Brown & Brown Insurance Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Brown & Brown Insurance Portland Reviews

Updated Dec 8, 2018

Found 10 reviews

4.1
Brown & Brown Insurance CEO J. Powell Brown
J. Powell Brown
  1. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits. Very organized and supportive.

Cons

Work overload. There is too much work for each Account Manager to handle.

Advice to Management

Need more support on the teams to not be overworked.

Brown & Brown Insurance2018-12-08

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, Great environment, Great hours, Great benefits, Good pay. Everyone is helpful and listens to your ideas.

Cons

Workload can get overwhelming.

Brown & Brown Insurance2018-11-29
  3. "Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Love that people here treat each other with respect on professional and personal level. Love the ability to work from home and the flexibility needed to have work/life balance. Even with large workloads, management does things to reward their employees, and are engaged with the folks working here.

Cons

Office not on a good public transportation route (good meaning easy), if coming outside of Downtown Portland. Due to growth, we are separated out between two suites (but are working to get us all together).

Advice to Management

Help internal growth opportunities by advising what the process is to grow, or where to reach out within the company to get there. We can stress we'd love to do this, but then we never get the help to steer us in the direction needed to educate ourselves to grow.

Brown & Brown Insurance2018-11-30

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits like 401K matching, employee stock purchase plan and flexible time off. Promotes and recognizes individuals for their contributions, not their tenure. Approachable management team and strong community feel.

Cons

Salary and base pay is generally higher at other firms.

Brown & Brown Insurance2018-10-19

"Great Manager"

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Department Manager - approachable, genuinely concerned about any issues, takes immediate action to resolve any issues, makes working here fun.

Cons

Pay is a little lower than what you'd get paid at a different agency.

Brown & Brown Insurance2018-10-18

"Good benefits--not worth the treatment of employees"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Portland, OR

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 stars only because of the benefits. Decent amount of PTO to all employees. Paid closures (snow, power outages, etc). Office is NOT downtown. Free parking. Decent health insurance, although it went up a lot. Good 401k. GREAT ESPP program. Because of my role in Accounting, I also had a flex-schedule, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did (2 years).

Cons

Management. All management from top down. Employees are treated like they're worthless. Degraded verbally. Blatent sexism, both in regard to treatment and pay wages. There was inappropriate behavior from one of the managers to female employees, and that's only the one I know about. There's been rumors of others. When problems were aired to management or HR, they were disregarded. Main point? Managers do not care at... all about their employees. Pay is way under the competitors. My role was 36% under the local average. When politely brought up in review, I was told that if I didn't like it, go work somewhere else. High turnover in all departments. (Says a lot given the good company benefits.) No growth opportunities. Heard this from many departments, not just my own. If you have any integrity, self-worth, or career ambition, don't walk away from this company. Run.

Advice to Management

They've never listened before, why would they start now? This office is a lawsuit waiting to happen, both in treatment of employees and the complete lack of care over basic legal business practices.

Brown & Brown Insurance2018-09-06

"Associate Underwriter at Hull & Company Portland - 1 year ago."

Former Employee - Underwriter in Portland, OR

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking for experience in the insurance industry it does provide good experience in underwriting.

Cons

The morale is very low. Heavily micromanaged. People are scared to death to talk about their jobs because people are always looking to throw you under the bus to make themselves look better. Very little training what so ever once you get past the basics. In a production role they expect you to come up with your own ideas on how to be successful and really have no input or ideas for you. When you start somewhere... that has 30 years of combined experience with management, you would think that you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel or "figure things out for yourself". No plan in place for people to be successful other than being expected to work long hours whether you have work to do or not. Management is very passive aggressive. The PCL talks negatively about employees in front of other employees. She will talk to you about other peoples problems and issues she is having with other employees. You really have to brown nose and attend every event or party the PCL puts on regardless of your family obligations or you will definitely notice that you are treated differently at work. It reminded me of how jobs were after the huge housing crisis and recession of 2008 where managers would treat people horribly like they didn't have other options. If you are in a real sales job you will not be satisfied with this position. It takes entirely too long to move up past your base salary and it is very political. Most of the successful people there have absolutely no sales experience aside from entry level positions, ie: selling gym memberships or vacuum cleaners but most really had nothing else to compare it to. I know the last 4 or 5 Underwriters did not work out and were not satisfied with the PCL or the lack of direction and a plan for their success. As well as the length of time needed to start making decent money. This is not a real sales position, nor is it a level playing field between underwriters. It is the closest thing to a pyramid scheme that I have ever been involved with. If you have a problem with the PCL there is literally no one you can talk to or have someone to hold her accountable. Stop taking a month off for your birthday and taking a vacation every two weeks then complain to people about work ethic. It's not respectable. STAY AWAY unless you don't know any better or really need a job because this job will beat you down and you will not be satisified unless you are truly grateful because it's the best job you have ever had.

Advice to Management

Have a plan in place that is proven to work for production positions. Be able to tell them who they should market to and why. Do not talk about employees to other employees or call employees out in front of others. I lost respect for my PCL after my 2nd week because she was talking to me about other employees and I always considered that a big "No-No" in management. Open up the opportunities to everyone. Not... one person who gets fed personal lines, one person who gets fed garage and professional Liability and one person who gets all the big accounts. Hardly a level playing field for the rest of them who have to turn over submissions to others and answer questions about why they don't have enough submissions. Don't expect giant numbers from new production people when you are limiting their contact with agents to agents who simply don't have any business then ask where the production is. The whole experience was the worst I've had in over 20 years in sales. You would go to these corporate events and get pumped up and excited about working for Brown & Brown but you come home to the office and it's not at all the same culture or feeling that brown and brown is going for. Horrible, passive-aggressive management. Every compliment is coupled with an insult. Expect way too much from people when they don't offer training to meet what their expectations are.

Brown & Brown Insurance2017-02-25
  8. "Brown & Brown"

Technical Assistant ­ Account Management in Portland, OR

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance for less than a year

Pros

The people are great, and the work is pretty easy.

Cons

Management positions are given away based on time spent at company rather than merit.

Advice to Management

N/a

Brown & Brown Insurance2016-06-12

"Horrible Management, Low Pay, Gossip Culture"

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time

Pros

Somewhat flex scheduling- can make up to 4 hours a week but must balance 40 hrs/week. Hard to get fired. It's a good place to get your license & some experience, but then move on to make more $ elsewhere.

Cons

B&B is a decentralized company with our own budget, etc., so things are strict with spending, when I really know that they are shipping off millions to Powell Brown & his joke of an executive management team in Florida. The president is OBLIVIOUS to anything going on in the office or just turns a blind eye. Time clock makes you feel like a factory worker. Sales people, especially young sales people are LAZY and... don't want to cold call. Horrible pay and rare wage increases. They offer incentive bonuses that you will rarely attain, and if you do it's barely enough to make you feel good about your "hard work". No praise for CSR's and all of the work they do for the sales people. The word "teammate" and "fellow cheetahs" will get annoying. No training- it's an ask and learn company. Insurance is an old mans business and you can really see that here, all of the older producers sit around gulping up their nice salaries- golfing & going on vacations. We say that everyone who loves B&B "drank the Koolaid". AVOID THIS COMPANY..

Advice to Management

Listen to my review and start treating your employees better. You need to pay better due to the increase in COL in Portland. Open your eyes to all of the lazy producers who don't actually do anything and are taking up our budget with their salaries. Create a worth while bonus structure. I might as well stop because you won't listen anyways.

Brown & Brown Insurance2016-05-06

"Sales"

Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance

Pros

Pay sales 1x month. 40% new, 20% renewal. No personal lines one accounts under 2500 commission

Cons

Small accounts as above do not get serviced, as sales personnel do not get paid on them CSA's have had no raises in 5 years

Advice to Management

The use of the word "Teammates" gets old

Brown & Brown Insurance2015-10-01