Buck Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Buck Consultants Reviews

Updated January 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of communication on long-term strategy and growth goals (in 6 reviews)

• Dynamic with parent company is challenging but has improved over the years (in 8 reviews)

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Buck's business portfolio is still heavily concentrated in the traditional DB retirement consulting, which is believed to be declining and eventually diminishing in the near future. However, the company has quickly reacted to this trend and turned its direction towards expanding the revenue base to the non-traditional business and boosting the "innovative" spirit among the employees. We have quickly acted upon the opportunities borne by the new Healthcare law, and partnered with the innovative parent Xerox to embark on other interesting journeys, including the development of "Savings Insight" and "BenefitWallet", while our competitor chose to delay their scheduled business cliff/crisis by stealing talents and clients from Buck's traditional business area.

Cons

(1) Lack of communication on issues that employees are concerned about
    (2) Poorly funded bonus pools
    (3) Low employee morale in the traditional retirement business area

Advice to Management

To bring back the good-old time Buck, we need the followings:

(1) Better integration, better communication

How does having Xerox as parent company help the day-to-day life of the Buck employees? How can the Buck employees leverage the innovative and cutting-edge technology of their parent company? We still feel very apart from Xerox, and some think they just eat up our profit margin and contribute to the lower-funded bonus pool.

(2) Better funded bonus pools

The bonus pool has been 40-70% funded in the past 5-6 years. Every employee in my office seems to be overworking, yet we still get less than 100% funded bonus. We need to set some realistic business targets with our parent company and make every effort to pay the target bonus. No one believes in the target bonus anymore, and our competitors have been using this fact in their sales pitch in their attempts to steal our employees.

(3) Reinstate small employee perks

Should not discount the significant effect of small employee perks such as free soda, coffee, etc. I bet this will be a huge morale booster.

"Okay job, good pay, bad hours and high expectations"

Former Employee - Defined Benefits Senior Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Defined Benefits Senior Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Buck Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome pay, even starting out, and good people to work with.

Cons

Long hours are expected with no additional compensation, and there is an extremely high stress level. The job security is shaky due to the company not doing as well financially as expected in the last year. They have the usual large company mentality of "do more with less."

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more. Little things matter, even thank you's and team outings that do not cost the company much but can do a lot to boost morale.

"Barriers to professional growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work life balance is good

Cons

too many to list but a good place to start is with sr. management

Advice to Management

impossible to grow a career, get a clue or lose new talent.

5. "It is improving"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are really friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

The pay structure hasn't lived up to what it was supposed to be. Our target bonuses and general wage inflations have been non existent.

"Buck"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time

Pros

very warm and caring environment; great place to learn consulting; collaborative culture

Cons

low pay; strange and poorly administered bonus program

Advice to Management

bring salaries to more competitive position with competitors

"Getting there but still a ways to go"

Current Employee - Principal in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

high freedom to act; on the upswing, willingness to push thought leadership agenda

Cons

struggling with Buck's parents; inability to make a sufficient commitment to investing in new businesses

Advice to Management

more aggressively grow the business, via strategic acquisition both because it will give us more strength as players in the Xerox portfolio of businesses, and also because parts of Buck are likely the seeds of important connectors between the legacy xerox business and the services

"Good"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time

Pros

Family-friendly environment where the employees care about one-another.

Cons

Difficult to advance without exams

Advice to Management

Better advancements from within Buck as opposed to needing to leave and come back to Buck for appreciation.

"Lots of flexibility in terms of providing employees the work life balance they need"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Team culture is quite strong, options to work remotely if preferred. People are recognized for their hard work and promoted quickly as they are ready to move to the next level. Managers are great and provide learning opportunities to junior folks where possible.

Cons

Pay and benefits less than desirable. Compared to industry, salary is lower at Buck. Bonuses are paid once a year and in recent years, bonuses have been pretty bad. Dynamic with parent company is challenging but has improved over the years.

Advice to Management

Alot of people are leaving the company because of being underpaid. There should be a periodic review of employee compensation by level/function to determine what the right level of pay should be.

"Decent Hours, nice people, awful raises"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My coworkers were friendly. Feedback was relatively encouraged. I rarely had to work past 6 or 7. My boss was great and I learned useful skills

Cons

Though my starting salary was decent, raises were abysmal. The only way to get a decent a raise at Buck is to get a counter offer and even then it's tricky. Buck has struggled in recent years. It's a declining company in a declining industry (defined benefits). My bonus for outperformance was 5% of salary, not much incentive.

Advice to Management

If you would like to retain talented individuals invest in them a bit more. The work life balance is nice but those who work hard for the company and outperform need to be given bigger raises and bonuses or else it doesn't seem worth it

11. "Good place for mid-career consultants"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

Lots of flexibility
    Creative opportunities for commuicators

Cons

Lack of leadership support
    Not a lot of cohesion among lines of business