Brown Advisory Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael D. Hankin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place"

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time

Pros

Very flat reporting structure and great access to senior leaders.

Cons

Confusing and vague promotion structure

"Perks are great but if you aren't someone you will probably never be recognized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Brown Advisory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome perks, young culture, great health and wellness programs, active in community service and sustainability

Cons

Nepotism, so many exceptions to rules you can't keep them straight, not a lot of diversity, lack of cross training, management still maintains high expectations and is demanding even when you're short staffed

Advice to Management

Emphasize cross training or documenting procedures so your people aren't left scrambling when you let people go or people leave

"Appreciate the people and knowledge learned."

Current Employee - Portfolio Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Portfolio Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are above and beyond industry norms. Experienced quick growth and enjoyed entrepreneurial spirit. Brown Advisory has an eye to the future and focused on NextGen.

Cons

Brown Advisory needs more transparency and expectations should be less vague. There is a feeling of insider/outsider and a certain peak career progression.

4. "Inefficiently Operated"

I worked at Brown Advisory full-time

Pros

Free food (although the company has started reducing the amount of free food in the office)

Cons

Pay (below market)
    Culture (run by fear)
    Too many people who don't know what they are doing

Advice to Management

Reduce number of people

"good place to start but don't expect to stay long."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

- most people are generally nice EXCEPT for a select few
    - nice benefits
    - tuition reimbursements
    - networking opportunities

Cons

- too top heavy
    - management does not care for your advancement unless you are in the inner circle
    - select people are extremely rude and exhibit outrageous behavior. They are never talked to or reprimanded.
    - offers stock options but it's actually worthless
    - creates an illusion of a perfect culture when in fact there is no such culture
    - not diverse
    - puts down people in lower positions
    - a lot of inefficiencies in processes and etc.
    - good performance is not fairly rewarded when deserved. What is the point of working harder if the end result doesn't change.
    - it's very obvious someone is posting fake reviews to make BA seem somewhat decent on glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Stop being blind to what is going on. You're losing talent.

"Disappointing"

I worked at Brown Advisory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Aside from a select few bad eggs the majority of the people who work here are very smart and genuinely good people.

Cons

Poorly managed from an operational perspective and does not pay well. Too top heavy for the size -- there are a lot of male partners.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people with little to no management experience in management roles and invest in your current employees growth opportunities as much as you do for interns.

"One of the Best Companies I've Ever Worked At"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is second to none. People REALLY care about serving clients well. The firm continues to grow and the new employees that have joined us over the last couple of years are some of the smartest and most collaborative business professionals I've ever had the pleasure to work alongside. The senior leadership team is a very approachable and strong. I'm really happy to have found such a great place to build my career.

Cons

Employees work really hard. This place isn't for you if you are not comfortable with change.

"Hiring Process"

Current Employee - Fixed Income Credit Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Fixed Income Credit Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brown Advisory ensures that it chooses the right people by having many different people interview you. I interviewed for a full-time Fixed Income Credit Analyst position, and I was interviewed by Human Resources, Analysts, Portfolio Managers, Partners, ect.

I felt as if the process was very technical in nature; however, qualified candidates must display personality. My third round "interview" was a credit analysis on a HY corporate that I had time to research in advance. I presented the presentation in PPT format. During the presentation, the interviewers asked me many questions about my project, which showed me they were engaged throughout the presentation.

My best advice to anyone who is interviewing for a Brown Advisory position would be to: stay calm, keep relaxed, and speak conversationally. I believe executive presence can go a long way for an interviewee. And don't forget, trust your education!!

Cons

The entire interview process can take a long time, so don't get frustrated if things drag out-a-bit. Chances are, the firm is looking at many other candidates for the position. Also, from what it seems, it is slightly easier to start off as an intern; however, progressing from intern to full-time is an extremely competitive process. Usually, Brown Advisory hires 5 of approximately 20 interns each season.

"Summer Analyst Review"

Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Brown Advisory employees invest a huge amount of time and energy into helping interns/summer analysts contribute to the firm in a meaningful way. In the beginning of the program, summer analysts are encouraged to ask for projects in areas that interest them. Summer analysts who produce significant value and aim to exemplify the culture Brown Advisory prides itself on have a better chance of being hired as full time employees. It is up to the summer analyst to expand upon their work and display their ambition to join the team. Caring about and serving clients is the top priority here. One of the best ways to do that is to encourage personal growth in the firm's employees, regardless of their age or experience. Brown Advisory does this extremely well. I have been very impressed with the summer analyst program.

Cons

The program is intentionally unstructured in some areas to allow summer analysts to run with their projects. This style is not for everyone.

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brown Advisory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, employee incentives and potential for growth

Cons

growing at a way-too-rapid pace, needs more structure and proper training

Advice to Management

More Communication and listening to employees