Brown Advisory Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael D. Hankin

1. "Great place"

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time

Pros

Very flat reporting structure and great access to senior leaders.

Cons

Confusing and vague promotion structure

2. "Inefficiently Operated"

I worked at Brown Advisory full-time

Pros

Free food (although the company has started reducing the amount of free food in the office)

Cons

Pay (below market)
    Culture (run by fear)
    Too many people who don't know what they are doing

Advice to Management

Reduce number of people

3. "good place to start but don't expect to stay long."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

- most people are generally nice EXCEPT for a select few
    - nice benefits
    - tuition reimbursements
    - networking opportunities

Cons

- too top heavy
    - management does not care for your advancement unless you are in the inner circle
    - select people are extremely rude and exhibit outrageous behavior. They are never talked to or reprimanded.
    - offers stock options but it's actually worthless
    - creates an illusion of a perfect culture when in fact there is no such culture
    - not diverse
    - puts down people in lower positions
    - a lot of inefficiencies in processes and etc.
    - good performance is not fairly rewarded when deserved. What is the point of working harder if the end result doesn't change.
    - it's very obvious someone is posting fake reviews to make BA seem somewhat decent on glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Stop being blind to what is going on. You're losing talent.

5. "Disappointing"

I worked at Brown Advisory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Aside from a select few bad eggs the majority of the people who work here are very smart and genuinely good people.

Cons

Poorly managed from an operational perspective and does not pay well. Too top heavy for the size -- there are a lot of male partners.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people with little to no management experience in management roles and invest in your current employees growth opportunities as much as you do for interns.

"One of the Best Companies I've Ever Worked At"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is second to none. People REALLY care about serving clients well. The firm continues to grow and the new employees that have joined us over the last couple of years are some of the smartest and most collaborative business professionals I've ever had the pleasure to work alongside. The senior leadership team is a very approachable and strong. I'm really happy to have found such a great place to build my career.

Cons

Employees work really hard. This place isn't for you if you are not comfortable with change.

"Hiring Process"

Current Employee - Fixed Income Credit Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Fixed Income Credit Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brown Advisory ensures that it chooses the right people by having many different people interview you. I interviewed for a full-time Fixed Income Credit Analyst position, and I was interviewed by Human Resources, Analysts, Portfolio Managers, Partners, ect.

I felt as if the process was very technical in nature; however, qualified candidates must display personality. My third round "interview" was a credit analysis on a HY corporate that I had time to research in advance. I presented the presentation in PPT format. During the presentation, the interviewers asked me many questions about my project, which showed me they were engaged throughout the presentation.

My best advice to anyone who is interviewing for a Brown Advisory position would be to: stay calm, keep relaxed, and speak conversationally. I believe executive presence can go a long way for an interviewee. And don't forget, trust your education!!

Cons

The entire interview process can take a long time, so don't get frustrated if things drag out-a-bit. Chances are, the firm is looking at many other candidates for the position. Also, from what it seems, it is slightly easier to start off as an intern; however, progressing from intern to full-time is an extremely competitive process. Usually, Brown Advisory hires 5 of approximately 20 interns each season.

"Summer Analyst Review"

Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Brown Advisory employees invest a huge amount of time and energy into helping interns/summer analysts contribute to the firm in a meaningful way. In the beginning of the program, summer analysts are encouraged to ask for projects in areas that interest them. Summer analysts who produce significant value and aim to exemplify the culture Brown Advisory prides itself on have a better chance of being hired as full time employees. It is up to the summer analyst to expand upon their work and display their ambition to join the team. Caring about and serving clients is the top priority here. One of the best ways to do that is to encourage personal growth in the firm's employees, regardless of their age or experience. Brown Advisory does this extremely well. I have been very impressed with the summer analyst program.

Cons

The program is intentionally unstructured in some areas to allow summer analysts to run with their projects. This style is not for everyone.

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, employee incentives and potential for growth

Cons

growing at a way-too-rapid pace, needs more structure and proper training

Advice to Management

More Communication and listening to employees

"Most Unfriendly Place I Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Brown Advisory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office location with picturesque views
    Excellent, affordable, comprehensive benefits package
    Autonomy to create work without being micromanaged
    Tuition reimbursement program (for some)
    Great flexibility to take requested time off
    Work with people of high intellect, pedigree and drive
    Outreach to millennials to develop and support next generation is good
    No dress code - females allowed to dress provocatively in thigh high dresses, backs out and cleavage showing

Cons

'Good ole boy' network in full effect with older whites males and little diversity of women in leadership with voices
    Nepotism at its finest - husband/wife, in-laws and brother/sisters working in same dept.
    Hiring process is very loose with no structure to hire fairly based on ability to do the job
    Hiring mostly a process of identifying someone who attended the university with best friend, brother, cousin, or has lots of money to invest, and you're a shoe-in for getting hired.
    Morale is really low for those there for years (deadwood); feel devalued (most have no college degree to compete with new employees with multiple degrees)
    No accountability for people developmental training for managers of people, though sorely needed.

DO NOT BOTHER TO APPLY- African American women - it is not a good cultural fit - never feel welcomed. Black men being hired rule the day & will do well because they are fawned over by white women bc of bald heads, professional dress, deep voices and nice looks.

HR dept - no voice or seat at the table in helping to make PEOPLE MGMT decisions..
    HR staff constantly "leaked" matters of privacy within the firm.
    Racial undertones in comments which mgmt never wanted to acknowledge. "We left the meeting and I drove down Liberty Rd to return of the office". "You did?" "Yes, it was still daylight."

Shouting matches, door slammings and expletives are too commonplace.
    Just another day of "business as usual" at Brown Investment Advisory & Trust

Advice to Management

They already know what needs to be done; however, as long as all appears to be well on the surface, they have no need to change anything.

"Great Place to Work*( *If You Are a Partner)"

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people: the staff at Brown Advisory is made up of motivated, intelligent individuals. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The company is lean on personnel, which may be great for the bottom line, but it is not good for a work/life balance. You can work 70 , 80 or more hours a week, come in on weekends and still be swamped. The pay is not great. Bonuses are loose-y goose-y -- unless you are in the upper tier.

Advice to Management

For managers in charge of large groups of people, it would be a good idea for the company to provide them with at least some management training.