Buckeye International, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Kristopher Kosup

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company offers a good sales management/ sales training program (in 11 reviews)

• Friendly co-workers, great work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay with almost unattainable bonus goals (in 6 reviews)

• Sales Reps must develop lasting relationships with their customers in order to succeed (in 5 reviews)

1. "Sales Management Program"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Buckeye International has offered me a clearly defined and enjoyable career path. The Sales Management Program provides great sales training, work experience, and opportunities for rapid promotion and career advancement. I began my career as a sales representative at a Buckeye Cleaning Center and was provided with extensive job training on how to become successful in sales. I was quickly promoted to the Account Executive program and then to a Manufacturer Sales Representative. I am now a General Manager of a Cleaning Center.

Cons

Customers can be challenging at times.

2. "Good Company For The Long Haul"

I have been working at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company offers a good sales management/ sales training program. The end goal for the company is to hire all of its management positions from within. Since they only hire from within this leads to fast growth potential with higher earning potential in a relatively short period of time. If you are motivated you can move up in the company pretty fast. If you are loyal and do your job the company will take care of you and you will have a job for a long time.

Cons

The management style is very dated, this is not necessarily a con, just a fact. The company is old school so it takes time for them to change dated policies. The starting pay is not great.

"Old fashion company"

Former Employee - Quality Control in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great work life balance

Cons

I felt like I was working in 1950. There was no room for me to move up.

"Great Products - Poor Management & Worse Pay"

Former Employee - International Sales Representative
    Former Employee - International Sales Representative

I worked at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great Products, If you don't mind working for low pay there are opportunities for advancement

Cons

Everything Else, Everyone Gets the same base pay, pay increases no matter performance, benefits stink including a starting salary, group think.

Advice to Management

Start paying people a living wage that comes close to meeting the market. You will never keep top talent

5. "If you're looking for a career, you found it"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first thing I will mention is that the starting salary is low, but the long term potential with the company is great, and if you're someone looking for a career this is a great company. There is a raise at the 6 month point, and two promotions potentially in the first two years that also have raises. I joined fresh out of college with no sales experience and was given incredible training both out my office and from the corporate office. Buckeye treats everyone like a family and takes incredible care of their employees. Cleaning Chemical, Floor Finish, and Hand Hygiene might not be the most glamorous things to sell but there is not one facility in the world that does not use a selection of these products and with Buckeye you are truly selling the best. Working direct for the manufacturer is also a huge advantage.

Cons

Low starting salary, lots of information to learn but if youre willing to put in the time it comes easy. High Turnover

Advice to Management

Salary bump for new hires, better training tools for GMs

6. "Lead by Example"

I have been working at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time

Pros

I started with Buckeye with no outside sales experience. In the first four weeks, Buckeye’s professional training staff invested time in me and I developed an understanding of their products/programs and learned the selling skills required to feel confident in B2B sales. Buckeye provides an annual salary review and upward mobility in a variety of opportunities that fit your skills. Performance bonuses are paid quarterly. The product line offers the end-user value, sustainability and performance that exceeds your competition’s products. (Side Note: If you are going to be in sales, find the company with the best product performance). Along with selling benefits to the end-user, demonstrations are performed to prove that you have the superior product. I appreciate that selling at Buckeye is transparent and ethical.

Cons

To be successful you have to commit to learning the products and programs. The training program is great, but you have to continue to develop your skills with the help of your manager, chemists, and special team leaders. The learning is continuous. Occasionally, time is required in the evenings or weekends to satisfy a large end-user. However, I have always seen a great return on that investment of time. Some promotions require travel with overnights. Covered expenses, increased compensation, and increases in bonus potential come with those opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example.

7. "Positive Experience"

I have been working at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time

Pros

My manager taught me how to be in sales. This was my first sales job out of college. You get to set your own schedule. Good bonus if you get new business. Already promoted once since joining Buckeye.

Cons

It is a lot to learn in the beginning. You have to learn how to sell and what the products are. It was intimidating at first.

8. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a sales career

Cons

Lots of driving, have to deal with janitorial staff who can sometimes be... less than amicable

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

9. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonus opportunities, great coworkers, promotes from within, clear expectations.

Cons

Overworked for the pay, favoritism, bonuses do not make sense, pay raises equal everybody else no matter how well you do.

"Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Healthcare Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Healthcare Sales Representative

I worked at Buckeye International, Inc. full-time

Pros

You are free to make your own schedule each day.
    Work life balance is pretty good.
    Company flys you out to St. Louis which was a pretty fun experience.
    They grant you an iPhone 7 as your work/personal phone.

Cons

Pay is terrible.
    They do not encourage you to further your education.
    My boss was a complete liar and basically a used car sales man type that encouraged me to lie and screw over customers whenever possible.
    Bonuses make no sense and are always lower than expected.
    I spent most of my day driving around town and sitting in traffic.
    This company did not comply to federal law when it came to gas reimbursement and would only give you 100 dollars a month. Instead of pay you by the mile.

Advice to Management

I would suggest have some ethics and don't lie to college students right out of school saying that this job will provide so much to them with bonuses and crazy experiences.