Bullhorn Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Upper-management is very approachable and they really are committed to maintaining a great culture (in 15 reviews)

• This company is winning at work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons

"Vice President Sales, Enterprise North America"

Former Employee - Vice President, Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President, Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bullhorn embodies the quintessential Boston based tech company. The people are "wicked" smart and always pushing for innovation on the product. In addition to a killer product portfolio, Bullhorn is a true partner to the staffing industry. They understand that Bullhorn ATC/CRM allows for people all over the world to find meaningful work.

Cons

I was remote, which could be difficult, but we used many forms of collaborative communication like video chat which helped. Because I am an extrovert, I found this to be challenging but it's not a knock in any way against Bullhorn, just my own preference of work style.

Advice to Management

Spoil the heck out of your great people. I know they feel appreciated for their hard work, but with competition being fierce, the easiest way to protect your most valuable commodity (talent) is through continuous and meaningful recognition.

Apr 27, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Great insight on working remotely, especially as more of our workforce is collaborating across time zones. Your advice is spot-on, and duly noted! :)

"Ideal Employer / Employee Relationship"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For over 10 years, Bullhorn has continuously provided opportunities that have allowed me to remain challenged and continue to grow my career. Feedback has been a two way street at Bullhorn. Management genuinely cares about their employees and employees genuinely care about Bullhorn. The care originates with the CEO and has become part of the culture of Bullhorn.

Cons

Whenever an obstacle or challenge appears, Bullhorn has been open to working with employees to overcome that hurdle. Bullhorn has even asked employees for ideas on solving some of the challenges it has faced. This approach has allowed employees to take greater ownership of their path at Bullhorn.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask employees what is working and why they love Bullhorn. Continue to recognize employees, even with a text or an email - it means a lot.

"Couldn't ask for a better culture and employee-centric company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Bullhorn should put on a workshop for how to evolve a startup. The work/life balance is fantastic, (evolved far past individual contributors working in the "wild west"), HR and line level managers are insanely active in breeding, retaining, and challenging individual contributors, and the perks are fantastic. Honestly, the exec team literally works for their customers and their employees 24/7. The transparency and vision delivered by Art Papas at townhalls is literally a breath of fresh air and his actions are always in the best interests of the aforementioned. HR is beyond approachable and always has an open door. People are smiling, and work is just fun.

Cons

With coming into the shining period of Bullhorn, it's time for refinement. The "overhead" like process, standardization of knowledge bases, and a real push for cross-team development will be what takes Bullhorn from a great company to unparalleled within the space. Take the great messaging at the c-level and continue it through directors and managers; the more everyone is singing the same song, the better.

Advice to Management

Honestly, there's little additional advice to give. Things like skip-level meetings and more cross-functional team driving will ease some of the remaining gaps in process and workflows. Something admirable is that you all own the mantra "If you're going to fail, fail fast" with new initiatives and testing the waters with new ideas. I know this might shake individual contributors and line level managers, but this is beyond the right thing to do. Continue to deliver clear messaging around this and keep daring to fail and daring to be great.

"Never The Same Job Two Years in a Row"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Incredible culture and people. People are really passionate about the customers, the products and the service. What I love the most is that every year, there's a new challenge. It feels like a new job every year even if your role isn't changing. I absolutely love working at Bullhorn.

Cons

6 months ago, I would have said that some of the top leadership doesn't really live by the core values. There have been some recent changes and I think that's taken a positive turn.

Advice to Management

Don't mess this up!

Feb 16, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I love that you use the word "passion" - that's a common theme in what makes the people and products of Bullhorn so incredible.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work - life balance, good benefits, flexible hours, cooperative environment.

Cons

lower compensation, inconsistent interdepartmental communication

Feb 16, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Improving communication between departments is a big focus for us; thank you for keeping the topic top of mind! In terms of compensation, per Art's town hall message last week, talk to your manager ... More

"My second home"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my 5th year with Bullhorn and let me tell you what an amazing journey it was. It's an incredible company, with great products and an awesome executive team.

Bullhorn sharpened my skills, work ethics and helped me become better at what I do. We hired amazing people who I became friends with over the past few years. However, shortly after I joined the organization, we acquired two great companies and went through lots of change. We created new processes, sometimes failed, but never gave up. We knew we wanted to be the best and worked our way through some rough times and tough challenges but succeeded. I saw people work hard individually, as teams and as a global business every day - which all got us to a point that makes everyone proud today.

We're one of the best companies to work for, one of the most amazing companies in Boston and we put together the best events in the Staffing & Recruiting industry worldwide. How cool is that!

I'm just a sales rep, and I love my job! I love to work hard and I love our products. Our CEO created a fantastic culture and workplace which became my second home. I love to see the company grow quarter after quarter and knowing that I can grow with it makes me want to work even better and harder, as I know that there will always be opportunity.

Cons

There is three things I'd like to bring up - not big cons, but definitely something we should improve on.

Since we're a fast paced environment, people would use some opportunities to cut corners or pass the buck to get something off of their plates. Ownership, which is our #1 core value, needs to be better executed on.

It can be a stressuful environment (especially around the end of the month/quarter/year) - if you're not consistent, well organized or motivated every single day, you might have to have difficult conversations with your manager. I think we should focus more on consistency and not push people to their limits through the last few weeks of a quarter but help them perform better on a daily basis.

Sometimes it feels like individual contributions are taken for granted by management, and you don't feel appreciated for what you've done. It would be nice to be rewarded for going 'above and beyond', or working out of the box to accomplish great things.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the hard work the entire management team puts into creating an incredible employee experience, but I'd love to see more focus put onto ownership and motivating people. Thank you.

Jan 28, 2017 – VP, Human Resouces and Talent

You will hear more from us around recognition. Thank you for the great review.

"Fun Environment/People, poor pay"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are really fun to work with and we get good benefits and there are perks such as lunch on Wednesday and breakfast on Friday. We go out for drinks on the company every first Thursday of a month.

Cons

A little too driven on experience when promoting. For younger people with little to no experience, it feels hard to make solid moves within the organization. Pay is low for the work we are expected to perform. The job can feel like a call center from time to time.

Advice to Management

Push for the advancement of your younger, brighter employees as their experience and drive at a young age is strong and deserving.

Oct 7, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Promotions aren't awarded from time in role, but from becoming an expert at mastering various situations and issues- many of which you'll only experience as you gain tenure in your position. If there ... More

"Best Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just about everything about working at Bullhorn is pretty awesome. From the benefits to the learning and growth opportunities to culture and team members, everything is great. It is somewhere you can really grow and learn new things and implement change if you put the work in.

Cons

The only downside is they say there are a lot of promotions, and there are, but they are all entry level to mid-level, and mid-level to senior level. In some roles, once you hit senior level, there is not as much movement. Some development processes were a bit of a mess, but it has and is improving a lot.

Sep 13, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Your "cons" explanation is very helpful, especially as we are building out career paths in our various departments. Some employees do not want to be people managers, but should still have places to ... More

10. "Unbelieve Opportunity for the Motivated & Upbeat"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

From a workflow standpoint, the leadership is incredibly accessible - that creates a well-oiled work environment that fosters immense production

Great variety of benefits which include weekly free breakfast and lunch, monthly social outings, fruit and ceral, and the usuals (health care, 401k, etc.)

The people here really care about the work that they do and the people they work with -- love this

Cons

Sort of a pro but because the work environment fosters great interest in the work that you do, work-life balance can take a hit

There is a certain culture, which HR does a good job to find a good fit, but I can see how if a person didn't fit into the culture, heavy socializing with co-workers, it could be a lonely experience

Advice to Management

Go out of your way to introduce yourself to new hires. Despite being busy, it's your job to make people who you work directly with comfortable. I know you all are extremely friendly but take the initiative with new hires - it'll make a lasting impression.

Dec 8, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Your advice to management is so simple but so effective, and something that we can all put more effort into. Having leaders that are in touch with all employees is one of the great things about ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

FIrst and foremost, the environment is great. Feel like the company really cares for the employees. Get some pretty cool perks like weekly breakfast and lunch and unlimited vacation days. Like the people here. Seems to have a good direction.

Cons

Nothing really stands out as a big con. If anything, there may be some cliques based on departments, but thats all that I can think of.

Sep 13, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Great people like you make our environment as awesome as it is!