Bryan University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chad Evans

1. "Will Summon Your Greatness"

Current Employee - Staff in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Bryan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my many years working in AZ, I've rarely been a part of such a nurturing workplace. I've been stretched in my position yet supported and encouraged to try new things.
    Bryan has it all: 401K with match, lots of PTO, great medical benefits, tons of wellness programs, fun activities every month, free college degrees, and a gorgeous building with free parking near Tempe Town Lake just off the Light Rail. Most of all, management that is approachable and truly transparent. I'm lucky to be here.

Cons

Below market pay for my position, no tuition reimbursement for outside degrees, open office floorplan that's inadequate.

Advice to Management

Please continue to innovate and take the lead in eliciting greatness from your people and students. And please consider offering tuition reimbursement for outside degrees.

2. "Great people own the company"

Pros

Full Gym, Family atmosphere, pay well, Privately Owned. Beautiful campus, and centrally located for easy accessibility.CFO/CEO are very cool and down to earth guys.

Cons

I want to keep this review positive so I decline to comment.

Advice to Management

Develop a standard training program to benefit your company as well as employees. . Developing a standardized training program will help all departments understand how they need to communicate, so they understand how their departmental duties work for the overall campus.

"Still learning the basics while trying to produce the extraordinary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of free food, activities, and a "family" atmosphere, managers are laxed [if they like you] and easy to work with, decent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Lack of direction, lack of follow through on little items, not understanding little things such as having the company name on the caller ID make a huge difference when cold calling students- 877 toll free as a CID will not get enrollments if the person is ducking bill collectors.

The company will enroll any student despite the course catalog having explicit requirements. Students with no computer, no idea how to use a computer, or even compose then write a two line email, instead of referring them to obtain those skills and come back. Student's end up with a giant bill for courses that they are taking longer than needed to finish due to lack of preparation. It's not the schools fault that they do not have these skills, but when you do a "technology readiness" test with a person and tell them they passed, they assume they know all they need, not that their speed test passed and that's good enough for Bryan.

The company does not provide fixed 401K/ IRA accounts, no tuition reimbursement, no employee discounts (which is sad cause they are thrown to education providers like rice on a wedding day!). For years I presented this information and was curbed each time. The number one issue is crappy computers so the solution was to provide them with enrollment- why did it take 6 years to implement? 6 years of nagging for something every other school has in place!

The company does not conduct background checks, pre-employment screening or testing which is NOT a good practice when dealing with ID cards, SSN's, and other sensitive information. HR has lost employee files more times than I care to mention and as a result everyone had to reapply for their jobs each year for 3 years (2011-2014).

The company is not consistent with educational requirements of staff. Those is positions requiring master's and higher have bachelors. Those in positions requiring associate's do not have them. Managers in certain departments have 0 experience in the department and no related education, yet the company thinks they are the best candidates for the job. There are no continuing educational credit requirements, which is scary since they are required for departments outside of education.

The company has no quality assurance standards, but will have employees stalk your social media to report anything they do not agree with as being "hostile working environment" as a way to muddy employee records, but when you report ACTUAL incidents of hostility, the company does nothing (such as two employees on two different occasions attempted physical assault and being told to "adjust my management style". My question: When is it acceptable to be punched by an employee for asking if they are having an issue preventing them from addressing their share of the workload?

As I mentioned this is a "family" environment meaning everyone is in your business. Sticking to yourself and avoiding the drama only puts you in more of the cross-hairs. It makes it uncomfortable to go to work to work, it's a giant clique of a company. But if you fit into the clique then it's the most wonderful, awesome place to work with plenty of busses to throw your fellow co-workers under if you mess up.

Advice to Management

Define your roles, create QA guidelines, deflate your ego- you have seasoned employees that can make your company great if you actually listen and quit cutting off every sentence. Quit depressing the happy employees. Just cause someone is smiling does not mean you have to waltz into their office and make up stories that people are complaining about them, when meeting with HR, please have them remain professional. My last two out of three meets HR yelled at me like a parent would a child. I'm sorry but last time I checked I was a minor in the 90s, not 2016. HR intimidation tactics, your lack or direction, and constant "monitoring of my personal life" are not worth your employ. You lost a valuable employee because of lack of direction, slow implementations, and out right lies. I want nothing more to do with your company and wish it did not take such a large chunk of my employment history so I could pretended I was never affiliated!

5. "Great place for young professionals without outside obligations (ex: family)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Benefits (health/401k/etc.)
    - clean high tech environment
    - upbeat atmosphere

Cons

- Not family friendly (minimal cross training or coverage for family emergencies) and not very understanding of family needs outside of the job. Seem to disregard the importance of work/life balance.
    - Employees are "encouraged" to work overtime off the clock to get ahead. Seen as a "commitment to your career". Not widely said but promotions are widely seen due to this.
    - Conflicting rules/favoritism. Lots of cliques and if you're on the outside don't plan to stay long. One manager will allow something only to get in trouble by a different manager.
    - no official training program
    - pay is far below average for similar skill sets.
    - extremely strict dress code. Expect business professional even in the heat of summer.
    - managers spend a great deal of time in their offices and rely solely on gossip to manage. Are very disconnected from their employees. So if someone doesn't like you for any reason expect management to start coming down on you to keep their "favorites" happy.
    - Extremely high turn over in most positions except management.

Advice to Management

Get more hands on with your employees. Coach, train, inspire. Stand up for them and don't throw them under the bus to make yourself look better. Adapt to the changing work field and the type of employees it attracts. Value employees who have been with the company for years on end. High turn over is never an attractive quality in a company.

6. "What a Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Bryan University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could list them all but I am sure I will forget some! The people are great. These are literally the nicest people I have ever met. The compensation is very fair, the company contribution toward health benefits is one of the best I have seen. Generous amount of paid time off. Leadership in this organization is very transparent and their doors are literally always open. I think it is wonderful how much emphasis the company and it's staff/faculty place on helping the students achieve success. There are lots of fun events and contests going on, several per month on top of a great wellness program. You can even buy discounted movie tickets. The company takes excellent care of their employees and ensures that the people working here feel valued and appreciated.

Cons

I really have not experienced any cons of working here. The leadership takes initiative to listen to any concerns brought up by staff and address any problems immediately. There is a very active approach here for creating and maintaining a healthy and happy work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It is really no surprise that this company was named one of the Top Companies to work for in Arizona!

7. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Sales - Enrollment in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales - Enrollment in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Some of the best people I've worked with. You'll need to make friends in the trenches of this job for a support network. I had a great group of co-workers who became good friends.

Cons

Future employee. The enrollment leadership team treat employees very poor. Often times they will pull you into their office and scold you and make you feel like you are worthless. Its a leadership team that try's to motivate people by holding your job over your head. In the year I was there is was not uncommon for new hires to just disappear after a few weeks or months. People just stop showing up to work because the work environment is that bad. People are being fired left and right. This was by far one of the worst places I worked. Lots of pressure to push people through the enrollment process and to get people through financial aid even if the school is not the best fit. Hard to get PTO approved around the holidays. If you take a week off you will be way behind in your numbers and will get written up for non performance. This place is a good example of why for profit education is getting a bad name.

Advice to Management

It does not motivate employees to pull them into your office and berate and yell at them. Treat your employees with respect and their performance just may surprise you.

8. "Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Bryan University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay check. Depending on your department this company or (for profit career school) can be a 5 star experience or a 1 star. If I worked in any department other than Admissions or (sales) I would give it a 5.

Cons

A few words to describe it. Autodialer, call center, micro management, quotas with no commission. A hire to fire revolving door culture of churn them and burn them. You will be selling $30k Associate degrees and $45k BA programs. Because it's a school you will not get bonuses. Your bosses will. Only incentive to perform is you will not get fired. People with 3 years or more on the sales admissions team are considered tenured. Turn over is very high.

Advice to Management

Would matter. They don't listen. You are told to "stick to the process"

9. "Great Company."

I worked at Bryan University full-time

Pros

Not so many layers of management between CEO and front line grunts

Cons

not so many layers of managment means not as many advancement opportiunities

Advice to Management

Keep swinging

10. "Bryan University: pros and cons of employment"

Former Employee - Highly Effective Rated Instructor in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Highly Effective Rated Instructor in Studio City, CA

I worked at Bryan University (More than a year)

Pros

Steady income and good benefits package.

Cons

Employment became unstable for employees not living in Arizona. Company went to layoffs of California employees. On-site management implied the belief that online employees were not working to their full capacity.

Advice to Management

Develop a tracking system for accountability of online employees to reduce implications of lack of productivity.

11. "Teach and mentor paralegal students"

Current Employee - Faculty in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Faculty in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Bryan University (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours , students , good environment , relaxed , conducive to sharing new ideas , little micromanagement

Cons

Lack of consistent communication between faculty and admin, no bonuses , unequal pay between genders

Advice to Management

Keep your faculty in the loop