Bullhorn Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Bullhorn Founder & CEO Art Papas
Art Papas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This company is winning at work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The perks are great as you really get chances to meet and engage with fellow coworkers free lunch on Wednesdays and first Thursday outings (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between departments isn't what it could be, but that's something management has identified and is actually working to improve currently (in 7 reviews)

• It's a fast paced environment where things change on the dime; some may view that as a con (in 7 reviews)

1. "Financial Associate"

Pros

Great people, great work, great environment

Cons

A lot of in office messaging

Oct 30, 2017 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

I agree with you, we work with great people in a great environment! I'd love to understand what you mean by in office messaging. If you feel comfortable please reach out to me at... More

"Motivation and Goals are Supported by everyone!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the first company I have ever been with that is not just thinking about their best interests but also my own. We have weekly one on ones with management where we are asked what we want to do, not only within the context of Bullhorn but long term. The fact that they have such a vested interested in my personal and professional happiness means a lot to me.

Unlimited PTO is fantastic and allows for flexibility in planning for the unexpected and for a better work life balance.

The team I work with is amazing and I feel supported on a daily basis. Being in sales it is very competitive but my co-workers will go out of their way to help me in anyway they can.

Cons

Base pay could be a little higher taking into account that there is no on-site parking for those who commute out of the city (while they do offer programs which reimburse for pre-tax commuter costs) as well as the fact that the cost of living in Boston these days is ABSURD.

Advice to Management

n/a

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Your opening statement is such a great validation of the way we work to ensure an incredible employee experience. It sounds like your leaders are doing an awesome job in helping you navigate your... More

"Bullhorn"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO (when approved by your supervisor)

Cons

Very few growth opportunities for female managers (its a boys club vibe which is typical for the tech space) Management lacks experience and is unable to deliver constructive feedback. Bullhorn is ok when you're drinking the kool-aid but the truth is that there is a rampant sexism/harassment problem that is continuously swept under the rug by HR. Promotions are often political and not earned. As far as compensation goes, Bullhorn will continue to lose exceptional talent to other competitive companies here in St. Louis.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees

Nov 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Its really unfortunate that you’ve left Bullhorn feeling this way. This is not at all reflective of the environment we have worked hard to create. We take any claims of harassment very seriously. We... More

"Great career launchpad"

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an incredible culture and group of people to work with. Very young company for better or for worse but from a product and infrastructure perspective things seem to be heading in the right direction. Lots of extracurricular activities, holiday/summer outings, 'first thursday' bar outings, free lunch wednesday and breakfast friday. Benefits are great as well!

From a career growth perspective Bullhorn is a good place to start, and it seems they actually prefer to pull fresh meat straight out of school. I worked in a few different roles in my time with the company but I didn't feel trapped or cornered (until the end). Gained a ton of critical experience that will likely be relevant for the rest of my career in software

Cons

There is an assumption that you will drop anything at any hour to get something done- while in most cases this is just a part of being a working adult, there are boundaries that are not respected and work/life balance definitely goes out the window.

Interdepartmental communication needs to improve, along with the general concept that it is possible for two groups to work together to achieve a common goal, even when a benefit to your group might not be immediately visible. When conversations occur and an 'out' is spotted, middle management tends to jump on that 'out' so that they don't need to allocate resources/do extra work

Interdepartmental 'respect' needs to improve as well- I've had a manager from another department come into a 1:1 with my own manager (unexpectedly) to gripe (at me). Not every department operates this way, but there are a few where it is prevalent and incredibly frustrating

Advice to Management

Make a better effort to break down the walls between departments, more than handing out a slogan and a book- work with the management team and help them see how/where they can improve. Enable teams to be more flexible so that they can support customers, and more importantly Bullhorn itself, faster and more effectively

Oct 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for this feedback. I’d love to hear more about some of these issues in detail. Would you feel comfortable sharing them with me or HR?

5. "Great benefits"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Health, dental, and vision are great and the cost is largely covered by the company. Employee contributions are around 10% of premiums.

401k matches are generous, up to 3% of salary.

Maternity/paternity leave are quite generous.

Fringe benefits include sponsored company outings each month, annual outings, and a holiday party.

Wednesday lunch and Friday breakfast are provided.

Cons

No education reimbursement at the moment.

401k match could be higher.

Advice to Management

Offer subsidized continuing education opportunities.

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We are always examining our benefits offerings; thank you for this feedback! While we do not have a formal tuition reimbursement program, please bring up to your manager opportunities you come across... More

"Decent company to start career"

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bullhorn is very driven to grow their products and features. Mostly younger workforce with good ideas flowing throughout. Free lunch Wednesday and breakfast on Friday, summer outing, holiday party, decent bonuses across most departments (from what I hear), great medical/dental/401k match, and some really nice people to work with. Decent diversity in the workforce and promoting females in tech is awesome. Lots of recent entry level job openings which is great for college grads looking to get into tech/SaaS. Pay is average and sometimes a bit lower (just click the Salary tab in Glassdoor to get a sense of that).

Cons

Lots of turnover in the past year, budgets seem to be cut by a lot, and currently hearing about parent company potentially looking to sell the company (which makes sense of the budget trimming). Middle management has been filled with people being promoted over the years and some seem to not know how to manage (there used to be a leadership program but have not heard about it that much in the past year). Focusing on fixing a communication issue which seems heavily related to partner programs and over-promising customer deliverables (which definitely flows all the way down from Product Mgmt, Dev, BTO, and Support).

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees on what is going on with the company. Listen to feedback from all employees and not just focus on the communication component that was seemingly causing problems in the past (still happening presently?). Don't have people read a book to try and fix this. Literally grab the bull by the horns and stay the course.

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I'm glad Bullhorn was a good place for you to start your career; as you recognize, we are committed to hiring amazing entry-level talent and being a pioneering environment for women in tech. While I... More

7. "Lives up to the hype"

Current Employee - Senior Training Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Training Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can laugh and engage with co-workers consistently while getting the job done. Management supports creative ideas and solutions. Each person is encouraged and expected to own problems to make our internal experience better, as well as our client experience.

Cons

Parking in Clayton is sparse and expensive

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

YES! Right on- I love this visual and it's so true. We all work so hard but have fun doing it, and truly owning our contribution to Bullhorn's success.

8. "Exceeds expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I read the reviews on glassdoor before my interview and was a little bit skeptical because they were so good. I've been with the company a little over a year now and it has exceeded expectations. The people and the environment are the best that I have been a part of.

Cons

Not really the company's fault, but it's my first time working in Clayton and I have to pay for parking.

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for contributing to our good reviews- and I'm glad you gave us a chance despite them! ;) Your parking comment seems to be common for the Clayton office; we'll continue to look into... More

"Dedicated to an Incredible (Internal & External) Customer Experience"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High-fives, fist bumps, and general congratulatory atmosphere when colleagues achieve successes. Living core values with pride and genuine excitement across the org when we crush a client deliverable. In its growth phase, awesome opportunity to contribute beyond ones role, paving the way for advancement, and exposure to roles and responsibilities one might not yet be qualified for on paper. Leadership who care about the human behind the work and encourage balance with personal/family life. In-office gym encourages healthy lifestyle & our women's group, HERd hits social and professional needs.

Cons

Cross-department collaboration has been a challenge in the past; working through that in earnest with specific, actionable plan and a clear expectation from top leadership that this is important. Resourcing and streamlined processes have been areas of opportunity creating less-optimal balance with work-life; both have been actively addressed. Only real con today is that I travel too much, so have been missing colleagues back home!

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging individuals to take risks and make suggestions. It's awesome knowing we have a "safe zone" to try new things and there's a general openness to suggestions. This allows us the opportunity and responsibility to keep from keeping "below the line" with complaints, encouraging the "above the line" active involvement in the path to improvement.

"Sr. Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bullhorn has taken the time to document processes so coming in as a new employee doesn't take long to get ramped up. The Management is there when you need them but not overbearing or micro managing you.
    The people that work at Bullhorn in my building as well as other locations are extremely helpful and friendly. The culture is unique in current workplaces. Bullhorn promotes people quickly and makes sure you know your options for career path. The employees truly enjoy being around each other. For a company this size I have never seen any office politics taking place. Food is provided frequently and happy hours monthly, it is a great way to get to know people from other departments.

Cons

I have found only a few cons and they are related to my position not to the overall organization. Additional interfaces are needed between software solutions being used to eliminate duplicate entry - Management is aware of this and plans are in place to take care of it.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about the employees. Because you care the employees are happy and truly care about our clients.