Bruntwood Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Oglesby

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Bruntwood part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work with great people. Close links to our communities and a real sense of purpose and ownership.

Cons

Very fast paced which can sometimes mean we move on to the next initiative before we have really finished the last one. All part of the entrepreneurial feel of the business though so not a big problem.

2. "Amazing place to work!"

I have been working at Bruntwood full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture, tons of development opportunitites if you want exposure to new areas, people who genuinely care about vision and mission of the company, executive leaders who want Bruntwood to be embedded in the communities it operates in. Relatively flat structure which means that everyone has the opportunity to work on exciting projects regardless of experience, as long as they have the passion and enthusiasm. Relaxed office environment - dress for your day policy, free healthy breakfast, book clubs, hot desking etc.

Cons

Hardly any cons, but if I had to pick something - systems and communication could be better to encourage proper collaboration between departments and regions.

Advice to Management

Continue to be passionate and people focused and the business will carry on growing from strength to strength.

3. "Breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Surveyor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Surveyor in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Bruntwood (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely people with common goals, highly interesting industry, massively behind employee well-being with healthy eating, yoga clubs, running clubs, pleasant office space, great culture which attracts great customers which generally means 90% of time you're dealing with nice/interesting people.

Cons

That I didn't join sooner. Other than that the only thing I'd prefer would be everybody under one roof in Manchester as opposed to the York House/Trafford House split - but hardly an issue.

Advice to Management

From what I've seen management operate a flat structure so it's easy to feel more comfortable when talking to your seniors, which I think is really important. Advice is to continue being approachable.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Bruntwood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the culture, the opportunity to work from different buildings so no two days are ever the same, the charity work that permeates the company. I love it.

Cons

If I had to pick a downside I can only say that sometimes there could be greater communication between departments.

Advice to Management

This is the best company I've ever worked for so good work!

5. "Not the real deal"

I worked at Bruntwood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On the surface its all very nice, free fruit, charity donations, nice office space, fair pay, good benefits.

Cons

Once the novelty wears off a culture of real unfairness is unleashed and its difficult to fit in if your face does not fit. Its abit like social media, there is a click and if you are not in it you get blocked.They do not live by their company values as they profess to do. Some get away with doing no work at all, whilst others work really hard and get reprimanded for not doing enough.

Advice to Management

wake up

6. "All about the values..."

I have been working at Bruntwood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bruntwood is a family run company that lives and works by its values. The company is growing from strength to strength and doing its bit for the local communities. The charity work within the company is fantastic and gives the opportunity for everyone to get involved in order to make a difference.

Cons

Communication and processes can be a challenge but the steps are in place to make the necessary improvements.

7. "Steer Clear"

Former Employee - Front of House Coordinator in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front of House Coordinator in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Bruntwood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varied Work
    Friendly Teams
    Nice properties
    Good salary
    Good benefits.

Cons

Too many chefs - Bruntwood have a manager for just about everything. I myself was accountable to 3 different people whilst there. There are huge egos everywhere and self important micro-managers. The induction process and communications between departments is poor and disjointed.

Advice to Management

Simplify you management structure and allow more autonomy.

Bruntwood Response

May 22, 2017 – Head of Digital

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience while working at Bruntwood. We have recently launched a new induction process so hopefully, others won't have the same experience that you did. In ... More

8. "A step away from perfect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Pros

Bruntwood is filled with friendly employees, provides lots of opportunities to move around the business. They are innovative, creative and strive to help the community around them.

They had me sold at Yogurt Wednesdays!

Cons

Its a growing business and there are times of bad communication between departments. Its difficult to know who to contact when you need something.

9. "HRBP"

I have been working at Bruntwood full-time

Pros

Family owner and values driven business
    Ethical & Innovative
    Amazing leadership
    Amazing working environments
    Amazing opportunities to have a positive impact on your cities
    Amazingly driven colleagues

Cons

Lots of travel but the sites are amazing
    Not found anything as yet - love it

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Great team, everyone is very welcoming and supports each other. Huge variety of work to get involved in and some really interesting projects such as the new developments in Manchester city centre. Bruntwood promotes a good work/life balance and encourages employees to get active and involved in the community. The work environment is really flexible with lots of different places to work (hot desks, quiet rooms, break out areas) so you have the freedom to select the place that's best suited to the task.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a challenge to know who the right person to speak to about a particular project is due to the size of the company and people often being out and about but everyone is really helpful and will point you in the right direction.