Bullhorn Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Bullhorn Founder & CEO Art Papas
Art Papas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great at managing work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "The commitment to employee development and continuing a great culture seems to always be at the forefront of the Senior Leaderships initiatives" (in 21 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great deal of freedom in Bullhorn's work environment. Self-motivated individuals who enjoy problem solving thrive in this environment. Management is also extremely receptive to suggestions regarding improvements. The result is that you have a large number of highly motivated individuals dedicated to improving the company and ultimately the customer's experience. I have not worked with a better group of people!

It doesn't hurt that we are also given a great benefits package!

Cons

I cannot think of anything worth mentioning.

"Marketing Operations Specialist"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bullhorn has nailed its corporate culture. Everyone does their job well and has fun doing it, because they can be their full selves at work. Bullhorn really cares about the development of its employees.

Cons

Bullhorn has been growing like crazy, so there have been some growing pains, but senior management has reacted appropriately, and the pains are subsiding.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on an incredible employee experience and they will continue to create an incredible customer experience.

"Great People and Career Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Support in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Support in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Career Growth:
    The career growth opportunities in Support continue to expand as we grow as a company, which has been extremely exciting to watch. My team primarily hires internally from the Support organization, so it’s always exciting to celebrate these promotions. I really enjoy coaching and developing my team to grow their career - I've promoted many people over the years, which is the best part about my job. My own career has expanded at Bullhorn – I started fresh out of college as an analyst and 10 years later, I'm a Sr. Director. I've always felt supported by my boss, challenged in my role, and have enjoyed taking on more responsibility over the years.

The People:
    I really enjoy the people who work here – I have some close colleagues who I consider very close friends. The people on my team are incredibly welcoming to new coworkers, listen to each other’s ideas, share funny animal gifs, and are always willing to lend a hand.

Culture & Benefits:
    I love having unlimited PTO and our benefits are great. It’s a nice plus to have lunch and breakfast each week, and I love my standing desk. I’m also pretty involved in the HERd (Bullhorn women’s group) and attend our Allies and BullhornCares events. Bullhorn has a mission to ensure every employee has a sense of belonging, a voice, and clear path for success – there are a lot of ongoing initiatives to support this mission and it feels good to be part of a company that is committed to creating a happy and safe space for employees.

Cons

Fast Paced:
    Bullhorn is growing fast and as a result, there have been some growing pains. I enjoy the fast paced environment, but it’s not for everyone. There are employee surveys, quarterly town halls, and company/office wide Slack channels to learn about all the changes, ask questions, or voice concerns.

4. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're looking to work for an honest, fast-paced, passionate, and smart company, then Bullhorn is an excellent choice. The people and culture here are absolutely amazing. Leadership and peers alike not only care about your success professionally, but also personally. During my time at Bullhorn there was a renewed and dedicated mission to create an incredible customer experience, and while we weren't always perfect, I can honestly say everyone is behind that mission and works hard to get it right. Work hard, build relationships and you won't be disappointed by your experience at Bullhorn.

Cons

Things move pretty quickly, especially over the past few years with recent acquisitions. If a fast-paced environment and/or change concern you, then Bullhorn probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the amazing culture you've built that's centered around ownership and customers and Bullhorn will continue to do great things!

"Amazing Progression"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bullhorn offers an incredible opportunity to progress, I've had amazing training and development opportunities. The business encourages many people from different departments to communicate and work together, there is a great social scene at Bullhorn which really keeps the atmosphere relaxed. You have a great support network within Bullhorn to keep advancing your career and they are very clear with goals and requirements to advance.

Cons

If you struggle with change then this might not be a good company for you, the employees that are successful are agile and able to roll with the punches.

Advice to Management

As the business grows be conscious that each layer of the hierachy can have more insight to offer, particularly if they are closer to the employees.

"Admittedly crazy times, but still great"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reading some of the recent reviews I feel I need to set the record straight. If I were applying to a job at Bullhorn I'd look here and I don't want potentially awesome coworkers to be steered away! The reality is it's a really crazy time at Bullhorn. We've acquired a lot of companies, we have a ton of new products, and we're all moving 100 miles a second. But it is still great. The product is still cool (getting cooler) and the company just keeps adding benefits to support us. Yes, there's less free blocks on my calendar these days. But our charge is clear and motivating.

Cons

This isn't a 9-5 company. If you are looking for that, Bullhorn (and I imagine any software company) isn't the right choice.

Advice to Management

Remind your employees to schedule PTO days- we forget!

7. "Great Place To Be"

I worked at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

I worked at Bullhorn for a year and met some of my best friends there. The people who work there are inclusive and there is a great culture. First Thursdays and Wednesday lunches were fun and it was great that the whole Boston office would get together often. Very inviting place to work.

Cons

Only pay and internal restructuring

"Enjoying the adventure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is challenging and interesting. People are incredibly helpful to each other.

While Bullhorn's male leaders outnumber the female leaders, I see the company actively working on unconscious bias and other factors that can cause a good company to build a wall that blocks people instead of a bridge that welcomes. I read an earlier post about women only getting promoted if they wear makeup and dont wear hoodies. That is not an accurate depiction. Look at support supervisors, trainers, managers, etc. You will find women who wear hoodies and no makeup, women who regularly wear makeup and business apparel, women who go back and forth between these options. What they all have in common is they worked hard to hone their skillset to get where they are. At Bullhorn you see an amazing group of women lifting up other women through networking, mentoring, and collaborating.

Cons

As at every company, there is work to be done to improve the experience so all employees find the work life balance they seek. The tier 1 support experience is not the most pleasant when there is so much work and not enough hands to do it timely. Almost a dozen people got promoted from tier 1 at the same time, leaving a hole in the tier 1 workforce. Other companies might have chosen to pick up their higher level employees from outside the company so the front line support workload remained stable. Bullhorn promoted from within at every opportunity that an internal person has the skillset and professional readiness to be promoted. While that is a great practice, is difficult for tier 1 to be happy in work/life balance when they dont have enough hands lifting the load.

Advice to Management

Plan new classes well in advance of promotions so you can continue the admirable practice of promoting from within while not overloading the rest of the entry level support team.

"Support needs improvement desperately"

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

-peers are generally nice and helpful
    -lots of opportunities for advancement...IF you meet the their incredibly high metrics and their absurdly strict sick policy

Cons

The general feeling in Tier 1 Support is that management either doesn't care or is incompetent. While the promotion rate is fantastic, they completely fail to hire enough people in advance to replace the people they know they're going to lose, which puts the entire T1 staff at a massive disadvantage. They have unrealistic expectations, especially when taking over companies that have massive problems they don't bother to account for.

There are extremely few women in leadership positions and they seem far more concerned about keeping leadership the boys' club rather than actually trying to include diversity in their management team.

They underpay their employees. I know multiple employees who a) took huge pay cuts to come work for the company, and b) are literally receiving government assistance because the pay does not allow them to meet the needs of their family. But the company has no problem acquiring all these other problem businesses that they then dump on Support.

The sick/unscheduled PTO policy is incredibly restrictive. You get 3 call outs in a rolling 12-month period. Considering the open floor plan (everyone exchanging germs) and that most people have kids, people are frequently ill and have to still be at work, or they risk losing their bonus and the ability to be promoted.

The company tries to sell "unlimited PTO" as this huge perk, except good luck actually getting approved for it, and even then, you take a hit to your metrics for not being at work and risk losing your bonus.

There is no communication and no accountability for support leadership. Directors & VPs basically say whatever they want to try to calm people down and make them less angry, but they don't ever stick to what they say. Case in point: the recent addition of a Senior Analyst position, where everyone selected was told their jobs wouldn't change and they wouldn't be expected to do more than they were already doing, but they already support more than one product and would handle some of the trickier troubleshooting. Within a few weeks, they're now being trained on additional things and being given responsibilities Tier 2 was handling.

...but wait, there’s more!

On numerous occasions, at least one person in leadership has been observed (and heard) to be trashtalking Tier 1 analysts, usually female analysts, on the support floor in full hearing of their peers. There have also been instances of someone in leadership objecting to what an analyst was wearing and literally having her sent home because it was “inappropriate”, despite the fact that her clothing did not violate the (very relaxed and vague) dress code and was similar to clothing that other women wear at the office. There have been other instances of sexist behavior and microaggressions reported, but nothing is ever done about them, and expressing concerns about sexism at work is often met with retaliation.

Unless you are a white male, this is not a safe space for you. Being promoted as a woman relies heavily on your performance of femininity. Don’t want to wear lots of makeup and dress super feminine? Good luck on being promoted. You are being judged on your looks. Men can wear whatever they want and it’s fine, but if you come to work in a hoodie regularly as a woman, well...you’re just not promotable.

Leadership will constantly put impossible demands on you and increase your workload beyond reason, and then blame you when you don’t meet their goals. Multiple analysts with mental health concerns like anxiety or depression have had to double and triple their medication just to attempt to keep up with the strain. Overtime is encouraged weekly, including on the weekends, because they refuse to ensure they have enough staff to handle the volume of work. There is no work/life balance, because work takes over your life and you have to work overtime just to meet your goals, while simultaneously being told you’re not doing enough.

Leadership has proven repeatedly they cannot be trusted. Other offices and other roles that aren’t Tier 1 Support seem pretty great. But Tier 1 Support is a dumpster fire that leadership just keeps pouring gasoline on, like they hope that maybe it’ll douse the flames.

Advice to Management

-Build trust. Analysts are required to make specific commitments and give specific time frames they’ll update the customers within. So practice what you preach, and then actually keep those commitments. Do what you say you’re going to. This will be a LONG process, particularly with how badly leadership is viewed currently. But it has to change and it has to start somewhere.

-Communicate. Yes, we know things are bad. Yes, we assume you’re working to address the problem. But how? WHAT are you doing? Because from Tier 1, it looks like you’re sweeping it under the rug and crossing your fingers it’ll go away.

-Pay your people fairly. For a company that is purchasing other businesses right and left, you pay your people that aren’t leadership horribly. Maybe instead of investing in companies that completely lack infrastructure, try investing in the support staff that forms the backbone of your company. Anyone not in leadership in the entire support structure: Tier 1, Tier 2, Enterprise Support, Ops, Training, Documentation, whatever, deserves an immediate and substantial raise for the crap they deal with on a daily basis.

-Overhaul your sick policy. Seriously, it’s ridiculous and good employees are missing out on opportunities because of how unreasonably strict this is. Nowhere I have ever worked before has had this little room for BEING HUMAN, which is one of your core values. Practice what you preach.

-Make leadership more diverse and inclusive. There is absolutely no reason for women to be so underrepresented in leadership.

-Address your rampant issues with sexism in the workplace. A lot of it comes from leadership, and they only encourage the problem to persist when others see there are no consequences for those responsible.

Leadership is out of touch with the reality that is working in Support. That needs to change.

Bullhorn Response

Sep 24, 2018 – Chief People Officer

We are working on improving the Tier1 experience and I would welcome your ideas. Please come to talk with me to discuss your work experience Kcastelda@bullhorn or call me at 617.478.9130.

"Still trying to find an identity"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Bullhorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture and really great people that make this job exciting. They are also a market leader in the space and continue to innovate to outpace their competition. A really good product for an industry that lacks any sort of innovation.

A great place to start your career in tech and learn the ropes. You can essentially carve out your niche in this company since they are growing so fast.

Art is an amazing CEO, really cares about his employees and wants everyone to succeed.

Free lunch on Wednesday is cool, good snacks, good benefits, great 401K w/ a match, and a healthy work life balance.

Cons

Pay is below market and it doesn't seem that management is trying to address this. This year alone, there has been a lot of churn in all departments because folks are realizing that other tech companies are willing to pay more for less work.

You better be a self starter - finding information or documentation can lead you down a rabbit hole. Processes are not documented really well and "beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" is embedded in the culture.

In addition, with recent acquisitions, communication has been difficult. Folks aren't properly trained to understand these new products and their is uncertainty around how best to position each. Even senior leadership is unsure how to handle this. Really frustrating to get the run around on questions that you may have because your manager's manager doesn't know whats going on. Something as small as documentation would be huge.

Finally, there is an old guard mentality here where folks who have been at BH a long time will essentially be given priority. Its just the way it is.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff. Paying below market is only going to hurt you in the long run.

Have a plan when you acquire other companies. Leaving senior leaders in the dark on what to do, who to speak with etc has a trickle down effect on the individual contributors. Open up those communication channels to set your staff up for success.

Look outside the organization to fill senior leadership positions. They could bring new and better ideas that could bring this company to the IPO level.