Brown and Caldwell Reviews | Glassdoor

Brown and Caldwell Reviews

Updated Sep 27, 2019

3.9
Brown and Caldwell CEO Rich D’Amato  (no image)
Rich D’Amato
Pros
  • "Very talented people in a supportive work environment(in 19 reviews)

• "In addition, BC is truly dedicated to establishing a great work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Top heavy, hire externally for senior level opportunties, benefits expensive(in 8 reviews)

• "Horrible Work life balance and flexibility was LOW(in 7 reviews)

"Annual raises, great ESOP, and strong career advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Staff Geologist in Boise, ID

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can get up to a 5% raise every year and mid-year raises are easy to get if you can make a good case. The Employee Stock Ownership plan is based on overall company performance and the biggest pro of working at BC is the fact it is employee owned (which is becoming exceeding rare in the industry). I have always felt appreciated for the work I do and my supervisor has been my biggest advocate. At BC you have the... freedom to pursue projects and positions that interest you. You are not put in a box and stuck doing the same things all the time; if you want to pursue other service lines you are encouraged to do so by management.

Cons

The health insurance is garbage. It is pretty much just catastrophe insurance as you will rarely meet your deductible and only in-network preventative care is covered before the deductible is met. Upper management has revoked the cell phone allowance because "everyone owns a cellphone already". By that reasoning I am sure it won't be long until all work vehicles are suspended because "everyone owns a vehicle... already". Work life balance can be difficult but ultimately it is manageable and it falls on the employee to dictate their working time and their worth.

Advice to Management

Pay for the cell phones of people who travel for work more than 30% of the time especially if they are field staff. Putting the risk on them for any damage to their personal devices while on company business is not ok. Ultimately though I am happy with the company and I plan on staying for the next 40 years.

Brown and Caldwell2019-09-28
  2. "Over all experience"

I worked at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Profitable stable company.. friendly co-workers

Cons

No growth options, benefits are costly, biased on Denver employees.

Brown and Caldwell2019-09-26
  3. "Stable and growing"

Current Employee - Director in Phila, PA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Long legacy of quality and stability. Flexible work environment. High collaboration across offices and business units. New leadership having positive impact as he company moves to stay private and employee-owned. Purpose driven organization. Private/industrial leadership and business becoming further integrated and respected in organization.

Cons

Still some old guard not interested in changing with the times. Inconsistent accountability. Most supervisors are technical and not motivated toward staff development.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Stay visible. Focus on purpose driven mission.....it works. Keep finding ways to leverage service lines, especially PSE and Muni and keep all silos at bay.

Brown and Caldwell2019-08-29
  4. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company culture; purpose driven; collaborative work environment

Cons

Lots of change; things feel a bit chaotic.

Brown and Caldwell2019-08-22

""Marketing" is a stretch."

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work location convenient to local highways. Relatively good pay.

Cons

Difficult working environment. I worked with 5 offices and each of them had people who would stab you in the back in a heartbeat to get ahead. Deadlines were difficult and often thrown off by senior leadership - yet marketers were the ones who got in trouble if the proposal schedule was changed.

Advice to Management

Management was unable to communicate exact expectations. They would say one thing, then chastise you for doing that exact thing. It was a difficult scenario to "win" or even be happy. Management needs to reevaluate what a marketer truly is - because your marketers are really glorified graphic designers/layout managers. Management needs to weed out the cancers who destroy morale. Top performers were beat... down until they were so scared they couldn't work.

Brown and Caldwell2019-08-27

Brown and Caldwell Response

August 29, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The key to our business is our commitment to not only our clients and environment, but to our employees. Because this is one of our core values, we're always looking for ways to enhance the employee journey. We strive to provide an environment where our team members feel they are valued, treated fairly and respected. We take all feedback provided under consideration, and want to thank you again for sharing your perspective.

"This is a great company, respectful of employees with a drive to grow"

Current Employee - Estimator in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, I like the people I work with, I'm almost always approved for growth tasks (attending a conference, joining professional organizations)

Cons

As with any consulting firm, probably, one must be consistently aware of how "billable" one is. That is, the ratio of hours that can be billed to a client to total hours (including overhead) are set as goals.

Advice to Management

This is less advice, more ideas: I'd love to have an annual budget for education/conference activity to replace getting approval each time. 10 holidays to replace 9. Choice-points to buy more stock in the company. Perhaps too much to ask: provide a sense of how many months the company would be willing to "carry" an individual who is suffering from a low billing ratio.

Brown and Caldwell2019-07-02
  7. "Great People, Fun Projects, Plenty of Oppurtunity"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Technically exciting projects to work on. - Very talented people in a supportive work environment - Senior leader who care about growing their people and business while maintaining employee-ownership

Cons

Company is undergoing change as its organization and business systems are accommodating a greater number of projects and people.

Brown and Caldwell2019-05-24

"Purpose Driven & Great Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than a year

Pros

The organization and employees are crystal clear on why BC exists - to make a difference in the world through clients, the environment, and employees. Purpose driven, employee-owned, market leader and innovator. Really amazing to be surrounded by such great people that truly care about the environment and our ability to make a positive impact.

Cons

Very few cons. Progress is being made at a face pace for this topic, but there is more opportunity to catch up with modern workplace elements such as virtual teams, collaboration tools, unlimited vacation, etc.

Advice to Management

Stay the path focusing on the organizational purpose, the employee's ability to make impact, and ensuring BC is a place where people can learn, grow, advance and enjoy coming to work.

Brown and Caldwell2019-05-13

"Great Company Overall"

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time

Pros

- Fair salaries - Employee owned is AWESOME! Profit sharing and stock grants are given to every employee every year - 4% 401k match is above industry standard - Emphasis on work/life balance. As in every company this doesn't hold true every week and it is hard with the growth we've been experiencing, but compared to other engineering companies we are light-years ahead - Ability to work remote for many roles

Cons

- Benefit costs are high - This industry is faced paced and demanding. If you're not prepared for this, it will be a challenging industry for you to be successful in

Brown and Caldwell2019-05-09

"The place to grow"

Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for growth and advancement, great culture, 100% environmental

Cons

No downside - BC seems to be top-notch compared to our competitors

Brown and Caldwell2019-05-09