Buffalo Lodging Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ronald R Kendall

1. "One of the best companies I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can really make a difference and your efforts are appreciated!

Cons

I can't think of any yet. This company seems to really get it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Oct 31, 2015 – President

What a great way to begin my day. Thanks very much for your review. I hope we can, as you advise, "Keep doing what you're doing!" Likewise, I hope you will feel free to tell your team leaders and ... More

"Hotel Attendant"

Former Employee - Hotel Attendant in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Hotel Attendant in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount on Hilton Hotels and affiliates is always nice .

Cons

Under-staffed and Under-paid . No real opportunity for long term growth.

Advice to Management

Hire staff that are consistent with quality of service

May 6, 2016 – President

Good evening, Please pardon my slow response, but I have been on vacation and my internet access has been spotty at best. I tried responding when your comments were posted, but without success ... More

3. "Front Office Supervisor"

Current Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upward mobility, extra training program from time to time. Very supportive of advancing in company. Prefers to hire/promote from within.

Cons

Most managers are very supportive and flexible, but not everyone is.

Sep 8, 2015 – President

Good morning, Thanks very much for taking the time to write this review. As you know, we have just completed our annual Gallup survey to find out the satisfaction levels of our team members, so it ... More

"Sweet then Sour"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If at the right property you will want to achieve higher goals and expectations. Worked several properties, and always felt the most valuable under great leadership.

Cons

Beware of belittling, cliques, and if you don't belong to a clique having a target on your back. Terrible leadership at some properties will destroy the most loyal employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management need to surprise properties. Pre arrival notifications allow for not seeing a property in their true element. I also recommend making HR more accessible to employees or ex employees who still have unanswered questions or are in need of their guidance, yet have no idea how to contact.

Oct 5, 2015 – President

Hello, I appreciate your feedback, which, of course, causes me some concern particularly as it relates to your lack of awareness of whom to approach regarding human resource issues. Previously I ... More

"One of the worst companies to work for. They do not value their employees."

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good discount at Delta Sonic for washes and interior clean
    - Internal wage employees get a long quite well

Cons

- Other than the housekeeping manager, other management will never be seen during the weekends
    - Management will never come in after they have left and will ignore calls on company phone
    - It will take years for you to advance into the next position. Can't guarantee it though.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when something is going wrong. Do not leave in the middle of a situation in which a manager is needed. Do not let your lower level managers (F.O.S) tell your front desk staff that they are all going to be fired. Acknowledge that your staff needs days off to survive. Please stop kissing up to the CEO and tell him the truth of what's going on in the company and hotel itself.

Dec 9, 2014 – President

Good morning, I appreciate your taking the time to offer your feeback. I would welcome the opportunity to better understand what events led you to such disillusionment with the company should you ... More

"Awful - never again!"

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, including medical, dental, and employee discounts.

Cons

Management and HR have "clics." If you don't fit in - you won't be promoted. They treat minorities better than anyone.

Advice to Management

Be fair, don't judge people based on sexual orientation, favoritism, nor skin color.

"They reward your hard work, time, energy and years of service by firing you."

Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Ellenton, FL
    Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Ellenton, FL

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really aren't any. The median pay is WAY lower than other hotel companies. The benefits are almost non-existant and there is very little in the way of recognition from both hotel level and upper management level.

Cons

Want a lunch break? Too bad. If you work in management or at the Front Desk you will almost never receive a lunch break. Want sick time? Too bad. You get 40 hours of PTO after one year with the company. This time is used for everything: sick days, vacation, etc. At the time I left the company they were considering the idea of sick time so this may have changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't. Need to call in sick? Ha! I can't tell you how many times I worked sick because the schedules and staff are stretched so thin as to allow no room for devation from the printed schedule. Want to be promoted? Well you better be willing to perform the promotion position for your current salary and alongside your current responsibilities before they even CONSIDER giving it to you. And you had better be on the "good side" of upper management or you will get no where as they approve all promotions. How about recognition? Don't bother. Hotel managers are pressured (sometimes with their jobs on the line) on a daily basis to "bring up scores" which in turn makes the working atmosphere stressful and negative. Have a creative idea? They'll pat you on the back and then laugh about it amongst themselves.

I watched a valued employee fired without management even telling them. They were just taken off the schedule. I've seen hotel managers fill out online surveys to pad their scores. Even make reservations under their family's names in hopes of receiving surveys. Many of my General Managers made it a habit to talk about employees behind their back. Even the Human Resources department routinely repeats confidential information to persons involved in complaints/issues. At one point I sought out HR to ask advice about a possible sexual harrassment claim involving one of my employees and the HR manager went straight to the other person involved! I've never in my life heard of something like that. Couldn't believe it happened.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees. They have opinions and feelings and most of them work very hard for very little recognition/reward. Listen to them. Don't take everything GMs say as 100% truth just because you know them better. Turnover will continue to skyrocket until you realize that we deserve to be treated well and have our voices heard. Respect confidentiality. Allow people to make mistakes and to learn and grow with the company.

"Buffalo Lodging Associates"

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time

Pros

Easy to move up in the company
    Good benefits

Cons

Pay is mediocre for area- lose alot of Managers because of this
    Work/life balance is nonexistant

Advice to Management

Work with AGMS to improve skills and knowledge of GM roles.

Nov 3, 2016 – President

Good morning, Thanks for taking the time to provide your comments. I would certainly be interested in getting a better understanding of the things you note as cons so we might be able to relook at ... More

10. "Not caring about employees, being overworked"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too friendly. Many employees are not friendly. Rather than work together and accept change, they work against each other. There is no team work except being overworked.

Cons

There are many turnovers and we are understaffed and overworked. The benefits are not great for employees and management. Some management play both sides in order to get the job done. There is no care. The most loyal and dedicated employees are not valued. As long as the job gets done, the General manager does not care who he/she overworks. When you overwork an employee, the job is less productive. It causes the employee to burn out and look for another job.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the working conditions. Hire more staff. Value your loyal employees. Don't work them so hard to the point the are burned out and have to look for another job. Think about why there are so many turnovers at your company.

Apr 24, 2017 – President

Good morning, Unfortunately, I cannot say that I am in any way shocked to see this review. I know when an employee wants a promotion and the management team feels he/she is not ready it can be ... More

11. "Wonderful Company with great leadership!"

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates (More than 10 years)

Pros

I honestly read these reviews and I have to say the negatives mentioned are not completely accurate. I worked for this company a long time and the senior management was very knowledgable and were people who worked in the business many years and had a plethora of knowledge and understanding of how hotels are run. Are there high expectations? Yes, but they weren't unrealistic and they certainly were more than fair. And yes on occasion there was not a lot of openings for advancement because quite the opposite from what others said...I saw very little turnover during my time there because people were happy in their positions. However , whenever a job was posted they always posted internal first and I know firsthand if someone was ready they were promoted. They don't promote if you aren't ready and honestly HR did a very good job of explaining that in a way that wasn't making someone feel you were being slighted if you didn't get a promotion right away . That is good business practice because they don't want to set someone up for failure. Did I have to do work outside of my pay grade during my time there? Of course. Anyone who works in hotels should be well aware it is not a "one size fits all situation" and you are expected to help as needed. These negative reviews were posted by people who think you walk into a hotel as a front desk clerk and can become a GM in a month or who didn't want to do extra because they only wanted a pay raise but didn't want to prove themselves by stepping out of the box and helping as needed. This company was truly professional, consistent and more than fair in all aspects during my time there. I would highly recommend them to anyone starting out in the hotel business or who wants to get back in the business!

Cons

I honestly don't have any. They were fair, consistent and that was important.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Very few organizations value their employees the way you all do and that's important!

Aug 5, 2015 – President

Good morning, Thanks very much for taking the time to post your comments about BLA. We do make every effort to be fair and honest in our dealing with employees, but I am sure we sometimes miss the ... More