Brown & Brown Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Brown & Brown Insurance President & CEO J. Powell Brown
J. Powell Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment, team oriented and benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Good atmosphere, good benefits, good management (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely NO training for either the Marketing Assistant or Account Manager positions (in 15 reviews)

• Low pay compared to other brokers in the same industry (in 11 reviews)

1. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly Environment. Cafeteria in building.
    Free workout classes.

Cons

Management focus on certain people.
    Micromanaging. Certain people think their priorities are more important than other in completing work

Advice to Management

Give people an actual chance.
    And don't ignore them.

2. "Commercial Insurance Account Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great enviroment to work in. Very decentralized office.

Cons

There is no training. Only if you ask for training.

"Good Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Multimedia Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Multimedia Developer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of resources. Informed staff. Professional. Highly focused on building successful businesses

Cons

Unconcerned with potential, outside of quarterly growth. Little concern with image, branding, or innovation.

Advice to Management

Take marketing and your image seriously. Pay your non management employees fair wages for the work and long hours. Care more about people and and doing good work rather than being mostly about profit. Also, the Cheetah isn't a great mascot. They're rather passive animals that only chase what's running from them. They're going extinct because they are so specialized and aren't adapting to their environment quickly enough.

4. "Been here too long"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Orange, CA

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are friendly. I like having health insurance. You can buy the company stock at a 15% discount but non management doesn't make enough to actually invest in that.

Cons

The pay is below average. My seat is far from the elevator.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Give raises every year. Let people transfer to other offices.

"Decentralized Company - Filter Reviews by Location!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuing education is a must for every position in the company and there is now an internal team providing robust training solutions in the form of Brown & Brown University. BBU currently has 2 schools (sales and service), but will add many more in the next 12 months (HR, finance, internal operations, acquisitions, IT, leadership, etc).

Management is very encouraging and treats us like professionals. Keep in mind, this is specific to my team/department. It's a decentralized company, so I can't speak for everyone. The management of my team is the number one reason that I'm happy in this position and would like to finish my career with this company. I wish everyone at B&B could say that.

PTO was just changed to DTO, so I now have more time available to me (was 2 weeks/year, now 5/year).

Cons

The decentralized nature can cause some confusion. Reading reviews on this company as a whole won't help you in your research. Filter by location to get a better picture of the office you'd be working in. Management is different in each and they set the tone.

The company as a whole isn't great at communication or branding/marketing. However, they now have a team working on that and I believe change will come quickly. The same goes for learning and development. The resources are there, but they aren't communicated well.

Bonuses are abundant, but they are taxed as gifts. Even a $100 gift card is taxed. My annual bonus was taxed at almost 40% last year. I don't know if that's typical or not. Frankly, I expected that most of my bonus would disappear into taxes. I just wish I would have negotiated better so my take home would be a bit higher. That's on me.

I was taken aback by how expensive the medical insurance is here. Luckily, I can get it through my spouse.

Advice to Management

It's apparent that some movement is being made to get the company into modern times. But frankly, you are moving too slow. Brown & Brown has the reputation of being "old school" and not in a good way. You see this as a testament of work ethic, but prospective teammates see it as behind the times in technology, security, marketing, employee development, etc. Brown & Brown doesn't look or feel like the successful company that it is. You can do better!

6. "Decentralization leaves everyone fending for themselves"

Current Employee - Associate Broker in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Broker in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee stock purchase plan is a great investment tool and other ancillary benefits are very competitive, and education is supported.

Cons

Extremely difficult to move upwards within the company. Each office and broker works independently and therefore the goals of the entire organization are not supported.

Advice to Management

Young professionals need a more direct route to production rather than work as an account manager until you are deemed "ready". Many opportunities are lost because associates are not used to their own capacity.

"Senior Software"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brown grows by aquirining companies and their employees. All employees which I worked with were let go within three years. I tried to hold on myself but didn't make it. Luckily I found a job that was a better fit within 3 weeks and I am happy there. I am grateful for the paychecks I got but I probably wasted time at Brown & Brown regarding my career.

Cons

Above average stress, division employees don't get raises, dysfunctional processes with no plan for an automation strategy as they rely on the carrier systems mostly.

Advice to Management

No advice. It's your company. Your making money so what if you step on a few toes? It was best for me to part because my stress level was not healthy working there. I am a better employee without that manufactured stress.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Vacation Plan and co-workers.

Cons

Salary too low. Also the fact that each office is run as an independent profit center means some are operated very cheaply to the point that you have to provide your own office supplies.

Advice to Management

Pay more for experienced people.

"...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

No pros for working here unless you want to be a slave to people who will never appreciate you. The younger you are, the more they take advantage of you. If you have an education, don't lower yourself by working here.

Cons

Unprofessional work environment. Get ready for favoritism. This fraternity environment is beyond ridiculous. Horrible hours for nothing. You're a slave to the company with a joke of a salary. No one knows what they're doing. Wouldn't recommend to anyone I care for.

Advice to Management

Learn to be more professional. You're an embarrassment.

"Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Maitland, FL

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A guaranteed paycheck every two weeks is about all they guarantee and having most holidays off are good. But can't really say anything else much more for pros

Cons

Don't work here unless you're prepared for a lot of favoritism and work not being evenly distributed because of it

Advice to Management

Treat people fair and pay them what they're worth!!