Bryan University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Chad Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Don't let one of the Best places to work in AZ title fool you!"

Former Employee - Student Success Coach in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Student Success Coach in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with, close to the light rail ,asu , downtown,and airport. They have a gym. Good pto time( time accrues) .They do have a 401k. If you are into beginning healthy they do have a buff committee, and try to have events , spirit weeks and other things to maintain the morale . Bryan use to pay well , but that is about to change due to the "new accreditation".

Cons

They change procedures to damn much. They only thing they haven't changed is the name of the university.They don't believe in trial and error. You have to let things run its course for a while to know if it works.Also there is politics involved. If they like you or if you are close to certain group of people your job is secured. If they don't need you anymore they will find a way to get rid of you. Admissions is safe , if you are performing well. You have no worries. They are doing layoff right now due to the "new accreditation" and "low enrollments"Be careful.

Advice to Management

Never lay-off someone after a All hands meeting and if you want to make a change look at leadership first before blaming the low-end employers.

"Don't let the perks cloud your judgement"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with some pretty incredible people. Most (not all) of my co-workers were great people. The people you work with are great to interact with socially. The pay is good. The hours are good.

Cons

High-pressure sales tactics that will make you question your morals and ethics. You will be asked to manipulate and twist reality for an enrollment. You are expected to enroll students despite it not being in their best interest all for "keeping numbers up." Management will hound you like a rabid animal. Trust me when I tell you this is a Business, not an Educational system. They care about money and numbers, not students. I left voluntarily with no infractions on my record due to the inability to bring myself to manipulate people to do something that would do more harm than good. While the programs are right for some students, they are not a good fit for all, but don't tell your management that because they will tell you that you aren't in the right "mind-set." You will be told that you are doing great, but it still isn't good enough. You are set up to fail because no matter how well you do they will find something that you aren't doing good enough. Most of your leads (or students inquiring) have trouble understanding basic questions, knowing basic vocabulary words, and some you even enroll can't write a complete sentence properly, yet you are expected to enroll them in college level courses. Essentially, you are robbing people that are not smart enough to know better, making money for the owners, and putting these people in a no win financial situation. Check accreditation!!! Most of their programs will not transfer to other Universitities and this causes students to have a lot of student loan debt without the benefits of furthering their education on the Master-level. Essentially, they will most likely have to start from step 1 with a new degree at another institution if they seek graduate level education (and some do seek that).

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adults (popsicles and candy doesn't count).
    Trust your employees to do their job (they went to Regionally accredited colleges and have extensive experience and are capable of doing good work).
    Back off (It's hard to work when you are on the phone and your management stands over their should asking them what status they're in or telling them they need more numbers).
    Realize that the people that work for you talk to some people in really unfortunate situations and if we feel it is not a good fit, it probably isn't.
    Realize that the reason you can enroll, but can't get them to stay in the program and graduate is because you "pressured" these students to enroll, not because they genuinely wanted it.

"Admissions Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people working there, decent benefits, fair PTO

Cons

Pressure pressure pressure, petty and unethical management, unrealistic enrollment goals, terrible training. Their policy is basically, if a student can breathe, enroll them, and then they take every opportunity to nail you when incapable students fail or don't start classes. The enrollment process is tedious, outdated and extremely lengthy. There is no relationship or communication between departments. Employees with seniority and who are buddies with management are favored and have access to leads the rest of us don't. This is a super high pressure sales environment with no incentives, not even awards ceremonies or a pat on the back. Your job is constantly held over your head. Very unhealthy environment.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Bring in people who actually have proven track records and know how to lead people, not just pad the books. Implement an actual training process and hire someone qualified to follow it.

"Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for employment..."

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay - 50k
    Free food once a quarter.
    Decent benefits

Cons

Let me start by saying that if your an ethical and moral person, look elsewhere. This was one of the worst jobs I've ever had. The management at Bryan does not give you a fair shot at succeeding. Once they have you in their sites, then you better immediately begin looking for a new job . Management plays favoritism and if your not one of their favorites, you won't last long. The style of management at Bryan is fear mongering, always holding your job over your head. All they care about is enrollments. You will frequently come across prospective students that you know deep in your heart do not belong in school. You also know inside that they will rack up more debt and put themselves in a worse situation than before. Well sorry folks... that doesn't matter, your expected to recruit and enroll at all costs.

The finance department will be sure to take away any students you work so diligently to recruit. They are rude and will not lift a finger to help you in anyway. If they run into a tough situation, they will basically just find a way to make it nearly impossible for your students to attend.

Overall, you may be attracted to the pay and benefits but if you want to keep your sanity and you don't want to fear how you will pay your bills once you lose your job, look elsewhere for employment. Also, I can assure that if your an ethical person, you will regularly go home with a guilty conscience.

Advice to Management

- Stop holding employees jobs over their head.
    - Stop playing favoritism.
    - Popsicle parties and longer shifts are NOT employee incentives!
    - Have some care and compassion and stop pushing employees to recruit students that are totally and completely unfit for school.
    - Don't place new employees with (mentors) that are bipolar antisocial psychopaths.

5. "BU"

I have been working at Bryan University full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic

Cons

It is a matter of perspective

"For Profit, and Not For Employees or Students"

Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Bryan University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission statement centers on the idea to unlock greatness, and this is something that we believed in and committed to as employees. We thought we were working in a school that would innovate the student experience and provides a creative learning environment for students.

Cons

The is a great place to get university teaching experience but avoid this as a career. The number of adjunct faculty is growing as the number of full-time declines. Student loads are increasing for faculty members and there is less time to spend on curriculum development and outreach. I have known faculty who receive praise and great review one week and are laid off the following week because the university had a bad quarter. The commitment is to profit and not education.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, like in the Speed of Truth book that we are required to read. Show that you value education and not profit by committing to reasonable course loads for faculty and hiring full time instructors.

7. "Great people own the company"

Pros

Full Gym, Family atmosphere, pay well, Privately Owned. Beautiful campus, and centrally located for easy accessibility.CFO/CEO are very cool and down to earth guys.

Cons

I want to keep this review positive so I decline to comment.

Advice to Management

Develop a standard training program to benefit your company as well as employees. . Developing a standardized training program will help all departments understand how they need to communicate, so they understand how their departmental duties work for the overall campus.

"Still learning the basics while trying to produce the extraordinary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of free food, activities, and a "family" atmosphere, managers are laxed [if they like you] and easy to work with, decent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Lack of direction, lack of follow through on little items, not understanding little things such as having the company name on the caller ID make a huge difference when cold calling students- 877 toll free as a CID will not get enrollments if the person is ducking bill collectors.

The company will enroll any student despite the course catalog having explicit requirements. Students with no computer, no idea how to use a computer, or even compose then write a two line email, instead of referring them to obtain those skills and come back. Student's end up with a giant bill for courses that they are taking longer than needed to finish due to lack of preparation. It's not the schools fault that they do not have these skills, but when you do a "technology readiness" test with a person and tell them they passed, they assume they know all they need, not that their speed test passed and that's good enough for Bryan.

The company does not provide fixed 401K/ IRA accounts, no tuition reimbursement, no employee discounts (which is sad cause they are thrown to education providers like rice on a wedding day!). For years I presented this information and was curbed each time. The number one issue is crappy computers so the solution was to provide them with enrollment- why did it take 6 years to implement? 6 years of nagging for something every other school has in place!

The company does not conduct background checks, pre-employment screening or testing which is NOT a good practice when dealing with ID cards, SSN's, and other sensitive information. HR has lost employee files more times than I care to mention and as a result everyone had to reapply for their jobs each year for 3 years (2011-2014).

The company is not consistent with educational requirements of staff. Those is positions requiring master's and higher have bachelors. Those in positions requiring associate's do not have them. Managers in certain departments have 0 experience in the department and no related education, yet the company thinks they are the best candidates for the job. There are no continuing educational credit requirements, which is scary since they are required for departments outside of education.

The company has no quality assurance standards, but will have employees stalk your social media to report anything they do not agree with as being "hostile working environment" as a way to muddy employee records, but when you report ACTUAL incidents of hostility, the company does nothing (such as two employees on two different occasions attempted physical assault and being told to "adjust my management style". My question: When is it acceptable to be punched by an employee for asking if they are having an issue preventing them from addressing their share of the workload?

As I mentioned this is a "family" environment meaning everyone is in your business. Sticking to yourself and avoiding the drama only puts you in more of the cross-hairs. It makes it uncomfortable to go to work to work, it's a giant clique of a company. But if you fit into the clique then it's the most wonderful, awesome place to work with plenty of busses to throw your fellow co-workers under if you mess up.

Advice to Management

Define your roles, create QA guidelines, deflate your ego- you have seasoned employees that can make your company great if you actually listen and quit cutting off every sentence. Quit depressing the happy employees. Just cause someone is smiling does not mean you have to waltz into their office and make up stories that people are complaining about them, when meeting with HR, please have them remain professional. My last two out of three meets HR yelled at me like a parent would a child. I'm sorry but last time I checked I was a minor in the 90s, not 2016. HR intimidation tactics, your lack or direction, and constant "monitoring of my personal life" are not worth your employ. You lost a valuable employee because of lack of direction, slow implementations, and out right lies. I want nothing more to do with your company and wish it did not take such a large chunk of my employment history so I could pretended I was never affiliated!

9. "Great place for young professionals without outside obligations (ex: family)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Benefits (health/401k/etc.)
    - clean high tech environment
    - upbeat atmosphere

Cons

- Not family friendly (minimal cross training or coverage for family emergencies) and not very understanding of family needs outside of the job. Seem to disregard the importance of work/life balance.
    - Employees are "encouraged" to work overtime off the clock to get ahead. Seen as a "commitment to your career". Not widely said but promotions are widely seen due to this.
    - Conflicting rules/favoritism. Lots of cliques and if you're on the outside don't plan to stay long. One manager will allow something only to get in trouble by a different manager.
    - no official training program
    - pay is far below average for similar skill sets.
    - extremely strict dress code. Expect business professional even in the heat of summer.
    - managers spend a great deal of time in their offices and rely solely on gossip to manage. Are very disconnected from their employees. So if someone doesn't like you for any reason expect management to start coming down on you to keep their "favorites" happy.
    - Extremely high turn over in most positions except management.

Advice to Management

Get more hands on with your employees. Coach, train, inspire. Stand up for them and don't throw them under the bus to make yourself look better. Adapt to the changing work field and the type of employees it attracts. Value employees who have been with the company for years on end. High turn over is never an attractive quality in a company.

10. "What a Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Bryan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could list them all but I am sure I will forget some! The people are great. These are literally the nicest people I have ever met. The compensation is very fair, the company contribution toward health benefits is one of the best I have seen. Generous amount of paid time off. Leadership in this organization is very transparent and their doors are literally always open. I think it is wonderful how much emphasis the company and it's staff/faculty place on helping the students achieve success. There are lots of fun events and contests going on, several per month on top of a great wellness program. You can even buy discounted movie tickets. The company takes excellent care of their employees and ensures that the people working here feel valued and appreciated.

Cons

I really have not experienced any cons of working here. The leadership takes initiative to listen to any concerns brought up by staff and address any problems immediately. There is a very active approach here for creating and maintaining a healthy and happy work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It is really no surprise that this company was named one of the Top Companies to work for in Arizona!