Bulldog Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Randy Watson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Trying to create a work/life balance is hard, but between taking the time off when you need it, to flexible work hours, and WFH options too (in 4 reviews)

• Work with a wide array of great people with great experience who work together well (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • We also work hard - long hours, crazy deadlines, strange requests (in 4 reviews)

• Low morale due to poor management and the exhaustion that comes with very long days (in 3 reviews)

"Future Looks Bright!"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined Bulldog less than a year ago. From the start and during the interview process, I could tell they take great care in selecting who they get to work with.

• Onboarding process is stellar! At least 2 weeks’ worth of general onboarding with various department heads, COO, CEO, and Co-Founder. Great to hear how the agency has evolved, how you will get the opportunity to work with each cross-functional team members, and their perceptive, experience and why they chose to join. They cover operations, culture, history, individual job function, Project management, and all the other nuts and bolts of how we work and what is expected of you to succeed. Amazing experience that sets you up for success while getting to know the whole team.

• Benefits and perks are great! Unlimited PTO, I mean come on, do I need to say anything more? This should be at all places that value their employees. Trying to create a work/life balance is hard, but between taking the time off when you need it, to flexible work hours, and WFH options too. Truly feel valued! Fully stocked fridge, snacks, beverages, and all kinds of goodies. We don't go hungry here, like at all. Every Friday morning company provided breakfast tacos (or other options too occasionally) with weekly updates, presentations, and sometime guest speakers. Bring your pet to work days on Wed and Fri. Bulldog = pet friendly workplace. Standard medical, dental, and vision, with FSA, HSA and 401k options too. Heard we are launching a new paternal leave policy that will give new moms and dads more paid time off to spend with their new member(s) of the family.

• Culture – wildly creative & totally geeky (but you knew that from checking the website), humorous, humble, caring, giving, committed, collaborative, curious, and courageous group of individuals that are excited to work and create amazing things for clients, while helping to always evolve and make the agency better. We know how to party! Been here less than a year and feel like we celebrate everything here. From co-workers getting married, to having babies, celebrating birthdays, quarterly parties, to our super awesome Golden Mic event to benefit HAAM. Employee driven non-profit group – DeTP (Dogs for the Ethical Treatment of People), with the goal of helping and promoting local to national and even international non-profits that run the gamut of Art/Creative, Child Protection and Poverty, supporting Tech in Austin, Pets, Health and disease awareness. Inspired to work with such a great group of people that have their hearts in the right place.

Cons

• Small ever-growing and changing, different type of marketing agency. Sums up what you will most likely hear about us. This is good and sometimes has it downsides too. We are scrappy and have gone through some not so good years, or so I have been told. With this there is the need for operational changes, movement in positions, and some gray areas that could be seen as negative if you can’t handle ambiguity or don’t deal well with change. Those with big ideas, hungry for change, and have an entrepreneurial spirit tend to do well and even thrive in this environment.

• Finding your balance can be difficult at first and work definitely ebbs and flows. When you first start you will most likely be drinking from a fire-hose. If you are a sponge and love to learn new things while being completely immersed in a new experience, you will be fine. We are a fast pace group and won’t stop till it’s done, and maybe even keep going afterwards too, just to be sure. With a core value of Commitment, you may find it hard to say no. However, most everyone here are reasonable people and would rather you succeed than drown in work. Best to speak up and set clear expectation from the start. Not your 8-5 type of work environment and working on the weekends to get the job done isn't out of the question but not the norm either. It's on you to find your balance, but they help to facilitate it.

• Other general things people tend to complain about – very cold offices or too hot conference rooms, some older technology – laptops, monitors, etc., older office furniture, but newly remodeled office, breakroom, and building in general as been given a face lift too.

• Most importantly - If you focus on the negatives, perception becomes reality and those things can feel personally bigger than they really are. If you tend to only look at those things, then that type of mentality won’t work here. Small growing company that is focused on people and the agency, making killer marketing content, and bringing ROI for our clients, that’s what is important. So take some of these posts with a grain of salt and don’t believe everything you read from people’s sour outlooks on life.

Advice to Management

Love the Irresistible Workplace concept and what we are striving for! Continue to train up your managers, both new and the more experienced ones too. Keep the culture and people as your primary focus. Continue to listen to and address problems as they come up. Keep us informed and up to date on changes, and remain transparent for the future. Invest more in training and development, not just with conferences but overall employee career and personal growth. Encourage even more open dialog with employees during performance reviews and sharing of experiences (good and bad) during survey time. Become more agile in project planning and continue to collaborate across teams, not just department heads, for their input when engaging with new clients and projects. Lastly, continue being awesome and hiring great talent as we enjoying working with and learning from new and diverse people.

Sep 12, 2017 – Talent Team

Aww shucks! Thanks so much for the feedback and highlighting so many of the great things we have going for us. We are very encouraged to hear that you love our Bulldog community - we do too :) We... More

"Company culture is excellent"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bulldog has maintained a startup atmosphere where everyone has access to talk with the CEO and has the ability to make real changes, while still working with Fortune 500 clients. They've obviously worked diligently to bring positive changes to the culture, benefits and salaries to make it a place where people want to come to work every day.

Cons

Things get busy and you have to step up the pace, but there are always ebbs and flows in this industry.

Sep 5, 2017 – Talent Team

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback in this review. Thrilled to see that others recognize the hard work and dedication we put fourth towards shaping and evolving our company... More

"Where dreams go to die."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Bulldog Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a couple of employees who were decent.

Cons

• Disorganized - their on boarding is non-existent, and they're not ready for your first day, despite requesting you start on said day.
    • Power struggles - internal strife will be part of your normal routine here. Think again about working cohesively with coworkers....they're often upset about how news is delivered to them, about new employees starting. Nothing operates smoothly, and it causes tension and uncomfortable working conditions.
    • Poor management - Who's running the show? Between internal strife and conflict, immature individuals in key roles, it's hard to tell which way is up.
    • Unprofessional - Management's way of dealing with challenging employees is to scream at them in their office, assuming the rest of the employees can't hear them.
    • Apprehension - When you decide you're going to lead the charge on things, management would rather focus on "who told you to do that" vs "wow, what a great idea, let's see how this can benefit our company/business"
    • While the office might be remodeled now, it was such a depressing experience for me and others, I don't think the facelift would have made much improvement.
    • Benefits - Don't plan on getting pregnant while you work there. They won't compensate you for it, and they'll give you a guilt trip about "being gone for so long."

Advice to Management

If you wish to retain employees, and not experience constant turn over, treat everyone decently. Austin's a small city and people talk. Bulldog is too small a company to carry such a bad reputation in town.

Sep 12, 2017 – Talent Team

We appreciate you taking the time to leave this very candid and frank review as feedback for us. We are VERY sorry that your experience here was not positive and you were left with such a negative... More

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, talented, hardworking and fun people.
    Team effort to produce quality work.
    Great atmosphere.
    Management is focused on employee happiness, being transparent and always trying to improve.

Cons

As with any company, there have been some bumps along the way.

Sep 5, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback with this review. Sounds like for the most part things are going well for you here. If you have any suggestions or would like to see some changes... More

"Too Many Negatives. Work Somewhere That Has Their Stuff Together. Appreciating your Employees Goes A Long Way."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bulldog Solutions full-time

Pros

There are a handful of coworkers who are nice and the building is nice.

Cons

- Mgmt. is all over the place. From micromanaging, to not knowing process, to letting go of employees without thinking it through.
    - Mgmt. loves to point out when an employee is wrong vs. helping lead and support.
    - Employees are drowning in work due to lack of appropriate resources to do the jobs needed. Working 12-15 days for weeks on end and with no appreciation (but yelled at instead) is driving people to quit.
    - Even though people are working extreme amounts of overtime during the week, they are expected to work during the weekend to help "catch up". There is no life/work balance.
    - Mgmt. constantly over-promises to clients, causing employees additional stress and forcing them to work late nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

- Dont micromanage your employees. You hired them to do a job, let them do it.
    - Make sure you have the resources to do the jobs. Over working your employees are one of the reasons for high turn over here.
    - Dont speak down to your employees, they are humans just like you. Everyone deserves respect.
    - Get your stuff together and keep a cool head - so employees feel valued and appreciated vs. getting yelled at for pulling endless weeks of long hours for YOU. Show some respect! Or help out and support to be a team, lend a hand and work the hours they are, get off your high horse.

Sep 12, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry that you didn't have the best experience as a Bulldog, but we do wish you well with future employers and endeavors. Not... More

"Buckle Up"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In this fast-paced, uber-smart, creative environment, you are the only one holding you back. Because of its small size, you must wear many hats... but that's half the fun. And part of the challenge. But the family feel keeps you grounded and fully supported. Everyone is a cheerleader. I've learned more here in a few months than at many agencies in years. If you're a wallflower, then you need not apply. Being geeky and nerdy is a plus.

Cons

As in any digitally-dominated company, the constant change and fluctuation can be unsettling for some. (Not for this reviewer.) So you must be flexible and ever-willing to evolve and learn. But that is the nature of the B2B biz.

Sep 5, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks for your honest review of Bulldog! We are an interesting mix of individuals and you have captured that quite well with sharing your feedback. Glad to hear your experience here has been mostly... More

"Amazing so far :)"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a long time I have been looking for a workplace that treats its employees like adults and is careful and responsible when hiring so there are no slackers. I believe I have found that at Bulldog. Everyone here is on the ball and dedicated to their work. Collaboration is encouraged and nourished so everyone is willing to lend a hand–across teams and across the company. To my knowledge, there is no concern at all that the work will not be given the utmost attention as it gets handed off throughout the process. Given some of the drama and lack of attention at other places I've worked, this is wildly refreshing.

The work is also quite exciting. I have the opportunity to work on projects that I've never done before, which is great considering the varied set of skills I've gathered in my tool box over the years. I'm still pretty new here so I don't have as much to say on the subject as others might.

Another REALLY exciting thing is unlimited AND guilt-free PTO. Again, it goes back to trusting your employees to get the work done and then let them take the time off that they feel they need. It's magical.

AND, on top of ALL that, there's also a well-stocked kitchen. Our lovely office manager, Cynthia, keeps sandwich and salad fixings stocked in the fridge, as well as both healthy and not-so-healthy snacks in the pantry. There is also a drink fridge stocked with soda, diet soda and all the La Croix you heart desires.

To summarize, I LOVE working here (if you couldn't tell by all the CAPS). If you are lucky (and skilled/awesome) enough to be hired here, I'm sure you will too.

Cons

I haven't encountered much yet. There's not a lot of drama and people are able to rely on each other.

The one thing I will say is they do need to continue updating the tech. I know they're in the process of upgrading everyone's computers and that it takes time. That being said, I hope part of the process is getting bigger, higher quality displays for the design team. I think this is the smallest monitor I've ever worked on and I have to double-check colors on the macbook screen. BUT, I will say, I think this is the most powerful macbook I've ever been given. So...pros and cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up your dedication to being an Irresistible Workplace. From my point of view, it's really paying off because I love it here!

Sep 5, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback provided in your review!

Glad you are loving it here and hope to keep that excitement alive. Delighted and encouraged to hear that our vision for an... More

"Amazing work place"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bulldog management is all about the people. The way they treat the employees is amazing. From a stocked kitchen, to breakfast every Friday morning to monthly massages... how can you beat it. These are just a few of the fantastic perks of being a bulldog...

Cons

Busy, busy, busy. For me this is not a con, but for some it may be. You will never be bored.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Happy employees = great production and happy clients.

Aug 22, 2017 – Talent Team

Thanks so much for the feedback! We feel very encouraged to hear that you love our Bulldog community. We're working night & day to create an irresistible workplace for all current & future Bulldogs... More

"Small shop with Big client & Lots of Work - Very Enjoyable"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a small team (less than 100) that works with big Fortune 500 clients, so it feels like the company is bigger than it actually is (a pro for me). The team is working together to build better processes, which will help our teams work better together, which is needed. Nice perks of a typical milennial workplace (free food, free drinks, happy hours, non-profit engagement, unlimited PTO, remote work ability, pet-friendly). Great medical plans. Leadership has brought on a few great people who have amazing experience, positive outlooks & want to help to grow the business, this is key to ensuring that the future years are just as good as the most recent ones. Overall, one of the most engaging places that I've EVER worked - very enjoyable.

Cons

Since it is a small business, there are typical small business problems - rumors/gossip, favoritism (real or perceived), too much work & not enough people and long hours during some projects & dull days during times where there is less work. We had some lay-offs last year due to a contract that didnt close, which sucks, but I guess it is the nature of the beast that is agency-life. Bonus plans for employees are not that great. No cost of living raises or merit raises. I've heard that the parental leave policy is pretty bad. Not all job roles are clearly defined (typical small shop with many hats), which can lead to confusion, burn-out and attrition, if not addressed.

Advice to Management

Dont get lost in building process just to have process, make sure its meaningful and will help us to grow. Keep embracing the transparency, it is working to dispel some of the murmurs. Offer training to the people who are here and you wouldn't need to keep hiring senior-level people. As harsh as it sounds, let go of team members who are negative or not pulling their weight before it hurts your team.

Aug 22, 2017 – Talent Team

We SO appreciate your very candid feedback on the real world day-to-day happenings of Bulldog. Glad your outlook and experience has been mostly positive. Also welcome your insights on how we can... More

"Love being a Bulldog!"

I have been working at Bulldog Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really love working here! The people are the best. Super creative and intelligent. I look forward to going to work every day! The renovation of the office space turned out great.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons about the company as a whole. I do wish I could avoid Loop 360 completely but I love the office space once I get there so I suppose the commute is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Management has made some great improvements over the last year or two. Keep moving in the right direction and continue making Bulldog Solutions an irresistible workplace.

Aug 15, 2017 – Talent Team

Aww shucks! We are very encouraged to see the engagement & commitment to improving our Bulldog world by leaving this feedback. Happy to have positive and excited team members like yourself here... More