Buildium Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Michael Monteiro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "They care"

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I went up to my boss this morning and explained what was happening in my personal life, I asked for advice. He was 100% willing to be helpful and constructive, even though I was seeking help for someone else, and it wasn't work related. These are the kinds of people I work with, real people. They want to help, to listen, to make the world a better place.

Cons

Not every department is as great as engineering.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who make the product, the people on the front lines. In our case, we have the most experience and know what's possible / reasonable.

Bring back the top down culture.

"Why Buildium is the best company to work for in Boston"

Current Employee - Senior Content Writer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Writer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Companies love to talk about their commitment to transparency, work-life balance, competitive salaries, long-term employee growth, and a work-hard, play-hard work environment. Buildium is the only company I have ever encountered that actually commits to these vital aims on a daily basis.
    It starts with the hiring process. Buildium has a no-BS approach to finding and hiring great candidates. They actually read the resumes that are submitted to them; and if you're a good fit, they will contact you quickly. They value a great fit on both sides--you can trust that they'll be as transparent with you about the role as you can be with them about your wishlist for your next job. If it's a good fit, the hiring process moves quickly; you won't have to jump through unnecessary hoops or wait for weeks to find out where you stand. When they're ready to make an offer, they'll do so right away, and will work with you to choose a start date that takes your current circumstances into an account. The entire company, from recruiting to leadership, are committed to paying people well--they take pride in saying, "Wow, you've been paid unfairly for years--hope you're ready to finally be paid what you deserve!" It's incredibly refreshing for an employer to refuse to cheat you on your salary based on what you've been paid in the past. Buildium sets a high standard that other employers should follow if they want to hold on to their employees.
    Once you're hired, you'll find that working at Buildium is exactly as it was described. Your coworkers will be some of the smartest, most dedicated people you'll ever meet, with a huge range of personalities and talents that enrich the company, inside and out. What's unique about Buildium is the trust in its employees at every level. "Micro-management" might as well be a four-letter word here. If you got the job, your entire department trusts that you have the talent, intelligence, and commitment it takes to fulfill your objectives. Every person in your department (and beyond) will celebrate your successes at every opportunity. If you have an idea or insight, you'll be encouraged to implement it however you see fit, because all data is good data. You won't feel constrained by your position in the company's hierarchy; in fact, you'll rarely think about your title at all. You'll simply feel like another member of a talented team of individuals working toward a common goal, with each person's unique contributions being valued equally. Buildium has the spirit of a start-up with the stability of a well-established company.
    Buildium gives its employees unlimited PTO--and unlike other companies, this isn't a tactic to get you to take less time off. You're trusted to get all of your work done on your own schedule; so get ready to book a trip, set your OOO message, and actually enjoy your time off. No one's resenting you for not being there. If you're feeling under the weather, you can just work from home; there's no pressure to come in if you're not feeling your best. You can dress however you like--seriously. You can choose a schedule that works for you, as long as the work gets done. You won't feel pressured to "appear busy" or allow work to bleed into your free time. You'll actually get to know your coworkers as people, not just colleagues. Even if property management is an industry that you've never thought about before, you'll come to feel passionate about Buildium's contributions to the industry. You'll feel personally invested in the company's success--and the company will reciprocate that with an interest in your career growth.
    Buildium's CEO, Michael, is truly focused on the right things. He's equally committed to making Buildium a great place to work; creating a fantastic customer experience; and making sure that the company achieves sustainable success in the long-term. His commitment to ethical, transparent leadership is unprecedented and inspiring. Michael, HR, and many other Buildium executives are as tapped in to the goings-on at the company as it's possible to be, and they genuinely value and act upon feedback.
    If you're self-motivated; collaborative; insightful; passionate; have a sense of humor; and are looking for a company that actually practices what it preaches, you'll find a home at Buildium.

Cons

Buildium is at a point in its history where there's a lot of new blood coming in, and some of its older employees have moved on. It's important for the company to handle this inevitable transition well, making new employees feel as integrated and invested in the company as people who have been there for years; while also making sure that older employees don't feel like the culture has been diluted. I think that Buildium is more poised to stick this landing than any other company I've seen.

Advice to Management

With a lot of changes taking place in key leadership roles, be as transparent as possible with department. People crave confirmation that their jobs are secure and the things they love won't change drastically. Keep hiring leaders that value work-life balance, transparency, flexibility, autonomy, and a flat hierarchy in order to maintain the company's unique culture.

3. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, culture and teammates

Cons

Need to better align product with vision of going up market

"Great place to work; needs to invest more in employee training programs."

Former Employee - Outbound Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Outbound Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, great CEO. They treat their people right and go above and beyond to make sure everyone's happy. Competitive and fun work environment, great pay and a more than decent work life balance.

Cons

I along with others didn't get much training to start, in the product or Salesforce so that really hurt my performance in the end. However, I've heard this problem's been corrected so good for them!

Advice to Management

Invest more in training employees!

5. "Great Experience"

I worked at Buildium full-time

Pros

-Great company culture
    -Managers don't go on power trips, very collaborative with their teams
    -Open door policy with all departments
    -Ping pong and foosball

Cons

-When I joined, they recently updated their Salesforce and it was disorganized. Though, they did a decent job cleaning it up by the time I left.

Jan 18, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you had a great experience and wish you all the best in the future!

"The best of boston"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation (benefits and pay)
    Amazing wonderful coworkers
    Sense of true collaboration
    Fun team outings and activities
    Lots of employee recognition
    Company is involved in the community

I couldn't think of a better place to work.

Cons

We're not supposed to work Saturdays and Sundays which is a real bummer considering I love working there so much

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep investing in professional development of employees and team-bonding activities.

Jan 18, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for this review, we are excited to hear you have been having such a positive experience. However, we will definitely be keeping our offices closed on the weekends!

"Collaborative environment where everyone has a voice!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is in high growth mode but hasn't lost sight of what makes Buildium great. Collaboration is a word that is used quite a bit these days but at Buildium you can really see it. It's an environment where everyone really cares about one another.

Cons

No cons come to mind. A lot of growth, but that's never a bad thing!

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding the employees who make Buildium what it is!

8. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Folks really care about each other and the management is accessible and smart.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing company, role boundaries can sometimes be a little vague, but easily resolved with communication.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Oct 10, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

People really do care and this is a big part of our culture! We are growing really fast and communication is crucial. These are typical growing pains but something that we can't lose sight of... More

"Good company that needs to listen to employees more"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Buildium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good work-life balance
    - a lot of collaboration
    - depending on position, ability to work from home
    - good culture--people are the best thing about the company

Cons

- unlimited pto isn't as great as it sounds--a lot of people end up taking less time off
    - since insane growth, teams can be very siloed
    - managers could use training--especially senior male leadership, who get away with everything under the sun
    - pay isn't very competitive
    - despite having smart investors with sound advice, product doesn't seem to be progressing
    - very little design presence
    - fair amount of turnover

Advice to Management

Spend more time listening to your employees instead of taking the word of your senior managers. Also, pay closer attention to those you hire/promote to senior leadership positions. Experienced, senior males are treated very leniently.

Oct 29, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback, and for your passion and commitment to making Buildium better. At Buildium, we believe in being open and honest - even when it stings. We also believe in creating an... More

10. "Customer Success Consultant"

Pros

Awesome atmosphere and focus on work-life balance. Unlimited PTO and games to get your mind off work during the day. Close-knit group of coworkers and everyone is committed to creating a great product for our customers.

Cons

CLassic growing pains of a startup hitting it's stride: some lack of communication between teams, bottlenecking for decisions; all standard in a small company that is now suddenly large.