Broward County Schools Educator Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 11 reviews

4.0
Broward County Schools CEO Robert W. Runcie
Robert W. Runcie
  1. "Loved Teaching in Broward County"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teacher are given a small stipend in the beginning of the year for classroom supplies. The principal at my school was caring and listed to what we needed as teachers. The health care benefits are also pretty good.

Cons

The salary and the demands to teach to the standardized tests.

Broward County Schools2019-08-14
  2. "Horrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Educator

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time

Pros

Summers off and all holidays off

Cons

Placing administrators (Principals & Assistant Principals) who are not qualified or capable of leading. Very little increase in pay - Union has to argue with the district to get teachers pennies

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends to lead when they are not capable of doing the job.

Broward County Schools2019-08-13
  3. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Lauderdale Lakes, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits of working with the district includes the benefits

Cons

The cons of working with the district is the pay

Advice to Management

Increase earning and growth potential

Broward County Schools2019-07-25
  4. "Educator"

Current Employee - Educator in Davie, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Steady work, some good teachers, and staff.

Cons

Lack of professional advancement, a lot of corruption, micro-management, hostile working environment,

Advice to Management

Be innovative and get rid of many school administrators.

Broward County Schools2017-08-01

"Political - not for kids"

Former Employee - Education Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Try to help children and make a difference in their lives and help teachers become better at their craft. More seasoned administrators will mentor you and are knowledgeable about curriculum.

Cons

Politics rule over children. Administrators care more about politics, school grades, then they do about children, learning, and teaching curriculum. Kids are test prepped to death.

Advice to Management

Hire administrators that know the curriculum they are evaluating teachers on. I was at the district level and this was a challenge for the teachers I mentored and coached.

Broward County Schools2017-06-24
  6. "helping students"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

fun working with the kids

Cons

having different kinds of attitudes

Advice to Management

find a solution to work with kids with issues

Broward County Schools2017-05-09
  7. "Broward Subsitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Educator in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Can work when you want. $11.27 an hour Can teach any available subject

Cons

No medical coverage at all No benefits Can be reassigned during planning periods

Advice to Management

Give a health care option to your substitute teacher. They desire it.

Broward County Schools2016-09-25
  8. "Certified elementary school teacher (k-6) with extensive background and experience working with children."

Current Employee - Elementary Education Teacher in Broward Gardens, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools part-time

Pros

I have been working for Broward County Schools for the last eight years. I know a little bit about the school systems. There is a flexibility with the curriculum and the district really cares about what the students need and about keeping their culture interactive.

Cons

It's been a great experience working for Broward County Schools because the school district is so diverse.

Advice to Management

No advise possible to management at the moment.

Broward County Schools2015-04-25
  9. "Once a great job that motivated Professionals to want to do everything, now just needed for survival."

Current Employee - Educator in Broward Highlands, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

These days not too many, but good schedule and constant money & benefits.

Cons

100% Political which I found out after a whole career of devoting my whole life to it.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything you hear, from anyone, from Principals, Parents, or students. I know you have to look into certain things, but I have witnessed, then experienced way too many false 100% untruthful claims over the years. Anything positive you hear, will be based on my Pros or from "Former" teachers. Yes, it used too be a great career and still is for people who are protected or in the "In Crowd", but every... current teacher I know will tell you it is a "Good ole' Boy' system. Which means, if you're in (basically keeping quiet, doing everything they want or friends). Teachers are in the toughest position in the world as far as being protected, because if 1 student, 1 parent, or 1 administrator is mad at you (Ex. don't agree with a grade, speak your opinion, no longer doing extra work you have once done for many years), they can make a 100% false claim and your reputation is trashed no matter what. As teachers, we all know once you show disagreement, you are considered labeled "where they will continue to come after you, try to get you, and won't stop. It becomes a County wide situation, meaning through the county schools and SIU backs up the administrators no matter what. Some principals are even married to some of the county's security investigative unit. Teachers know this, we have all seen examples of great people go down because they became black listed for various reasons. At this point, I do trust Runcie and truly believe he is trying to clean up this politically corrupt system, but lets see if he sticks with the battle against the "Good Ole' Boy" network that has been created years ago. I no longer trust anyone in this system, including Administrators who I have seen lie over and over, get away with anything they want to do, to SIU who works hand in hand with school's administrators, and even doubt, don't trust the local Union. Teacher's been accountable forever, have been abused with the increase workload for less pay, but now that Runcie is starting to hold these principals the same way, (who were always untouchable just because), now you hear all of the administrators and their union crying wolf, saying the evaluation system isn't fair and negative claims by parents shouldn't be counted, etc. Welcome to the lives of thousands of teachers that have been dealing with it their whole careers and because knowing the system is 100% corrupt... (all of the major systems know each other, are friends, and stick together no matter what)... us teachers know, because we have seen many great educators go down because you are very easily black listed for many reasons! We are only standing right now, with the hope and trust we have in the Super Runcie. I have made a career out of teaching, make less money than I did 5 years ago, so I know a lot of teachers and I will tell you that there is not one teacher I know that is happy, would do anything to change careers, but it is very hard to do.

Broward County Schools2013-04-19
  10. "Decent county school system"

Former Employee - Educator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall decent to good schools, great hours (You are like a kid). Great people, workers, and of course it's special to work with the kids and help them grow intellectually and socially.

Cons

Severe glass ceiling. You know what you are going to get paid 5 years down the road (May be a pro). Very minimal growth. Strict bureaucracy however there are loopholes that people abuse (Such as becoming an assistant principle without doing all the required steps).

Advice to Management

You are a government agency that continuously goes broke, corrupt. I'm not sure if that is something you can address. I don't understand as of 2012 you received massive funding and still complain about jobs for educators, yet the state of Florida requires no more than 25 students in a class room. The class rooms are expanding, the hiring of teachers are not. Makes no sense.

Broward County Schools2012-08-06