Bryan Research & Engineering College Station Reviews

Jerry Bullin

"An enjoyable workplace"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Bryan Research & Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture created by the rest of my employees is both exciting and motivating. Our team's goal of helping our clients and fellow employees is always shown through the work and dedication that I see day to day. The variety of projects that I have my feet in keeps each of my work days interesting. There is also a much appreciated "open-door" policy with the employees, so if I need to reach out for help, I am comfortable knowing there is someone who has time to do so. Our company is growing, both in our headquarters office and in new offices soon to be built in the Czech Republic and Singapore. I look forward to our success in the years to come.

Cons

Monthly or quarterly social events outside of the office where the whole company participates would be nice. I would like to get to know more of the ~60 employees outside of the office.

"Don’t be fooled"

Current Employee - Engineer in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Bryan Research & Engineering full-time

Pros

New management believes in taking a structured approach. Low stress work with little supervision. Support staff work on models and helps clients, sales staff is judged based on number of phone calls per week. So make 50 calls and you are a super star.

Cons

Don’t be fooled by the 5 star reviews. The owner (“Jerry”) told other senior staff to write reviews to help the image. There is a reason turnover is close to 40% of consulting engineering stafff. Low pay, little vacation, little room to grow, and terrible benefits. Do yourself a favor (especially current staff), find work elsewhere.

Continue reading

3. "A great place for a career"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Bryan Research & Engineering full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like the people that I work with. There is a great variety of engineering problems on which to work, both theoretical and practical. It is not the same thing every day. Very flexible regarding what area you work on. Great size where you know everyone, and can make big contributions. There is a strong sense of customer service. Compensation is good. Advanced degrees are appreciated. Good sized town. Reasonable growth protects company from wild energy business cycles.

Cons

More vacation time would be preferred. B/CS not the best for outdoor recreation. Like all small companies, health insurance costs go up faster than average.

"Avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bryan, TX

Pros

They have a loyal customer base and there isn't a lot of pressure to perform. You get to make day (6am-7pm) trips back and forth between Houston anywhere between 3-6 days per month.

Cons

Terrible software development practices. No real software engineering practices have been implemented. If you are a software engineer, or want to be a software engineer, this is not the place to work. No automated testing or code reviews. Releases are built manually (and take an entire day). Entire platform was built without knowledge of a single accepted design pattern. This product has been in development for 30 years and has zero encapsulation. Change "someone else's code" and depending on the original author, the commit will be reverted. This is a software engineer's worst nightmare. The CEO made a big deal about never losing an employee due to salary, but I'm leaving for company that pays more with better benefits. Don't sell yourself short and accept a job here. You won't be able to move past their technical debt, and your skills will deteriorate while picking up bad habits. The sales/support team definitely run the show here. The real product is support and the software is just an afterthought. PS: Read between the lines, and you can even tell the actual text of the positive reviews here don't match the star rating.

"Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Bryan Research & Engineering full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great place for a new graduate to learn about natural gas processing.

Cons

Their software product is poorly designed and results in very long release cycles. Sales and development staff do not get along.

Continue reading

"Great work, great environment"

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Bryan Research & Engineering full-time

Pros

Day-to-day work covers nearly all topics included as part of a standard chemical engineering education, which naturally generates a great deal of variety from one week to the next. Skills developed translate well to process engineering in general. Compensation may start a little below industry average but rises quickly with performance. The work environment is very friendly, the work/life balance great (40-45 hours per week). The location (Bryan/College Station, TX--about 170,000 people) has plenty of urban options but without urban headaches like traffic. Occasional opportunities arise for national and international travel.

Cons

Vacation starts at about the engineering industry minimum (10 days) and increases very little over time. The company contribution to the health care plan is limited to the employee, so family plans can be expensive.

7. "With little opportunity to advance internally, BR&E provides imense opportunity to develop as an engineer."

in Bryan, TX

I have been working at Bryan Research & Engineering

Pros

Pay is good for consulting engineers, lots of opportunity to learn and interact with engineers all over the world, location

Cons

Low retention rate, health care plan is very weak, very little vacation

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.