Cover image for Bulley & Andrews

71% Recommend to a Friend
87% Approve of CEO

Found 38 of over 46 reviews

3.9
Bulley & Andrews Executive Chairman Allan E. Bulley Jr. (no image)
Allan E. Bulley Jr.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great People to work with.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Friendly office with decent level of support staff(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Place to Work

Aug 2, 2022 - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Before Bulley I worked a different construction firm for over 10 years. I always felt like an outsider there. However, being at Bulley I've received such support and guidance. I've been a part of the team from Day 1. Any concerns that I've had have been addressed ASAP. Upper Management have been very easy to talk with. They also believe in treating everyone fairly, from internal to our Subcontractors and Owners. Couldn't ask for a better place to work

Cons

Change is slow coming, but they keep their word.

2. 3.0

Construction Intern Review

Sep 29, 2022 - Construction Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Project teams are there to help you learn in the beginning, so in return you can help them on the project.

Cons

On some projects, Project managers/engineers are in the office most of the week and not on site. I prefer to see the progress in person each day for an internship experience.

3. Join the Bulley & Andrews team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Coworkers, terrible management

May 31, 2022 - Project Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers and general employees are all very nice and helpful, the culture is great if you know who to surround yourself with and get involved.

Cons

Management is terrible. Accounting supervisor is par for the course. They will throw you under the bus and talk bad about you with your coworkers. They also will dispose of you if you don't suit their taste and belittle you without taking any responsibility. They don't appreciate hard work and don't encourage those that work beneath them.

HR Department

We appreciate the feedback. Bulley & Andrews is committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and collaborative work environment for all of our employees. I'm sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience. We encourage our employees to provide feedback during our annual engagement surveys and to have open communication with leadership. If you would like to discuss your specific experience further please reach out to HR@bulley.com . We would welcome the opportunity.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A Sinking Ship

Nov 23, 2021 - APM/PM/SPM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Location is good. Lots of responsibility and exposure. Coworkers are good people. Plenty of project type diversity. Fridge is always stocked! Free lunches often. Cool gear / clothes.

Cons

No onboarding training. No standardization of processes across the company. Women are treated as children instead of equals. All executives, VPs and above are males. Zero diversity at the very top. Pay is below market value, and they know it. Bonus does not make up for lack of salary. Bonus is paid in fractions over the course of many months as a way of retaining people instead of rewarding them. Only the m “inner circle” gets promoted. Support from upper management is non existent. Admin / PM support is stretched across several PMs / projects, if you’re lucky to get one at all. It is expected that everyone works latet on a regular basis. People who show up after 7 AM and leave before 5 PM are put on a list and tracked. Unless of course you’re upper management. You are expected to give up weekends and other free time for work related activities. Field supervisors are expected to work overtime for free because they’re salary. They’re also asked to do union work to save money. No one has time to train their subordinates properly due to workload. So both of them suffer in the long run. Upper management wins projects using budgets that are too low, then blame the project team for any losses. The motto: Quantity > quality. 10+ people have left in 2 months. I’ve seen people leave that have been here longer than. I’ve already started my own job search. There’s a problem and they won’t change because it would take money away from the people at the very top.

HR Department

We appreciate your feedback. While your comments are disappointing to read, we take all comments seriously and would encourage you to talk to your manager, senior leadership or HR about the issues you have raised. This would allow for a more productive discussion to share information and gain a better understanding of your perspective. We have an open door policy and listen to all employee concerns as critical feedback in our constant improvement efforts. We are proud of our strong employee engagement and welcome constructive feedback.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Family Owned Company

Feb 17, 2022 - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great People, Great Atmosphere, lots of very talented employees who love what they do.

Cons

None that I can think of.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Don't waste your time

Nov 4, 2021 - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of people in the company struggling with the same problems.

Cons

This is an old school construction company that refuses to live in the present day. It's an unfair and bigoted work environment. Everyone is overworked and underpaid, unless you are in a higher level position and have a team of underpaid people doing all of your work. (They can then collect the huge bonus). Everyone is unhappy and miserable so there are a lot of free lunches and little perks to try to get people to forget how much they are taken advantage of. The HR department is fake and has no real power because this is a private company. Most of your time will be spent doing reports for the "higher-ups" so they can appear to know what they're talking about while begging for new work from their rich friends.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Although our regular employee engagement surveys indicate our team members greatly value and enjoy their work environment and teammates, we recognize there is always room to improve. As we continue our exciting and significant growth, we remain focused on innovation and technology to help support our teams and balance workload. We would appreciate an opportunity to discuss with you your specific experience in a manner that will help us learn and improve. Please reach out directly to HR@bulley.com to discuss further.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Dec 11, 2021 - Field Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome company and great people

Cons

None that come to mind

9. 5.0

Great Company

Nov 29, 2021 - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice place to work and people are very friendly

Cons

We need more paid Holidays

HR Director

Thank you! This past year we added a multi-cultural diversity holiday. Also, don't forget to use your "wellness" day. Once you complete your annual physical, provide documentation to the HR department and you will receive an additional 8 hours of paid time off.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fine Company

Nov 16, 2021 - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Diversity is pushed for, and they do better than most.

Cons

Couldnt tap into the "cool kids" group

HR Department

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to push for improvements in our diversity and equity efforts, both internal and external.

11. 4.0

Not bad, not great

Oct 6, 2021 - Project Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of great people work here Exciting and unique projects Lots of free food and opportunities for outings

Cons

Hard to move up the chain Some bad senior managers that can do whatever they want.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews
</>Embed

Bulley & Andrews Reviews FAQs

Bulley & Andrews has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 46 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Bulley & Andrews to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Bulley & Andrews employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Bulley & Andrews. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

71% of Bulley & Andrews employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Bulley & Andrews 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Bulley & Andrews to be diversity and inclusion, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with Bulley & Andrews Job Seekers