Brown County Wisconsin Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Troy Streckenbach

"okay"

I worked at Brown County Wisconsin

Pros

Biggest pro is benefits - benefits are offered on a pro-rated basis starting at half time (in the county, that's 18.75 hours). The insurance is fairly good, but what's really excellent is the PTO. For the work I was doing, I think I was compensated fairly well for an hourly wage for the work I was doing, but because the insurance is pro-rated at part time it does cut into your take home pay fairly substantially.

Cons

Job duties are very strictly divided by job position/title and there is lots of red tape. I suppose this shouldn't be surprising, but one always hopes for better.

Advice to Management

The department I was in is the middle of a rebranding of both its public image as well as its internal culture. At the time of my departure, I am cautiously optimistic.

Brown County Wisconsin2016-08-21
  2. "Great experience however not for long term"

I have been working at Brown County Wisconsin

Pros

Coworkers are great and help each other out. Receive 3-4 weeks of vacation/sick time per year. Hours are 37.5 per week so work schedule is rather flexible. After a few years in this position you have good experience to get you a job elsewhere.

Cons

Have to work in a call center. Management asks for feedback but nothing changes. Favoritism is huge and there is no room for advancement or even movement within the department. While coworkers are great with helping each other there is a strong negative attitude about the job and have no respect for other cultures or populations.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees---people leave bosses, not jobs. Favoritism and false attempts to listen to the employees push people out faster than ever.

Brown County Wisconsin2016-07-02
  3. "Compared to other counties, pay is less and higher workload"

Current Employee - Economic Support Specialist in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Brown County Wisconsin full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Helping community, good health benefits, good retirement benefits, good PTO.

Cons

Rate of pay, no room for advancement, workload too high

Brown County Wisconsin2014-12-08

"Needs better leaders"

Current Employee - Civil Service in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Brown County Wisconsin full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The people served and the people serving in this community are generally good and worth the effort.

Cons

Leadership is not a priority. Upward mobility is a not usually possible, supervisors are chosen from outside the county. Interviews are mostly a sham because of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Devote resources to improving relationships inside the organization on an ongoing basis. Read the mission statement and either apply it to the organization or revise it.

Brown County Wisconsin2014-09-21
  5. "(Flat budget for over 10 yrs) + (No budget/salary adjustments for inflation) = understaffed depts & underpaid employees"

I have been working at Brown County Wisconsin full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Most of the people there are great to work with.

Cons

Fundamentally broken: The good ol' boy network is alive and well. Benefit costs keep rising, but salaries remain the same (because of the flat budget). Very true that some managers/directors are very unprofessional, and poor to no communication to staff.

Advice to Management

Create a sustainable budget, implement 360 performance reviews, hire adequate staffing and adjust salaries for inflation.

Brown County Wisconsin2014-04-04
  6. "Antiquated systems, no communication at top levels, low morale."

I worked at Brown County Wisconsin full-time

Pros

Some departments have awesome managers and are building great teams.

Cons

1980's and 1990's technology; some managers are not professional, not well educated, and communicate very poorly. It's like a time-machine brings you back to before modern management methods and systems were invented.

Advice to Management

Hire more real managers with college degrees in their professions and relevant experience.

Brown County Wisconsin2014-01-16
  7. "My favorite workplace I ever had."

I worked at Brown County Wisconsin full-time

Pros

A team of completely dedicated people.

Cons

You do have to live somewhat nearby to work there, telecommuting isn't an option.

Brown County Wisconsin2013-10-16