Buchanan & Edwards Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis Kelly

1. "Genuinely love coming into work everyday."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a full time employee so I can't speak to those on contract, but I've been here for 6 months and I couldn't be happier. My roles are constantly growing and I've had zero micro-managing the entire time. I'm treated like an adult here. I'm working on multiple projects and my boss trusts me to take care of my work on a daily basis without constantly reaching out to me for updates. As long as I am getting my work done I basically make my own schedule. Everyone is genuinely kind and my favorite part about working here is there is zero drama around the office. Any sort of issue is hashed out professionally- from what I can see. I love working here! Plus great benefits.

Cons

Can't think of many. My position is a little under paid compared to the industry average, however my work life balance is outstanding so this makes up for it for me.

Advice to Management

BE has brought in new management recently that have all been outstanding to work with!

2. "Change in leadership - beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (PTO and other perks)

Cons

New CEO - company is going into different direction and does not show any type of care or support to current employees
    Constant change in leadership and executive levels.
    High attrition
    No new contracts awarded
    Funding cuts on current contracts
    Lack of career growth
    No job stability

Advice to Management

Where are the owners? Please listen to your employees who have been there with you for the past 5-6 years and have gone through 3 different CEO.

"Unpleasant and underhanded"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Management is changing and culture worsens by the day. They are trying to grow the company but there is nothing holding the employees together. They are blind to everything that could bring them growth and technologically about 5 years behind the times.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have a golden parachute and pull the ripcord early.

"Experiencing growth pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the past five years, the company has almost tripled, so they have been growing. Good benefits, family oriented, tries hard to make the employee a welcome part of the family, unless you are a project manager. Historically, had good opportunities to be involved with other projects or Business Development work if you show an interest.

Cons

Expects project managers to also be billable, not compensated for time over 40 hours per week, lack of continuity and poor explanation of processes and desired outcomes. Employees have to be fairly self sufficient to address the weaknesses of employee training and support. Although they offer good training benefits, they have no ready pool of "recommended" training vendors, and no clear development path or plan at the corporate level for employees.

I have worked for BE for over 5 years, and in that time I have had 8 Program Managers, there have been 4 HR directors, and 3 CEOs. Very few sr. people in the company, including senior management, have worked there more than 5 years.

When I started, there was an air of excitement, there were always new projects and technologies that were being investigated, and people were welcomed to participate, and encouraged to bring up new ideas. That has changed. As the company has grown it has become more compartmentalized, with the different business units acting almost like independent companies under the same roof. The company is definitely transitioning from one that had the feel of a vibrant consultancy, to one that has the feel of just another contractor. There is a much greater feeling of separation between Sr. management and the on site staff than had existed previously. The director of my business unit is too hands off with the lower level employees, and has appeared disinterested until recently.

Advice to Management

Better communication between your business groups, and get the message down to the Project managers and lower. Each Business Director should have an awareness of the other units.

Make a concerted effort to schedule team events within the Program/project level.

Be more visible to the client, don't depend just upon the project manager.

Higher management should show that they are also participating in the brown bags, and other initiatives. Be more visible among the contract staff.

Find a culture to embrace, and live it. It is unclear what the culture is from the actions of the management.

Stop having Project Managers who are doing both Billable and PM work, it makes them weaker at both. If you need to, group smaller projects together under one PM so the PM can do just that.

"meh... they talk a good game but have no follow through."

Current Employee - Sharepoint Solution Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sharepoint Solution Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A competitive wage. Decent benefits, and good vacation. As far as body shops go, they pay fairly well, as long as they have your contract.

Cons

No retention strategy. Employees on a contract that is ending are directly competing with external hires.

i was on a high profile contract with a government client. I was told confidently that B&E "had places for all of us" when they lost the contract. One month later, HR was calling me with a termination date. They suggested I "look at the web site for openings" if I wished to continue with the company.

Advice to Management

Its impossible to build a practice of any technical depth without investing in people. Without that you are simply a body shop, bidding on contracts and struggling to place people, billing as much and paying as little as you can.

7. "Jr. Sharepoint Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting projects!
    Acceptional Benefits:
    Health
    401k
    Dental
    Etc.

Helpful team

Cons

I cant speak for ever project or sector but unnecessary micromanagement.

Advice to Management

Get to know your developers more

"Unprofessional HR Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Recruiters are friendly and will try to get you in the door. Then it's all down hill from there.

Cons

Their HR "department" consists of one or two unprofessional people who basically hold your benefits and payroll hostage. If you dare ask too many questions, or have an issue with your check or benefits, good luck trying to get it resolved. I even received a crank phone call from someone in HR hiding behind the company's main telephone number. This is a company of brothers, friends and cousins who branch off and start companies and then miraculously secure sub-contracts under this same company. And none of them have any respect or regard for the employees who work for them, or their private information.

Advice to Management

Get it together. A bag full of trinkets and toys at orientation doesn't compensate for a lack of real culture and structure.

"Great company with an elite workforce"

Current Employee - Sharepoint Developer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sharepoint Developer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not micromanaged. Employees are highly skilled and able to work independently for the most part.

Cons

I can't think of a single con!! I guess it would be that they are totally dependent on the targeted market.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting only the elite! It feels good to be vetted so thoroughly before getting a job offer. The quality of employees is due to the rigorous technical interviews and multiple interactions with recruiting.

"Consulting firm I've been waiting for."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actually cares about their employees happiness and career growth. Salary, benefits and training are very good. There are some big areas for growth within the company.

The front office knows what is happening onsite and is in regular contact with employees.BE feels very much like a small family in the best of ways. I recently went on paternity leave and received 2 care packages from the company - when I hadn't even told people outside of my immediate team.

And if a contract does end, they have a deep bench with lots of new openings all the time. This is a place that wants to grow you as an employee and keep you here long term.

Cons

They honestly push Microsoft and COTS products a little too hard. There is a solution for every problem; SharePoint and Azure don't have to the only ones we look at.

No maternity/paternity leave!?

Advice to Management

To expand upon my con, the senior technical staff could been more knowledgeable about non-Microsoft products and tools. In addition, they could spend more time getting the company to implement these solutions on contracts.

"Most awful place..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

I thought hard about this and found none!

Cons

Working with B&E is like a drama series, sort of like House of Cards. Intense politics, no priority for real work, back-biting by senior management, and no courtesy whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and hear them out