Brown and Caldwell Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brown and Caldwell CEO Craig A. Goehring
Craig A. Goehring

Pros
Cons
  • The company is also top heavy, with too many managers, making the overhead multiplier around four or five (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance; see burnout comment (in 3 reviews)

1. "In a sea of public and unfocussed, BC stands out"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Employee Owned with no aspirations to go public. Willing to invest in those employees who are willing to invest in themselves. Still focused on long term client success and relationships while larger firms drift to just making a buck at all costs. Management is focused on long term health of the company rather than just enriching themselves.

Cons

It feels like we try to change too many things at once.

Advice to Management

Stay private. Stay focused on clients and your people.

"Really Enjoyed Working There Until Changing of the Guards"

Former Employee - Computer Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Brown and Caldwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back company, especially in the IT department. Co-workers willing to teach you things so you can have more tools in your belt when taking calls. My manager (before she got promoted) was one of the best I've worked for and with. She encouraged growth and wanted you to succeed.

Cons

Once my manager left, I knew it was time I left. The new manager ended up moving Help Desk to Tennessee, where he works. The culture of the help desk began to change with my manager's manager stepping in. I felt hindered more than helped by new management.

Advice to Management

Let the good employees do their job and focus more on the bad employees.

"Not the best, not the worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

somewhat flexible hours, okay benefits, some people are great..others not so much.

Cons

salary is way under market, some arrogant senior staff and culture, lack of opportunity

Advice to Management

start paying your staff more. give them resources they need to be successful. Being willing to invest in your employees.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, lot of team spirit, diverse work force with many women engineers and scientists. You really feel like you are part of a team. The virtual company, where all offices nationwide are integrated, is a wonderful plus here.

Cons

Can be s little too team-y at times. There's a fair amount of pressure on younger employees to be part of the "pack" and do social stuff together.
    Benefits aren't great compared to dine larger competitors.

Advice to Management

None really. I need to put down twenty words in this field so I'm going to keep typing until I'm there. Amd done.

"Administration"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Flexible work arrangements.

Cons

Will make layoffs and unexpectedly cut staff to reduce overhead when numbers are not favorable. Hard working people with families to support unexpectedly lose jobs because leaders are not paying attention to the business.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in staffing and revenue numbers so we do not have to do reductions and cut jobs to make our numbers work.

"Used to be better to work for..."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great employees, pretty flat structure, good projects, and easy to get engaged with other geographic parts of the company. A good company to be an engineer, especially for waste water.

Cons

BC has changed a lot over the past 5 years, probably not for the better. Has become very process oriented, less people oriented. We have split ourselves up into a lot of different pieces, with the pieces not working together that well. We have struggled to grow.

Advice to Management

Get better at making the change effective before jumping into more change. Do a better job of editing and culling your ideas - doing a few things well would be more beneficial than doing a lot of mediocre things

8. "Great group of people"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time

Pros

BC is a leader in Civil/Environmental Engineering field and is highly respected throughout the industry. Good benefits, great people and employee owned!

Cons

This is only my second job in the industry but BC is not a huge corporation (Tetra Tech, URS, etc.) so they don't have as many people to fill gaps in contracts. This could be a pro as well depending on your situation and how you look at it.

Advice to Management

Give everyone a raise!

"Wow, must be handing out "wows" to pull up review ratings. There goes the authenticity of this site."

Former Employee - Engineer II in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

The work is challenging and the company is structured to burn people out so you do get some good experience. The billable engineers are really treated poorly and are taken advantage of. You will witness this by working alongside colleagues who bust their behinds to get 50 cent raises. Notice all the overhead, and you will realize why they want people "stuck". Greatest career advancement came after leaving BC, aka "burning cr*pwell".

Cons

Work life balance; see burnout comment. A really egocentric clique scene that is equivalent to schoolyard silliness. Management will try hard to make you drink the cool-aide, they will appease you with their cool lingo. Don't buy it. If you're a young engineer, advice is to keep your stay to a minimum and use them like they use you. There is no loyalty. It's not how well you do, it's how well you brown nose. Best advice to those considering working there. Find an ex employee on LinkedIn. There are many of them!!! (:

Advice to Management

Retire and go to church. Find your soul.

"Great people to work with, management not connected to the rest of the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible working conditions, great people to work with, immediate supervisors very supportive

Cons

too many reorgs of the company, wrong people making critical decisions about personal professional growth, not much opportunity to move up

"working at Brown and Caldwell"

Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

friendly and open atmosphere
    good collaboration
    not to bureaucratic

Cons

limited career path for non-technical people