Bullhorn Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Bullhorn Founder & CEO Art Papas
Art Papas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This company is winning at work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The perks are great as you really get chances to meet and engage with fellow coworkers free lunch on Wednesdays and first Thursday outings (in 20 reviews)

"Current Employee Review"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are far and away the best part of working at Bullhorn, and always have been. If I didn't love the people I work with, I probably wouldn't still be here. Everyone buys into the company mission of providing an incredible customer experience and it really makes a big difference. There's a lot of energy and things always move quickly. It's a real work hard and play hard environment. No matter what role you're coming into, if you perform well and work hard there will be lots of opportunities for promotions and career growth. Every company struggles in some areas, but Bullhorn is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge in some departments. Everyone buying into the mission is the rock we can lean upon, but as the company has rapidly grown there are difficulties and inefficiencies in communications between departments. By extension, internal processes can be hampering. Some teams are perpetually understaffed. The employee scorecard system is conceptually and fundamentally flawed.

Advice to Management

Transparency. Not only between departments, but also providing more than high-level quarterly updates on the direction the company is moving and the strategies being used to accomplish those goals. Talk more regularly with middle managers, especially around staffing and resource concerns. Work harder to foster better relationships across teams and departments. Own accountability and lead from the top -- don't make people read a book and expect problems to fix themselves.

Jan 16, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Bullhorn employees ARE amazing, and together we can tackle the issues you're identifying. Everyone has a say, and I encourage you to bring forth ideas to improve inefficiencies and resource gaps... More

"Bullhorn - The Career Launching Pad"

Current Employee - Director, PMO in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director, PMO in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity to grow your career at Bullhorn is second to none. I entered the company as an entry level Support Analyst and have been able to work my way up to a Director level, currently running our PMO and Customer Success teams. Time and time again, Bullhorn has showed that if you can prove yourself as a solid contributor, they will reward you with new opportunities, as their track record shows they'd absolutely prefer to promote internally over hiring externally.

Additionally, when I joined Bullhorn we were not the worldwide leader in our space, so there was this hunger, drive and almost 'underdog' mentality that propelled the work ethic of the people - an attitude/perspective that I loved. Eight years later (and now the worldwide leaders in our space), that same mentality has not left the company, which I attribute to why we've been so successful and one of the main reasons I enjoy working here so much.

Cons

Not a con, but a potential risk. Bullhorn is currently in hyper-growth mode, so we just need to be conscious in ensuring we are onboarding and integrating our new people effectively. To date, we've done this well, but it will require constant vigilance and focus to continue.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what your doing! I love the transparency the company operates with - it makes the employees feel as if they are involved in the decision making process.

Jan 16, 2018 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

Thank you so much! You are a huge asset to Bullhorn and we love that you have been so successful here.
    Thank you for your feedback on onboarding and integrating new employees. That is a big focus... More

"Happy to come to work each day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people that really care about doing a good job. And it just feels happy here.

Cons

Some new to working world that expect everything handed to them. Not sure this is isolated to Bullhorn though.

Advice to Management

I see a lot of effort being put into womens groups, cultural celebrations, hiring more people that don't look like everyone else. Don't slow down.

Nov 21, 2017 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

I love that you are happy to come to work each day! We are excited for what is to come with the Herd and Allies Board. Let us know if you'd like to get involved!

4. "Financial Associate"

Pros

Great people, great work, great environment

Cons

A lot of in office messaging

Oct 30, 2017 – Talent and Engagement Specialist

I agree with you, we work with great people in a great environment! I'd love to understand what you mean by in office messaging. If you feel comfortable please reach out to me at... More

"Sub-par"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Brand-new, modern office space

Cons

-High turn-over
    -Young people managing young people. Frat culture was not a good fit for all personalities
    - Lack of professionalism in the office
    -Unrealistic goals and expectations used as driving force
    -Human Resources is useless

Advice to Management

Managers need to be trained

Nov 21, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Wow, something is off here; it doesn't sound like you're talking about Bullhorn. This says you're a current employee- can you reach out to me to discuss what's going on? s.greenwell@bullhorn.com... More

"Bullhorn"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO (when approved by your supervisor)

Cons

Very few growth opportunities for female managers (its a boys club vibe which is typical for the tech space) Management lacks experience and is unable to deliver constructive feedback. Bullhorn is ok when you're drinking the kool-aid but the truth is that there is a rampant sexism/harassment problem that is continuously swept under the rug by HR. Promotions are often political and not earned. As far as compensation goes, Bullhorn will continue to lose exceptional talent to other competitive companies here in St. Louis.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees

Nov 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Its really unfortunate that you’ve left Bullhorn feeling this way. This is not at all reflective of the environment we have worked hard to create. We take any claims of harassment very seriously. We... More

"Motivation and Goals are Supported by everyone!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the first company I have ever been with that is not just thinking about their best interests but also my own. We have weekly one on ones with management where we are asked what we want to do, not only within the context of Bullhorn but long term. The fact that they have such a vested interested in my personal and professional happiness means a lot to me.

Unlimited PTO is fantastic and allows for flexibility in planning for the unexpected and for a better work life balance.

The team I work with is amazing and I feel supported on a daily basis. Being in sales it is very competitive but my co-workers will go out of their way to help me in anyway they can.

Cons

Base pay could be a little higher taking into account that there is no on-site parking for those who commute out of the city (while they do offer programs which reimburse for pre-tax commuter costs) as well as the fact that the cost of living in Boston these days is ABSURD.

Advice to Management

n/a

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Your opening statement is such a great validation of the way we work to ensure an incredible employee experience. It sounds like your leaders are doing an awesome job in helping you navigate your... More

"Great career launchpad"

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an incredible culture and group of people to work with. Very young company for better or for worse but from a product and infrastructure perspective things seem to be heading in the right direction. Lots of extracurricular activities, holiday/summer outings, 'first thursday' bar outings, free lunch wednesday and breakfast friday. Benefits are great as well!

From a career growth perspective Bullhorn is a good place to start, and it seems they actually prefer to pull fresh meat straight out of school. I worked in a few different roles in my time with the company but I didn't feel trapped or cornered (until the end). Gained a ton of critical experience that will likely be relevant for the rest of my career in software

Cons

There is an assumption that you will drop anything at any hour to get something done- while in most cases this is just a part of being a working adult, there are boundaries that are not respected and work/life balance definitely goes out the window.

Interdepartmental communication needs to improve, along with the general concept that it is possible for two groups to work together to achieve a common goal, even when a benefit to your group might not be immediately visible. When conversations occur and an 'out' is spotted, middle management tends to jump on that 'out' so that they don't need to allocate resources/do extra work

Interdepartmental 'respect' needs to improve as well- I've had a manager from another department come into a 1:1 with my own manager (unexpectedly) to gripe (at me). Not every department operates this way, but there are a few where it is prevalent and incredibly frustrating

Advice to Management

Make a better effort to break down the walls between departments, more than handing out a slogan and a book- work with the management team and help them see how/where they can improve. Enable teams to be more flexible so that they can support customers, and more importantly Bullhorn itself, faster and more effectively

Oct 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for this feedback. I’d love to hear more about some of these issues in detail. Would you feel comfortable sharing them with me or HR?

"Decent company to start career"

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bullhorn is very driven to grow their products and features. Mostly younger workforce with good ideas flowing throughout. Free lunch Wednesday and breakfast on Friday, summer outing, holiday party, decent bonuses across most departments (from what I hear), great medical/dental/401k match, and some really nice people to work with. Decent diversity in the workforce and promoting females in tech is awesome. Lots of recent entry level job openings which is great for college grads looking to get into tech/SaaS. Pay is average and sometimes a bit lower (just click the Salary tab in Glassdoor to get a sense of that).

Cons

Lots of turnover in the past year, budgets seem to be cut by a lot, and currently hearing about parent company potentially looking to sell the company (which makes sense of the budget trimming). Middle management has been filled with people being promoted over the years and some seem to not know how to manage (there used to be a leadership program but have not heard about it that much in the past year). Focusing on fixing a communication issue which seems heavily related to partner programs and over-promising customer deliverables (which definitely flows all the way down from Product Mgmt, Dev, BTO, and Support).

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees on what is going on with the company. Listen to feedback from all employees and not just focus on the communication component that was seemingly causing problems in the past (still happening presently?). Don't have people read a book to try and fix this. Literally grab the bull by the horns and stay the course.

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I'm glad Bullhorn was a good place for you to start your career; as you recognize, we are committed to hiring amazing entry-level talent and being a pioneering environment for women in tech. While I... More

10. "Great benefits"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Health, dental, and vision are great and the cost is largely covered by the company. Employee contributions are around 10% of premiums.

401k matches are generous, up to 3% of salary.

Maternity/paternity leave are quite generous.

Fringe benefits include sponsored company outings each month, annual outings, and a holiday party.

Wednesday lunch and Friday breakfast are provided.

Cons

No education reimbursement at the moment.

401k match could be higher.

Advice to Management

Offer subsidized continuing education opportunities.

Oct 25, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We are always examining our benefits offerings; thank you for this feedback! While we do not have a formal tuition reimbursement program, please bring up to your manager opportunities you come across... More