Brooks Sports Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Jim Weber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are actually OK if you factor in the work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great People to work and run with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Boys club environment--especially in management, sales, and footwear (in 5 reviews)

• There's no oversight that a "real" board of directors would offer, nor is there even a CFO to provide a balance in decision making (in 5 reviews)

1. "Warehouse Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumner, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumner, WA

I have been working at Brooks Sports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Excellent benefits and ample paid time off . Good work life balance with a great culture.

Cons

Moving the warehouse to the mid west in 2019 putting many people out of a job

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brooks Sports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is all about running

Cons

Good Ole Boys Club not open to smart, talented people who want to change the status quo and improve the business. The only thing they know how to do is wash, rinse, repeat. In the last year I have witnessed some of the best talent in the industry get pushed out the door because they had an opinion different than two people at the very top. If you want to do good things and push the envelope look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Warren, clean house at the top. They are beyond their leadership capacity.

"Wonderful company, culture and brand seemingly on the downslide."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Brooks Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture of health and wellness. You'll always have cheap (and free), cutting edge running gear + free entry into runs and races. You will feel great about your ability to take care of yourself physically. You will be empowered to be healthy. You will feel good about the products you are making.

Generally great CEO + backing of Berkshire-Hathaway equates to market focus and stability...except

Cons

...recent madness in management circles has led to a lot of "restructuring" and shaving of good, talented people...myself included :) I'm not bitter I just think it's a shame. The best part of Brooks is the people, but over the course of my time I saw fantastic people move on to greener (see better pay + advancement) pastures. Seemingly crappier situations are pulling talent elsewhere which is sad.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page and learn to communicate. Stand behind the transparency you preach. Infighting will get you zero long-term loyalty.

Being an exceptional brand is not enough. Know that talented people will leave if they're forced to do so. Remember Seattle is expensive and competitive. YAY.

"Brooks Running Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Brooks Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Awesome PTO plan and your birthday off.
    • Flexible hours (depending on your department. Some departments have to have a more set schedule due to customer needs.)
    • Tight-knit running community. It’s possible to find a running buddy who shares similar splits/running style.
    • Opportunity to run during work.
    • Product discounts.
    • Wonderful customer service department. They are truly experts in the product and are the hardest working department within the company.
    • Good IT support- you have people who jump on technical issues to help you get your laptop up and running again.
    • Opportunities to meet as a company twice per year. Usually at a fun location.
    • They still do a holiday party. Has been at some fancy places over the years. A good excuse to get dressed up and party with your work friends.
    • Company has a good social media presence. Customer service works hard to leverage social for customer service purposes.
    • Company runs. More opportunities to run on the company dime.
    • Some teams are very close and do things outside of work together.

Cons

• Salaries seem significantly below market. Seems worth it in exchange for working in outdoor/active industry and the culture, but the culture isn’t that great, so it just feels unfair. Looking at a multiple year career there, salary growth is minimal compared to other companies.
    • Many leaders work far less than a 40 hour work week and that leaves direct reports wondering what their boss actually does.
    • “College-like” atmosphere. It is easy to feel “old” or like you don’t fit in if you don’t buy in to the frat boy mentality. Not a very inclusive environment. It is a popularity contest and qualified people are regularly passed over for promotions because someone else is in better with the boss.
    • The best employees are leaving because they aren’t finding career advancement. Managers aren’t willing to invest in training employees.
    • Limited budget for external training.
    • Bonuses are a thing of the past. Promotions are hard to come by, so limited opportunity for salary growth.
    • Executives talk about transparency, but company is shrouded in secrecy.
    • Many people are promoted in to leadership roles who don’t have the experience to back it up or the aptitude to be successful. Lower level employees work hard to make their bosses look good, and recognition is non-existent.

"Happy to be here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brooks Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is excellent (PTO policy is top-notch)!
    - Employees are genuinely nice.
    - Love my team and the work I do!

Cons

- Pay doesn't compare with tech companies in the area.

"Times have changed"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Brooks Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on gear, running during work day, unlimited paid time off

Cons

Bad politics, poor leadership, bad management styles, no long-term vision, inappropriate behavior unrecognized or worse, ignored

Advice to Management

Don't allow executive-level roles to be filled by people who are trying to build their resumes. Get experts in and trust their expertise. The culture has be tainted and anyone who is a manager or below is likely unhappy and underpaid. All while the cats at the top are getting fat and not listening to real-world situations on the front lines.

"Hit the Wall"

I have been working at Brooks Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of good and smart people in the trenches. Great discount on shoes. Work schedule is very flexible.

Cons

Company has lost its way. Still make great shoes but have no idea how to sell them.

Teams constantly working at cross-purposes. No real internal communication.

Pay is so-so. Benefits are way below average.

Advice to Management

Stop playing to not lose. We could be category killers if you weren't so timid.

8. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brooks Sports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work with many perks. Flexible work schedules, supportive management & leadership, good time off, and great culture.

Cons

Pay compared to tech companies in the area.

"You Have to be "Cool" to Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Brooks Sports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job. Simple data entry, emailing and calling customers and stores about their orders. Very relaxed work environment. Casual dress code. You can find free street parking most of the time. They seem to not mind if you are occasionally a few min late.

Cons

The culture here is that you have to be "cool", fit in, be popular, and well liked in order to be respected here. My manager was a part of this also. She would talk to everyone else on a friendly level, but never spoke to me. She didn't say hello, talk to me, or ever give me feedback about my performance. When she did talk to me, she didn't make eye contact with me.

They hire a lot of temps, but little if any effort is made in including them in most of the activities. It's not a very inclusionary or egalitarian workplace. Some people do respect the temp employees, but most of the people their treat the temps badly. Even in things like casual conversation, they do subtly insulting and condescending gestures to let you know you're not welcome and not part of the group. The temps are not allowed in some of the meetings and to the parties they have. It's not a good environment. There were times when they would have games and social functions in the office for permanent employees, but the temps would be at their desks, quiet, isolated, and just doing there work because they weren't included and people wouldn't talk to them.

One thing I noticed while I was there was that most all of the temps were minorities, older people (40+), and disabled people. Meanwhile most all of their permanent, full time employees were white, 25-40 yrs old, college educated, privileged, and socially popular ("cool"). Why don't they have more individuals from the former as permanent full time employees?

Add all this to the fact that there's no benefits and it just sucks working here. Don't work at Brooks.

Advice to Management

This is a radical idea, but create more of an egalitarian and inclusionary workplace. If you're going to hire temps, treat them with respect and dignity, rather than being condesceding and subtly rude to them. You can talk to them also and treat them as human beings rather than just isolating them. Stop being a prejudiced company who only respects people that you think are "cool".

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brooks Sports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules and great lunch options

Cons

Not very great pay, but good at distracting you from that