Buchanan & Edwards Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Dennis Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, mission focused, new direction, wins work back (in 8 reviews)

• Fair work/life balance (although can be dependent on customer) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company has grown beyond the small business size but still needs that entrepreneurial mindset (in 3 reviews)

• I was told confidently that B&E "had places for all of us" when they lost the contract (in 4 reviews)

1. "Challenging & rewarding"

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time

Pros

The environment pushes me to up my game. Have had opportunities to grow my career in the company. Hard work and excellence are both rewarded. I feel I have had unique opportunities to make a difference at the clients I've worked for. Feel confident that the current senior leadership has the right skills and experience

Cons

Career model is adhoc but flexible. Less experienced staff need better goals and expectations. More experienced staff need better accountability and more empowerment. Company has grown beyond the small business size but still needs that entrepreneurial mindset.

Advice to Management

Follow-through on initiatives is key. Hire the right people who knows what it's like to work for a small company or can adapt.

2. "Something happened"

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New upper management
    Good competitive benefits
    New company direction and branding
    Good corporate office (Roslyn and Chantilly)

Cons

No work / life balance
    Work culture and values are always promoted but I’ve never saw it or was exposed to it
    Immediate managers/supervisors keep too many secrets - open door is not always welcome
    Annual performance is a joke, it is never follow during next year performance
    Lack of corporate support
    Company has grown from small business size but not that many opportunities from existing employees to grow or enhance skills

Advice to Management

Always take care of your good high performers employees

Jan 4, 2018 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As a current employee we need you to continue to voice your perception of areas of success and improvement so we can all work to make Buchanan... More

3. "involved in many areas --Project"

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time

Pros

Very open, encouraging and involving. Positive environment, happy place to work. Most of all encouraging employees to get involved.

Cons

Not at the time, things are looking great.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great work!

4. "SharePoint Developer"

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time

Pros

The job was easy.

Cons

We didn't have enough people to do the job.

5. "The company promises to continue moving you and your career forward but lacks action"

Current Employee - Analyst in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company orientation is very informative
    Holiday party is AMAZING!

Cons

When attempting to move forward several hard working and dedicated employees were turned down. It seems as though they would prefer to hire outside of the company before moving their employees up (Total opposite of what they say). Raises are out of the question!!! unless you are interested in writing an essay about why you deserve one and lack of rewarding to employees who aren't looked at as "favorites". There is no open door policy with higher management.

Advice to Management

Managers should be more focused on the well being of their hard working employees instead of the constant complaints.

Nov 17, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for the feedback on orientation. We really want to continue the good communication strategy established there throughout employee engagement. From your comments it seems that did not occur... More

6. "Great culture and great management"

Former Employee - IT Administrator in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - IT Administrator in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the IT department at Rosslyn for a little less than a year. The environment was really great and I enjoyed working with the people there. There were a lot of changes in my short time there but all the new management was great to work with. I still keep in touch with many of the people I worked with. Mehret was my first boss there and she was great to work for. Very easy to talk to and always opened her door for questions/concerns or even just to chat. Tom Murray is the new VP of HR and he is extremely nice and when I injured my back they gave me the flexibility to work from home and I was able to go to my doctor's appointments and take care of everything I needed to do. If the opportunity arises in the future I would be happy to go back

- Health insurance is really good
    - Company has good benefits

Cons

In house network is too small :)
    Had to pay for parking everyday - they do give commuter benefits though
    Pay wasn't amazing for in house IT but on contracts it is higher

"High Turnover"

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok company to work for

Cons

If you aren't management, you have no idea what is going on within the company. Huge lack of communication. Very egocentric managers. They pride themselves on having a great culture and values - I never saw it or was exposed to it.

"High turnover and imploded positive reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of hard-working people there left without direction and career path.

Cons

The review titled "If You Like Turnovers, They've Got an Oven Full" on 10/25 is the most accurate and truthful statement about BE. I can assure you, we are not disgruntled employees. We have endured and witnessed the improprieties first hand and would recommend staying away from this company for a while. How can a review state "great culture" when the organization is in constant state of change and has gone through 3 CEOs in less than 2 years?
    The internal departments go through so many turnovers, how can you implement any type of process or build a culture?
    If the company decides to rid of long tenured employees, there is a proper way to do it. Having an executire team that is so secretive and misleading does not foster an environment of trust and you sure will not get any commitment and loyalty out of your employees.
    As an internal back-end employee, many of us were really disappointed and saddened when you flat out announced in a yearly all-hands dinner that "project managers" are the most important employees in the company. I guess all of our 50-60 hours/week in the other department as non-managers don't really matter and don't count because I am not billable.
    You definitely lost my commitment, devotion, and loyalty because of the way you are treating employees in such a poor matter. For a small company, you sure act like a big firm where we're just numbers to you.

Advice to Management

Change the way you conduct business all around. It is no wonder that you cannot renew any of the federal contracts you had in the past. Your bad reputation is spreading and no matter how many positive reviews you post will change that.

Nov 27, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your thoughts. It is appreciated. Just to be clear, the company has graduated via growth from the small business socio-economic categories where several of... More

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* They have a nice facade, they have a nice office space in Rosslyn with a stocked fridge.
    * They have a newsletter and a gimmicky toy they hand out to everyone to take pictures with to get quarterly prize
    * Unlimited training - needs approval and at least a one year commitment

Cons

*From the get go, no one seemed to know what they were doing. I went through a recruiter and the Security Officer at BE denied me because my clearance wasn't active. It was active, it just had to be picked up by them. This lead to mass confusion and it's the Security Officer's issue. Imagine how many others they've turned down because she didn't know what she was doing.
    * They have no company engagements, except an annual Christmas party, that's geared for the 20's crowd. It's a happy hour after work. No one from my team went because we all have families
    * They forced everyone into the craziest non-compete. Do not sign it if you know what's good for you, or take a stand and have it revised in your favor
    * HR has a long way to go to being sympathetic to you and your needs. Their HR head is rude and doesn't seem to care about you and your concerns
    * They only have 1 federal client. That client is probably going away.
    * You will never know anyone outside of your project. They do little to get everyone engaged
    *You can not take time off during the pay period in an event of an emergency and expect that you can make it up. I had a sick child and had to rush to take her to the doctor during work hours. My boss made me take PTO. He wouldn't let me take time to make it up. On the other hand, he would disappear for hours and no one would know where he was.

Advice to Management

*As an IT company, you should have your managers be technical and have a PMP. Seems like everyone there that's promoted has no project management experience or technical certifications. It's embarrassing to cover for your boss.
    *Managers need training on team building. My manager just talked about himself and was in his own world and would do anything to have the light shine on him.

10. "Great mid-sized company to work for"

I have been working at Buchanan & Edwards full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dennis and the other new additions to the executive management team have really helped Buchanan & Edwards develop the parts and pieces to grow, providing new opportunities for employees to advance. Leadership is very accessible. Above market compensation and benefits.

Cons

Office space got a little crowded as a result of growth, but the new office in Chantilly has really helped and gives employees more flexibility on work location and commute.

Sep 25, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We are pleased that the Chantilly office space has provided exactly the flexibility you mentioned above. Please continue to share your opinion on... More