Buffalo Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Kerstin Block

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • First dibs on discounted brand-name merchandise (in 27 reviews)

• First dibs on clothing with discount, and seeing a ton of unique pieces you otherwise wouldn't have (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • After a while the work/life balance becomes non-existent (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay for adults with tons of experience (in 15 reviews)

1. "Buffalo exchange, buyer"

Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Buyer in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, employees get points and can be redeemed for cash or store credit

Cons

they do the inventory in new year eve

Advice to Management

Everyone deserves an opportunity, even if they are not "hipsters"

2. "Great entry-level job, few opportunities for advancement"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time

Pros

Fun work environment, good coworkers, and discount on clothes. Company supports local charities and tries to be eco-conscious, appreciates its employees (paid for holiday dinner w/plus 1's, gave holiday bonuses), strives to create enjoyable environment for workers and customers alike. Good place for creative people.

Cons

Expected to do a lot of work off the clock/at home/in free time to stay up to date on trends. Regularly worked overtime due to variable shift lengths, inconsistent schedule.

3. "Great place, company needs work"

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time

Pros

Being around a constant rotation of clothes all day is super exciting, great energy, big push on loving fashion and keeping up to date with trends. Staff is usually great, wonderful customer base. Learn how to buy in and select clothes, get some part in how the store is going because of this. Lots of opportunity for career growth

Cons

Points based system, you can easily get fired for very little and management has a tendency to be slightly vengeful. I've seen several former employees banned from entering the store again.

"Fun job, healthy work environment, underpaid"

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time

Pros

If you're into fashion and want to learn about current trends, brands and tiering, then this is a great job for you. You get to wear basically whatever you want to work, and its an overall fun environment. Management is organized and professional.

Cons

The cons of the job are that you are expected to do a lot of research on your free time, you are expected to hold a huge amount of responsibility, and you are only paid minimum wage. You also are expected to have at least 4 days availability with at least one weekend, even if you're part time. If you want a fun, minimum wage retail job, this could be a good fit for you. If you're looking to move up in a company, and make decent money, look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Seriously, just pay your employees more than minimum wage.

5. "Work for a job that pays to be YOU"

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time

Pros

-benefits
    -good hours
    -fresh inventory daily
    -fun environment
    -I love being around customers

Cons

-Stressful customer situations
    -It's a super fast pace

Advice to Management

Relax!

6. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, discounts, meet new people

Cons

Make barely more than minimum wage, no benefits

Advice to Management

Increase pay

7. "A Great Job for Experience!"

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time

Pros

If you are looking for a job that will teach you the ins and outs of merchandising in the fashion industry this is the job for you!

Cons

Sales associates don't get paid enough unless you're in a management position. Gaining a manager title is based on the friendships you build with those already in management positions. Its not based on how hard you work or your experience.

"Exploit people's passions for free labor"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Portland, OR

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, positive environment, discounts.

Cons

Part of the position of being a clothing buyer at buffalo exchange is "shopping" weekly. This is something I was fine with when I took the job initially, thinking that I would be keeping up with trends, and shopping as regular-- maybe browsing sections i wouldnt usually browse when doing it. However, the management kept pestering me about "shopping" and it became clear that they expected employees to go to the mall weekly and spend "between one and two hours" perusing and asking questions about clothes. When i asked if i will get paid for my time management said "we used to do that, but we don't anymore". They mentioned they can't require me to do it, but they strongly encourage it. As a full time student at the time, it was near impossible to set aside that much time every week to peruse the mall for free. Eventually i was let go from the position because they "didnt think i was enthusaiastic enough about fashion". Code for not complying with their free labor expectation.

Advice to Management

Don't force people to work for free when you're already paying them a low hourly wage?

"Fun, woman owned and operated company"

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time

Pros

Health insurance, PTO, 401k, training and development opportunities

Cons

There are some but they're totally subjective. Definitely less cons than a lot of other companies out there.

10. "Never trust a job that constantly reminds you it's "the best job""

Former Employee - Buyer in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Ventura, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're a thrifting juggernaut and love fashion, this can be a really fun job for a while.

Cons

At the end of the day, you're mostly digging through old laundry. Turnover is extremely high, so be prepared to have to pick up shifts constantly, but they'll make sure you keep under enough hours to get benefits. I also had a supervisor who would make us clock out and continue working so we wouldn't be paid for overtime, which is ridiculous and illegal. Overall, there was lack of oversight of management; my manager was absolutely lazy, cliquey, and took advantage of my work ethic. I was often left alone on the floor, working register and doing buys while she went to Starbucks multiple times a day and took smoking breaks constantly. Her behavior was very different during scheduled area manager site visits, but without accountability otherwise, the job quickly became demoralizing.

Advice to Management

More oversight is needed and you need a more thorough exit interview process (I'm 90% sure mine was doctored before it was submitted to corporate). Also, cut it out with "New Merch." It's disposable clothing that is heavily packaged and really counteracts your philosophy of reuse.