Bullhorn Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

4.6
Bullhorn Founder & CEO Art Papas
Art Papas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This company is winning at work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The perks are great as you really get chances to meet and engage with fellow coworkers free lunch on Wednesdays and first Thursday outings (in 18 reviews)

"Inside Sales 2+ Years"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Bullhorn as my first job in the BDR role. I eventually was promoted to the Account Executive role, and stayed for just over two years. Bullhorn does have an awesome company culture, and I have made a lot of great friends here over the years. A big reason I liked coming to work was that I enjoyed being around my team every day. In terms of the product itself, I felt I was able to truly speak to the value of the solution, and I felt confident when pitching it day to day. Bullhorn does improve businesses, and I could stand behind that. There have been many improvements within the time I was employed here. Upper Management seems to make a large effort in getting to know their employees, which is huge. As we all know that is not always the case in some companies, and it truly makes a difference in the employee experience. The CEO stands strong to the company mission: “Creating an incredible customer experience”. He also brings this attitude when leading his employees, and creates a great experience for them as well.

Cons

Every company is going to make changes, and adapt to the outside (economical, competitive, industry) influences. Employees need to understand that this will happen any company, and it should. Change is good, as much as some may disagree. I think that Bullhorn can do a better job of positioning these internal shifts, and giving a full explanation on why they are happening for the health of the business. A formal announcement prior to changes could be a good move, avoiding assumptions amongst employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open about company insights, updates, and health of the business overall. I liked that upper management was open to feedback, and would interact with me on a daily basis. As stated above, just be as clear with employees as possible.

Jun 19, 2017 – CEO

I'm so glad to hear you feel this way about the company and culture. It means a lot to me. And, thank you for the feedback regarding how we communicate changes.

"Couldn't be happier"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bullhorn has a great development culture. Lots of autonomy to solve difficult problems. Cutting edge technologies (we just rebuilt our app in Angular2!). Great colleagues. Management really cares about career paths.

Cons

Equally demanding. I suppose that's not bad, but this isn't a place you can hide and mail it in.

Advice to Management

Keep staying connected with your employees

"Great and friendly people. Touching the breaks as a business."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many good people. Fun and friendly. For the first year+ I was there, I would walk out of the office at days end already excited to get back in there the next morning. I learned quite a bit from both teammates and managers and its was awesome to represent a product that was truly the best in the industry.

Cons

I noticed some drop off toward the end of my time at Bullhorn. Since the move to the new HQ there were so many cutbacks or changes that may seem small by themselves, but when added together really created a feeling that the company momentum was seriously slowing. Could be general growing pains or just a funky stage we were in, but often it felt like a serious spin zone on the truth and it made me question where the company was headed. The first 18 months I worked at Bullhorn I would recommend the company without hesitation. I don't have that same confidence today.

Advice to Management

Stay staffing focused. Provide real career growth opportunity- don't just talk about it. Be more honest about bumps in the road because the spin tactics just became annoying.

Jun 20, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

First, thank you for the 4-star review. Our move to the new HQ doubled our footprint in Boston, which did mean changes from how we ran the office at Farnsworth; you may have interpreted these small... More

"Control of my career"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Never before Bullhorn did I feel like I really could own the direction of my work or had control of my career. I learned quickly that succeeding at Bullhorn had to do with taking the wheel and driving. You're in charge of whether you excel or not, and have great leaders that help guide you.

Cons

There seem to be a lot of energy vampires lately. Negativity breeds negativity, and the few that are unhappy bring down the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Keep being encouraging and believing in the employees here. Don't feel like your hard work to make Bullhorn a great place to work isn't effective because of the naysayers.

"Ideal Employer / Employee Relationship"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For over 10 years, Bullhorn has continuously provided opportunities that have allowed me to remain challenged and continue to grow my career. Feedback has been a two way street at Bullhorn. Management genuinely cares about their employees and employees genuinely care about Bullhorn. The care originates with the CEO and has become part of the culture of Bullhorn.

Cons

Whenever an obstacle or challenge appears, Bullhorn has been open to working with employees to overcome that hurdle. Bullhorn has even asked employees for ideas on solving some of the challenges it has faced. This approach has allowed employees to take greater ownership of their path at Bullhorn.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask employees what is working and why they love Bullhorn. Continue to recognize employees, even with a text or an email - it means a lot.

"Couldn't ask for a better culture and employee-centric company"

I worked at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Bullhorn should put on a workshop for how to evolve a startup. The work/life balance is fantastic, (evolved far past individual contributors working in the "wild west"), HR and line level managers are insanely active in breeding, retaining, and challenging individual contributors, and the perks are fantastic. Honestly, the exec team literally works for their customers and their employees 24/7. The transparency and vision delivered by Art Papas at townhalls is literally a breath of fresh air and his actions are always in the best interests of the aforementioned. HR is beyond approachable and always has an open door. People are smiling, and work is just fun.

Cons

With coming into the shining period of Bullhorn, it's time for refinement. The "overhead" like process, standardization of knowledge bases, and a real push for cross-team development will be what takes Bullhorn from a great company to unparalleled within the space. Take the great messaging at the c-level and continue it through directors and managers; the more everyone is singing the same song, the better.

Advice to Management

Honestly, there's little additional advice to give. Things like skip-level meetings and more cross-functional team driving will ease some of the remaining gaps in process and workflows. Something admirable is that you all own the mantra "If you're going to fail, fail fast" with new initiatives and testing the waters with new ideas. I know this might shake individual contributors and line level managers, but this is beyond the right thing to do. Continue to deliver clear messaging around this and keep daring to fail and daring to be great.

"Never The Same Job Two Years in a Row"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Incredible culture and people. People are really passionate about the customers, the products and the service. What I love the most is that every year, there's a new challenge. It feels like a new job every year even if your role isn't changing. I absolutely love working at Bullhorn.

Cons

6 months ago, I would have said that some of the top leadership doesn't really live by the core values. There have been some recent changes and I think that's taken a positive turn.

Advice to Management

Don't mess this up!

Feb 16, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I love that you use the word "passion" - that's a common theme in what makes the people and products of Bullhorn so incredible.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work - life balance, good benefits, flexible hours, cooperative environment.

Cons

lower compensation, inconsistent interdepartmental communication

Feb 16, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Improving communication between departments is a big focus for us; thank you for keeping the topic top of mind! In terms of compensation, per Art's town hall message last week, talk to your manager... More

"My second home"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my 5th year with Bullhorn and let me tell you what an amazing journey it was. It's an incredible company, with great products and an awesome executive team.

Bullhorn sharpened my skills, work ethics and helped me become better at what I do. We hired amazing people who I became friends with over the past few years. However, shortly after I joined the organization, we acquired two great companies and went through lots of change. We created new processes, sometimes failed, but never gave up. We knew we wanted to be the best and worked our way through some rough times and tough challenges but succeeded. I saw people work hard individually, as teams and as a global business every day - which all got us to a point that makes everyone proud today.

We're one of the best companies to work for, one of the most amazing companies in Boston and we put together the best events in the Staffing & Recruiting industry worldwide. How cool is that!

I'm just a sales rep, and I love my job! I love to work hard and I love our products. Our CEO created a fantastic culture and workplace which became my second home. I love to see the company grow quarter after quarter and knowing that I can grow with it makes me want to work even better and harder, as I know that there will always be opportunity.

Cons

There is three things I'd like to bring up - not big cons, but definitely something we should improve on.

Since we're a fast paced environment, people would use some opportunities to cut corners or pass the buck to get something off of their plates. Ownership, which is our #1 core value, needs to be better executed on.

It can be a stressuful environment (especially around the end of the month/quarter/year) - if you're not consistent, well organized or motivated every single day, you might have to have difficult conversations with your manager. I think we should focus more on consistency and not push people to their limits through the last few weeks of a quarter but help them perform better on a daily basis.

Sometimes it feels like individual contributions are taken for granted by management, and you don't feel appreciated for what you've done. It would be nice to be rewarded for going 'above and beyond', or working out of the box to accomplish great things.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the hard work the entire management team puts into creating an incredible employee experience, but I'd love to see more focus put onto ownership and motivating people. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2017 – VP, Human Resouces and Talent

You will hear more from us around recognition. Thank you for the great review.

10. "Unbelieve Opportunity for the Motivated & Upbeat"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

From a workflow standpoint, the leadership is incredibly accessible - that creates a well-oiled work environment that fosters immense production

Great variety of benefits which include weekly free breakfast and lunch, monthly social outings, fruit and ceral, and the usuals (health care, 401k, etc.)

The people here really care about the work that they do and the people they work with -- love this

Cons

Sort of a pro but because the work environment fosters great interest in the work that you do, work-life balance can take a hit

There is a certain culture, which HR does a good job to find a good fit, but I can see how if a person didn't fit into the culture, heavy socializing with co-workers, it could be a lonely experience

Advice to Management

Go out of your way to introduce yourself to new hires. Despite being busy, it's your job to make people who you work directly with comfortable. I know you all are extremely friendly but take the initiative with new hires - it'll make a lasting impression.

Dec 8, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Your advice to management is so simple but so effective, and something that we can all put more effort into. Having leaders that are in touch with all employees is one of the great things about... More