Brown & Brown Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Brown & Brown Insurance President & CEO J. Powell Brown
J. Powell Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work environment to work in" (in 16 reviews)

• "Brown & Brown has good benefits, a strong culture and a decentralized model that works for their many office across the country" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay compared to other brokers in the same industry" (in 15 reviews)

• "There is absolutely no training provided, learn as you go mentality" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Accounting Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Accounting Operations Manager

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

B&B works very hard to keep a culture of small family while they are a public company. Many places can't make that happen. Not a place you can come and slack off and just hide. Everyone contributes to the success of each office. Work hard and you are rewarded. Amazing benefits, great teammates, flexibility, advancement and a lot of fun.

Cons

Competitive sales environment and it is not for everyone.

2. "Brown and Brown of Tennessee"

Current Employee - Implementation and Compliance Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Implementation and Compliance Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our office culture, leadership and teammates create an amazing work environment.

Cons

To date, I have not experienced any cons.

3. "Commercial Lines Broker"

Pros

Flexible work hours, great office environment, great training procedures, positive company culture

Cons

Competitive industry, demanding, time sensitive

4. "Spirit of Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work is always rewarded here. Team environment throughout the office. The door is always open to be honest with management about concerns and personal & professional needs.

Cons

Sometimes positive change takes time and good teammates are lost because of it, but management always tries to act when necessary. Sometimes it's not on the teammates preferred timeline.

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefit package, and stock options

Cons

Budget restraints are way to slim. Not enough staff.

Advice to Management

More communication. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

6. "Large company always wanting to grow"

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

B&B is decentralized, meaning each profit center works autonomously giving them a lot of flexibility to maintain a local feel. The overarching culture focuses on merit and competition, professional growth.

Working in Daytona Beach Corporate office I feel I have a lot of opportunities for advancement if I prove myself. In my experience Management pushes people to develop and gives them opportunities if it is asked for. Pay is competitive for salary roles - but raises only keep up with inflation.

A new 10 million dollar corporate office will make a huge difference and shows they are committed to the industry, their employees and their community.

CEO is very charismatic and always looking to push the company forward.
    Opportunity to own stock in the company and it is always growing -creating a lot of wealth for me and my family.

Cons

The corporate office does not have a sense of camaraderie outside of each department. Little opportunity to network/mingle within the departments.

Senior leadership is all Caucasian with only one or two females. Ethnic and gender diversity within the organization is extremely lacking. Most of senior leadership went to UF and there is a sense of preference for people from that university.

The insurance industry as a whole is 10 years behind everyone else as far as technology and office processes go. Nearly everything done in Excel. They see doing otherwise as a risk (even though its 2018) when new software it could save them tons of time and money (they are taking initiative on this)

20% of people get 80% of the work done. the 20% Hogs work that people could use to prove themselves and is cause for burn out and overwork. .this is not a work/life balance culture if you are looking to move up the ranks.

There are not many perks to being in corporate other than a few corporate discounts and discount on insurance...

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of innovation.
    Diversify your leadership and workforce.
    Would love to see more fringe perks to make the workplace more inviting.
    Decentralized model has some snags, there are certain things that everyone needs to be on the same page on and have the same processes otherwise there are a lot of time and resources wasted (they are improving though).

"Good benefits--not worth the treatment of employees"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Portland, OR

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2 stars only because of the benefits.
    Decent amount of PTO to all employees. Paid closures (snow, power outages, etc). Office is NOT downtown. Free parking. Decent health insurance, although it went up a lot. Good 401k. GREAT ESPP program. Because of my role in Accounting, I also had a flex-schedule, which was the only reason I stayed as long as I did (2 years).

Cons

Management. All management from top down. Employees are treated like they're worthless. Degraded verbally. Blatent sexism, both in regard to treatment and pay wages. There was inappropriate behavior from one of the managers to female employees, and that's only the one I know about. There's been rumors of others. When problems were aired to management or HR, they were disregarded.
    Main point? Managers do not care at all about their employees.

Pay is way under the competitors. My role was 36% under the local average. When politely brought up in review, I was told that if I didn't like it, go work somewhere else.

High turnover in all departments. (Says a lot given the good company benefits.)

No growth opportunities. Heard this from many departments, not just my own.

If you have any integrity, self-worth, or career ambition, don't walk away from this company. Run.

Advice to Management

They've never listened before, why would they start now?
    This office is a lawsuit waiting to happen, both in treatment of employees and the complete lack of care over basic legal business practices.

8. "Insurance Agent"

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company sponsored training. Access to company resources and guidance from offices across the country.

Cons

No help with lead gen

"Account Managet"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are a local company in NY.

Cons

Unorganized, lack career growth opportunity, poor internal communication. Not a professional work environment and Himan Reaources is part of the problem.

Advice to Management

Better internal communication, advancement from interns to management. We are posting job descriptions and under utilizing employees. If we post a description we should have them fulfilling the requirements we have stated.

"National Powerhouse, Local Joke"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training program, benefits, select team members

Cons

Local leadership is a joke, constant backstabbing, hypocrisy, favoritism, work the service staff like mules, low pay, no room for advancement unless someone is fired or quits

Advice to Management

Hire a real sales leader and EVP and pay the service team members