Build.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Build.com Founder Christian Friedland
Christian Friedland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility and a real "work hard/play hard" attitude (in 10 reviews)

• Free Food, Fun Culture, Growing Company (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • And with minimum training on how to use those systems since your job could be completely unrelated to customer service or sales (in 7 reviews)

• Company changing from a service-oriented call center to churn-and-burn sales (in 6 reviews)

1. "Energetic Environment with Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is no one culture at Build, each department takes the main tenants and makes them their own. People will help you and give you information if you ask, but don't expect to be spoon-fed. When you demonstrate to others that you're there to do a good job and help, they will reward that. When you hear about cliques and untouchables, I don't feel that's what is really happening, but rather someone wasn't trying to help anybody but themselves.

Cons

The desire to not be a Big Dumb Company and make quick decisions that force even quicker actions ignores that fact that every decision we make has to scale up to where we are today as a company. The days of handing a new idea to a single person and letting them run with are gone. We don't always have the motivation or patience to do things the right way, that is getting a shared understanding across departments and then executing. We're getting there though.

Some of the roles we have for people may be somewhat unique to Build and people might have trouble finding similar roles in other companies, thus thinking that there aren't good career opportunities. While this is somewhat accurate, if you just focus on the skills you accumulate and not the job titles that can be overcome.

Advice to Management

Keep repeating what the current strategy is so nobody misses the subtle changes that happen as the year progresses.

Jul 13, 2017 – President

Thank you for the review. Very fair and balanced. We do try and fight back big dumb company syndrome and occasionally in favoring action over analysis, we build cool things that weren't meant to... More

"I loved working at Build. Everyone was really awesome to work work and the job was fun."

Former Employee - Product Data Specialist in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Product Data Specialist in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, good pay, good benefits, the job in data was fun, I gained a lot of work experience

Cons

Seems the company is losing its small town company vibe and turning corporate

May 18, 2017 – President

Thanks for the feedback! Its difficult as you get larger and larger to keep that feeling, but first step is awareness. Thanks for the comment and we'll keep that in mind as we continue to succeed!... More

3. "Vendor Account Manager"

I worked at Build.com full-time

Pros

They have the best lunch room ever!! You can cook your own full meal

Cons

Be ready to work very long hours!

May 18, 2017 – President

Thanks for the feedback!

4. "Hard to Let Them Go"

I have been working at Build.com full-time

Pros

I love my team and department. I came here four and a half years ago expecting to stay for maybe six months, and I just haven't been able to leave. They've been super supportive of my education, and expanding my knowledge and letting me work on side projects that I am passionate about.

Cons

You're dealing with hardware, plumbing, and lighting. Not the most glamorous or fulfilling industry, but the people you work with make up for that.

Feb 6, 2017

Thank you for the kind review. I agree, I just find humor in telling people that I'm an Internet toilet salesman, it gets a lot of laughs. Appreciate you staying with the family and I hope your side... More

"Fun Company - Bad Pay"

Pros

Great work environment, amazing people!

Cons

Doesn't pay a living wage.

Advice to Management

Step up to the bat for your employees and make this position a career rather than a stepping stone.

Dec 5, 2016

Great feedback and glad you generally enjoy working at Build.com. As far as compensation goes, starting in sales or data are competitive entry level jobs that can scale with your skill set in... More

6. "Fun company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work and can make good money for the area. Benefits are excellent and the company does a lot for you.

Cons

Hard to move up and hard to get out of sales when you get burnt out. Pay needs to be better.

Advice to Management

With the high frequency of changes, you need to tell employees about said changes rather than waiting for employees to run into those changes 2-4 weeks later.

Feb 6, 2017

Thanks for the kind review! Yes, communication is a perpetual problem in a large organization. We have launched our wiki, we sent out frequent emails about goings on, but we still struggle at times... More

7. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*very flexible on hours
    *Pay is good compared to most the crap in chico.
    *Actually closed on most Holiday's for the most part/
    * Co - Works are good.

Cons

*changed pay structure to many times in one year.
    *Highly metric centric - Your job and your numbers are based on someone else's ability to reconcile an order.
    * 3 strike rule

Advice to Management

Management should re evaluate the 3 strike rule for sales, while it seems fair it really isn't as its not based on a x month to x month, so if you are on the last strike they should take a look at your worth to the company vs hiring someone new. Lot of good people got nailed when that happened.

Nov 7, 2016

Thank you for the candid feedback and appreciate the time you spent here. We're constantly tuning the sales commission program and will take your advice into consideration.

8. "Was Great, Now Good."

Current Employee - Product Data Specialist in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Product Data Specialist in Chico, CA

Pros

I work in the data department so I cannot speak on behalf of the rest of the company.
    - Great work environment
    - Positive atmosphere
    - Supportive management
    - Free coffee, fruit, oatmeal, and cereal.
    - CEO likely swears more than you do professionally

I love working here. The work itself may not be glamorous generally, but it does have many moments where I can flex my brain to solve a problem. Management tries to praise good or hard work whenever they can. Good work is focused on more than bad, and bad work is met with constructive criticism and help to improve.

Opportunity to advance is abundant in this company. If you want something your managers will help you get it. Promoting from within is huge here and I agree with the practice. Earn your place, don't demand it.

Cons

At the time of this writing the sales floor took a huge cut in their numbers and changed their focus from customer experience to sales driven.
    When I was first hired I remember the energy in the building was always positive and uplifting. This made the place an amazing area to work, but change in management policy drastically changed the energy in the building. It appears that is changing but at this moment that is how it is.
    Mondays in the morning the bananas are gross
    People hoard communal bowls and spoons so you have to go on a scavenger hunt to get cereal.

Advice to Management

Keep the company focused on customer experience. That is how we got our fortune and that is how we should keep it. Quotas are something for dumb companies.
    Continue focusing on the positive and get positive results.

Jul 8, 2016 – President

Great feedback and fair and balanced review. I'm glad my occasional choice of verbs and adjectives made your Pro's list. :) As far as cons go, truth be told we've always been a goals focused company... More

9. "Excellent company to be a part of"

I have been working at Build.com (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a great company to work for. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work every day.
    They never fail to remind their employees that they are appreciated. Good benefits. Competitive pay. Great atmosphere. Solid opportunity to advance if you put in the effort.

Cons

The sales floor seems to be in search of a clear identity and suffers from a lack of communication . Speaking broadly, my time here has seen the strategy go from take care of each and every customer like they were family to take as many calls as you can, make a sale and move on. Frustrations stem more from the lack of communication and clear understanding of what is expected rather than the change itself.

That being said, this is still one of the best companies I've worked for.

Advice to Management

As companies grow at such a rapid pace it becomes harder and harder to keep the fundamental values and culture alive. Build.com has done an outstanding job in doing so.

Jul 5, 2016 – President

Thank you so much for the kind words, very appreciated.

10. "Unbiased Build"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time

Pros

Build is a great company that has a ton of career potential for those that are willing to work hard. I think the company has gotten a bad rap lately because of all of the changes that have taken place. The reality is that all company's reach a point where changes are a must in order to keep growing and avoid becoming stagnant. With that said, it doesn't mean you have to completely get away from what's gotten us to where we are and I think we've done a good job at that. Any sales organization is going to trim the fat during off peak times during the year and I think the people that tend to vocalize themselves on glassdoor have no one to blame but themselves. Build is a great place to either build or advance your career if you're willing to do the work. We want people that want are willing to challenge themselves and help make a difference.

Cons

The biggest con is only having a few paid off Holidays a year, but I guess that's the life of retail!

Advice to Management

Keep all levels of the organization in the loop on both positive/negative changes that are happening, to help ensure everyone is on the same page and ensure we're all driving towards the same end goal.

Jul 5, 2016 – President

Thanks for the great feedback. Can't say I disagree with any of it. As we grow, communication is a touchy subject. Too much and its death by meeting, too little and people feel left out. Our... More