is no better--and in most cases--worse than others of this boutique niche. Please look elsewhere if you want to get into management consulting. This place will NOT boost your resume.

Advice to Management

Consider closing shop and changing out ownership.