Builders Mutual Insurance Employee Reviews about "bmic"

Updated Apr 24, 2020

4.6
Builders Mutual Insurance President and CEO John Boggs
John Boggs
Pros
Cons
  • "I am appreciative of the culture at BMIC(in 5 reviews)

• "Not a lot of career growth due to being a small company so if that's your thing, look elsewhere(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "bmic"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Middle Market Underwriter"

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance

Pros

Progressive, inclusive, forward-thinking, detailed training and promotes upward mobility.

Cons

Continue being inclusive, encouraging feedback, and having an environment that stimulates growth from those who want it. I am appreciative of the culture at BMIC. It doesn’t feel like a job most days. It feels like family.

Continue reading
  2. "Nice Culture. Promotes within."

I worked at Builders Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

BMIC was a good place to work. Good benefits and a nice culture. In my opinion they could definitely pay better but it was better than a lot of places. The interoffice political proved to be too much for me in the end though.

Cons

Too much of management definitely looked out for themselves and could not be relied on.

3. "ASR"

Current Employee - ASR in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BMIC has a great culture and has been a great place to continually learn and advance my career. There is heavy emphasis on continued learning both from classes taught at BMIC and outside.The flexibility offered in my position has been second to none.

Cons

BMIC has been growing at a quick pace creating more work, resulting in a need for more employees. While this is being addressed, it has been a difficult transition to get right staffed.

"It's okay...not the best but not the worst either"

North Carolina in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good. You can make up 4 hours in a week, if you have a` doctor appointment, sick kid, or any other thing going. This is great and keeps you from having to take vacation for every little thing. Builders prides itself on the BMIC culture and this means you'll get to partake in charity events, ice cream socials, and other company functions. Vacation starts at about 17 days your first year. They match 5% 401k and your insurance can be as low as 20 bucks. There is flex-time. The people are super nice!

Cons

While there is flex-time, not in the Claims Dept. Why you ask?? Beyond me. We were told because core hours are 8-5 and everyone should be in the office at this time. I think they feel everyone would want to come in early and leave early. That's not the case. Some people like early, some people like to sleep in longer. The office can be real "cliqu-ish". Those that are apart of the clique get what they want, other's do not. If you have worked here for years, you are held in high regard even if your performance is lackluster. Suggestions aren't taken into account by management. The system for claims is absolutely horrible and they refuse to update it. The pay is below standard for claims employees in other areas.

Continue reading
  5. "Not the greatest place to work...."

2.0

I worked at Builders Mutual Insurance for more than a year

Pros

Builders Mutual prides itself on benefits to their employees, including decent medical, dental, vision, LT and ST Disability, along with 401K (BB&T). Flexible hours (depending on your department), and a "family environment".....

Cons

Pay isn't industry standard for specified job titles. BMIC tends to pay less than most any other company in this industry around (keeps overhead down??) Promises of advancement are pretty much a thing only heard of unless you are part of a "cliche" group. Disrespect to employees is common with very little effort made by management to work through solutions. With 1 year of working here, I personally saw over 8 talented employees leave from issues ranging to better pay elsewhere, to not being treated fairly. Insurance is a cut-throat business, what makes you think they wouldn't do the same to their own people?

Continue reading
  6. "Great Company-Excellent Benefits!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large company with the warmth and personal touch of a small company! Potential for growth and advancement within the company is unsurpassed. Management supports, assists and encourages employees to achieve goals. Courses are offered through Builders University at no charge to the employee and incentive bonuses are given for successful course completion. BMIC offers generous health and wellness benefits, 401K, annual bonuses, competitive salaries, casual days, and early release on Fridays. We work hard but also play hard with foosball tournaments, onsite yoga, softball team, cycling team, ice cream trucks, food trucks, and so much more. BMIC and their employees enjoy giving back with fund raisers, blood drives and other charitable events. I am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of this amazing family we call BMIC!

Cons

No major cons that I can think of at this time.

"Builders Mutual is that rare combination of being performance driven within a community/family focused environment."

Current Employee - Director in Cary, NC

Pros

BMIC handles work-life balance about as well as any comangy can through flexibility and starting the weekend at 2:30 on Fridays. It's a place where, overall, employess have common goals and, more often than not, agreed upon means. People here have your back. This all might lead you to believe it's a sleepy, slow company that doesn't get stuff done. We actually our perfrom the industry, we are always improving, always trying new things while holding on to what workds and discarding what doesn't. If you like being part of a place where you can accomplish things and have an impact, BMIC is it. It's big enough to have the resources to get stuff done while small enough to not be mired in beaurocracy.

Cons

The insurance industry in general pays a bit lower than others possbily due to the overall relative corporate stability. BMIC is roughly on par with the industry for this region. You'll do fine but you wont' get rich.

Continue reading

"Terrific place to work and grow as an Insurance Professional."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at BMIC are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and working together as a team. The company is dedicated to providing all employees the opportunity to learn and grow and to advance in their career. BMIC is flexible when it comes to taking care of your family and getting the job done. There are terrific benefits- 401k match, healthcare, $100 annual reimbursement for gym fees, giving back to the community through Habitat for Humanity, the American Heart Association and Relay for Life. BMIC cares about their employees as much as they care about their customers.

Cons

Small company, so opportunities to advance to management and higher levels are fewer than larger companies.

Continue reading
  9. "Builders Mutual is my employer of choice!"

Current Employee - Manager, Learning and Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with BMIC for 1 year. Coming from a large Insurance entity I welcomed the change in culture. BMIC truly is committed to the success of their employees which is solidified by the numerous educational/training opportunities offered for professional development. I come to work knowing that it is not a one-man show but a true group effort towards the success of the company. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help out, if needed. I am very happy that I am a part of this team with fantastic Leadership Team, and look forward to many more years with Builders Mutual.

Cons

When inclement weather decides to show up the entrance to BMIC reminds me of an ice rink ... but other than that I wish I had found this company earlier in my career.

Continue reading
  10. "Flexible Work Environment"

I have been working at Builders Mutual Insurance

Pros

As a working parent, flexibility is important. At Builders Mutual, knowing I have the flexibility to work remotely and/or have an alternative schedule provides good work life balance for me and my family. BMIC also provides Builders Mutual in Balance (BMiB) as a wellness program with multiple positive benefits, including partial gym membership reimbursement. This program is another added bonus for assisting with work life balance.

Cons

Builders Mutual is a great place to work that continues to grow while maintaining its' status as a leader in the construction insurance industry.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.