Brown Distributing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
J. Dan Brown

1. "Good company with significant problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The employees and managers are generally good people. The fringe benefits (free beer, tickets to local events, etc.) are nice.

Cons

Poor inter-departmental communication and coordination. The pay in most departments (aside from Sales) is not competitive for the hours required.

Advice to Management

Find a way to remain competitive in the market without requiring employees to sacrifice evenings and weekends with family for low pay.

2. "order selector"

Former Employee - ORDER SELECTOR/FORKLIFT OPERATOR in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - ORDER SELECTOR/FORKLIFT OPERATOR in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brown Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like late night working and long hours plans Brown Distributing is a good company to work at

Cons

You work in a fast-paced environment that you got to keep on with the next person in order to make your money

Advice to Management

Be ready to work hard

3. "Drink the kool aid to stay employed"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Company car, free beer, staff outings

Cons

Rude, selfish, unfair, AB runs the show

5. "Good Company with good people"

Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

Pros

The benefits are great. 401k, medical, dental, gym membership etc., its just takes a while to qualify since they have such a high employee turnover. The job security is great and plus free cases of beer almost every month.

Cons

Pay is not competitive and especially for the Austin area. Making it difficult to remain motivated in a competitive market. Top management really unappreciative of some work that some of the other departments do.

Advice to Management

Show employees other then sales team more respect and start paying competitive to reduce employee turnover. It felt like we were always understaffed but we didn't require another position, someone just left every couple months. I think that will really establish Brown as the top wholesaler in the Austin market.

6. "Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Brown Distributing (Less than a year)

Pros

you'll work with alot of great people and you get a company car

Cons

Too many chiefs, not enough indians

Advice to Management

Promotions should be earned based on merit, not tenure.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - North Florida Account Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - North Florida Account Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Brown Distributing (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were really amazing

Cons

Poor bonus structure. And poor upper management.

8. "Good to the folks that work there..."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Brown Distributing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits good and team atmosphere. Seem to hire managers from within.

Cons

Commissions were a bit low.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

9. "One of the worst companies I have worked for"

Current Employee - Craft Loader in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Craft Loader in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Employees will have plenty of work & overtime to do if they work in the warehouse over night.

Cons

Management & ownership has no respect for the warehouse employees. I have worked until 4 or 5am Christmas & Thanksgiving morning. I worked in the Craft beer section and for a long time we were able to go home when our work was done. Management made a changer and never told us. My coworkers & I had to help out the Anheusher Busch side because they were always short staffed. I was working from 5pm to 5am most nights. Work is important, but I cannot continue being @ work all night and morning.

Advice to Management

Respect the good workers you have.

10. "Hard work but a good job"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brown Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, weekends off, benefits, amazing co-workers, real people who genuinely care

Cons

long hours, you better love driving...

Advice to Management

I have always wanted to work for a company where I am more than just a number, and that is how I feel at Brown. Upper management is really great, and I can talk to them like they are real people. Their open door policy is truly that, which I appreciate. Tracey in HR is a peach, and I have enjoyed everyone I have worked with so far. Their training program is unique in that they have you train in every aspect of the company. I love working here. I hate driving, but I love my job. You cannot be shy and work here. Any sales job is about fostering relationships.

11. "Brown Distributing - Richmond VA"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brown Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company buys food and spends big money on giveaways, especially during the Christmas season. Lots of company parties and it's a beer company so you get a first look into all the local events and new beers coming out. You are not allowed to purchase beer at a discount as they used to do. I do believe you are allowed discounts on beers at Brown sponsored events (if you actually have time away from work to go).

Cons

I worked in the warehouse. It was a relatively easy yet repetitive job. Employees show up on days they feel like it and are not reprimanded. They hire and fire often, some of the worst employees were kept and not being trained while the better employees got thrown into the fire. There was so much room for improvement, and this was brought up at meetings on several occasions, but unlike the last company I worked for, very little if anything at all was changed in the >12 months I worked there. The employees spent lots of time complaining and little time offering new ideas. This lack of appreciation and teamwork makes me understand why more wasn't done to accommodate the warehouse area. Overall low moral throughout, lots of people who would act like your friend and stab you in the back. A bunch of miscommunication and drama. New employees were not trained correctly, and had they been utilized, hours wouldn't have been so long for everyone (2pm - well into the AM). Don't even consider if you have a family. There was no supervision of what went on in the cooler, management was often too busy with other things to walk the floor and I feel their decisions were limited by higher management. Monster energy was sold in the drink machines for $1 a can, most of these were damages, unwashed and stained from busting open on the floor or out of date. Several employees shaking the machine to steal free drinks, if that gives any idea of what kind of people you'd be working with. All paychecks were consistently incorrect, chasing down a payroll person was quite the adventure. Trying to figure out my paycheck was a nightmare. I still don't know if I was ever correctly compensated to this day, or who I was supposed to talk to to resolve the problem. As far as the warehouse is concerned, I didn't feel like there were opportunities to advance, keeping people was hard enough whether they left on their own or were wrongfully terminated. MIGHT be able to advance into management but after reading the above, I'll let you decide if that's a wise choice.

Advice to Management

Middle management ~ Perhaps these problems are out of your control, get another job. Upper management ~ I'd already discussed what needed to be done, obviously my advice fell on deaf ears. Wasted enough time already, for all I care this company can continue to fail.