Brooks International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lui Damasceno

"An Attempt at Objectivity"

Former Employee - Executive Management
    Former Employee - Executive Management

I worked at Brooks International (More than 8 years)

Pros

In the interest of honesty, integrity and transparency I must first say that I have not worked at Brooks International for more than a year. I cannot speak, with frankness or knowledge, of anything “current” at the company. That being said, and having recently made recommendation to two people to consider Brooks as a career opportunity (one who expressed concern over postings made on this site) I feel compelled to address certain “points of view” expressed (mainly anonymously) by people (most of whom, regardless of their desire to post anonymously I can confidently say, with a high level of probability, I either know or hired) who have exercised their legitimate right to “have a voice”. I too have always understood my inherent “right to write” but never exercised my franchise as I: 1) Take umbrage with GlassDoor’s business model and 2) Suspected that, given my position, I would be considered disingenuous.
    Now that I no longer have any vested interest (either personally or professionally) in the company; no need to defend/promote it or myself and in the full knowledge that legitimate “points of view” often have a “back story” I say…
    Anyone seriously considering a career in “consulting” need first understand the myriad opportunities in the field and must objectively look at the very real differences in working for a “major”, i.e. McKinsey, Bain, Boston, etc. and a “niche player” like Brooks International. Having spent 30+ years in consulting and eight of those years at Brooks International I can speak to the unique character of the company and to the unique people destined to succeed in its ranks. Anyone accepting an offer of employment at Brooks International that thinks that their standing as an Excel Wizard, PowerPoint Jockey, 30-year veteran or MBA graduate are sufficient credentials for unmitigated success really needs to think again. One of the truly “unique” characteristics of Brooks is its ECM approach. There are a lot of companies that “claim” a “behavioral approach”; Brooks is the only one that truly lives, breathes and dies the approach and the commitment to providing value through a sustained and positive change in human behavior.
    The commitment required to provide the type and quality of interventions required to maintain the integrity and delivery standards of Brooks International is unquestionably absolute. Anyone who maintains that they were not (during the recruiting and hiring process) told of the time and travel commitments (the most cited negatives and/or root cause in most of the comments on site) simply were not listening. Anyone who claims not to have known about the “all in” culture filtered out the truth that was told both before and during tenure.

Cons

If there is or are “cons” of working at Brooks International it is probably and best stated that koyaanisqatsi may be realized. The job requires a commitment to time, effort and human stamina that can and does tax relationships of all kinds. Being blind to that fact will inevitably lead to discontent. For me, the biggest “con” was the amount of time I had to spend on the phone. My acknowledged “weakness” – bordering on “phobia” - about my terrible ability to communicate effectively in that medium caused both fear and anxiety to diminish my effectiveness and standing.

Advice to Management

Anyone who claims that Lui Damasceno is a “sociopath/psychopath” is simply misinformed. Having worked for people who were pathologically/clinically defined (and being medicated with psychotropic drugs) as such, I can categorically state that Lui is not in that category. Lui is a committed businessperson and family man with six children. He has always maintained that all Brooks’ employees work for their family first; he thinks of all Brooks’ employees as his family. Sure, Lui “has his days”; don’t we all? Lui can be very demanding (as is his right as the CEO) but his “demands” can always be traced back to his unwavering commitment to his family and to the firm’s clients. I will close by adding that there was a post on this site claiming that “bodily harm” was threatened at the company (and insinuated that attribution belonged to Lui). I am intimately familiar with that charge as the actual event involved me using colloquial language and saying: “If this ever happens again, I will kill you.” I was wrong to use that language; it was, however, just a figure of speech and one that Lui properly admonished me for using. Lui doesn’t speak that way.

"Interesting Experience"

I worked at Brooks International part-time

Pros

- Good pay
    - Pretty good about working around my schedule (I was in university at the time)
    - Good experience in processes of a business

Cons

- High stress environment
    - Received calls or emails asking status updates while away from work (as a hourly college intern)
    - Threats from senior management (I think this was to stress importance of work..)
    - Revolving door (I remember 1 employee being there a total of 1 day)
    - Lack of respect for employees (I heard many insults and profanity directed at employees)
    - Strict dress code (Employee handbook specified what cuff style (French) was correct)
    - Micromanagement

Advice to Management

If everything is important, nothing is important. Get the priorities straight as far as what needs to happen and when. Trust your employees to do the job you hire them for.

"Run, don't walk, in the other direction"

I worked at Brooks International full-time

Pros

Great training, which is necessary since they hire so many young, inexperienced consultants.

Cons

Where to start? 1950's management style where people are not respected, are sworn at, and threatened with firing as a routine part of the culture. Dreadful tone set by the CEO. This results in a revolving door the likes of which I have not seen in any other firm.

Advice to Management

The CEO, owner should sell the business to someone who could turn it into something positive. Recognize that your people-management style is highly destructive to moral and productivity, and is very expensive since you are constantly having to replace the people who leave you.

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel to sometimes great locations. Gained points for hotels and rental cars. Per diem was usually at GSA rate, which is fair.

Cons

Overly aggressive and abusive management. Not well-respected and not experienced in most industries. A culture of bullying and condescension. No bonuses, no raises.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to client companies! Deliver results. Treat your employees with respect.

"1980's Consulting Model"

Pros

1. Pay on time. Per Diem and hotel quality I thought was just fine.
    2. I met some friends I like and I'll keep in touch with.
    3. HR Director is nice and quite professional.

Cons

1. Fly in on Sunday/Fly out on Friday afternoon. One day a week (Saturday) is yours alone. This model doesn't retain top talent because they can go elsewhere and make more and work less. Turnover is off the chart and I'm talking you're there months, not years and you're gone. You either quit or you're rolled off. If you are there more than a year or two, you have no other options in the marketplace or you would obviously have left by then.
    2. Pay is generally below industry for this type of work. Benefits are weak.
    3. Work over the holidays (Xmas, New Years) with emails and con-calls. This is the most invasive company in terms of your personal time I've ever been associated with.
    4. Daily wrap up meetings that can last for hours and can be very unprofessional and rude. Senior people using their title to bully junior consultants in front of everyone.
    5. Super tactical, minute to minute management of activities.

Advice to Management

There is only one manager of Brooks, and he owns the place. Everyone else is a minion. It's very comical and I actually did enjoy watching this.

"Brooks Consultant"

I worked at Brooks International full-time

Pros

A major plus is the company's flexibility with its employees. Good employee benefits, and a nice office.

Cons

CEO seems to lack some transparency. Lack of company culture, what is it even? Just by looking at the website (which is a complete joke) you can see how undefined the company is. It needs to brand itself and instill a culture of transparency, and focus on retaining employees.

Advice to Management

Fix that website as soon as possible - it looks outdated, boring, and looks as if the pictures were taken directly from Google images. It cannot be overstated enough for Brooks to finally update the ridiculous website.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brooks International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are willing to pay market rate for talent. Senior staff is knowledgeable.

Cons

Has an intense focus on cost cutting measures. Needs to focus more on developing expertise in sector growth. The 6 day travel model needs to be revamped. That model is not sustainable nor suitable for work-life balance.

"Ceo is the biggest pr@ck ive ever seen"

Former Employee - Project Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Director in New York, NY

Pros

None at all zero nothing niente

Cons

A rediculous company that sells hot air. I feel embarrassed ive worked for them. Its a bad copy and paste from other last century consulting companies. Totally passed. The ceo lives on another planet. Thinks he s good but does not bave a clue. A bac second hand car sales man is better than him. A cheap shoe sales man job is to high for him. Run away while u can. It will look terrible on your cv the name brooks one.

Advice to Management

Find a job and leave

"There is room for improvement at BI"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Brooks International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New executive management's trying to restructure the company imagine and work ethics. If you like traveling Monday through Friday within specific industry (railroad and food processing) then this is your company

Cons

Unappreciative top management, poor communication, unfulfilled promises. BI needs to get up to date their technology and come to terms that their old business model is something outdated and it is bound to fail in the long run. They need to provide formal training for their Associates and a performance appraisal system that is reflects your skills. Understand that when you apply your previous qualifications do not matter for they don't want that and they need take constructive criticism and not view it as a threat. Therefore you will have a short career. Beware of the CEO, he has the last say in everything no matter what his management wants.

Advice to Management

Best of luck to you . If you change your poor reputation and reduce high turnover you will be able to build a viable team. You should look at people as assets and resources that can lead your team into the 21st century if you leave out the politics

"Brooks is doing well now"

Former Employee - Contractor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Contractor in Houston, TX

Pros

Several new faces at Brooks are making great strides to forming an excellent organization. Lui Damasceno is providing leadership and strategy to build it right.

Cons

Still pushing to make everyone an employee. If you are a contractor, your time will be short on the project. Make the best of it.

Advice to Management

Continue to build a good team. Effective leadership from Derrick Gordon and Mark Womack will certainly assist.