Burcham Hills Retirement Community Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Pam Ditri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Place to Work- Great Teamwork!"

Former Employee - Receptionist in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Burcham Hills is a wonderful community to be a part of. I was hired about a year ago and was given excellent training. During my short time here, I have had the opportunity to take on new positions. My supervisor is kind, receptive, supportive and has an 'open-door' to asking questions. I admire the leadership because they appreciate and recognize staff for their hard work. I believe the culture at Burcham Hills is resident focused, supportive, and committed to excellence. There are so many employees that have been here for 5,10, 15 and even 20+ years because it is great place to work. I would have stayed if I were not moving across the country. I was so grateful to work with nursing, maintenance, hospitality, wellness ect. staff that were always willing to help me and each other out. I made good friends and will miss our awesome residents!

Cons

The most challenging part of the job is watching family, friends, staff and loved ones cope with loss. However, I am grateful to work in a community where staff is able to support residents and their loved ones in such a way that I often hear ‘mom/dad loved this place and you all took such great care of them’.

Advice to Management

Continue giving great support and encouraging teamwork among the staff- it is working!

2. "More hours than you can ever want"

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly employees are great, hardworking people, who love working together and working with their patients.

Cons

Training is not consistent, management is not consistent with discipline or schedule management.

"Nurse Assistant"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Burcham Hills Retirement Community part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Residents made this job enjoyable. Getting to help them everyday become more independent was what made the job worth it. Employees there are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Understaffed. Call lights were almost always on and it was near impossible to find time to chart before the end of the day ended.

Advice to Management

Hire, hire, hire! Needs more employees.

4. "I love here."

Pros

Great culture, great environment, great management, love to be here with the supervisors, coworkers, residents, I have been repositioned for three times now , I appreciate that I have been valued, trained, and encouraged. Good work ethic is rewarded. The company welcomes diversity, too.

Cons

I just love here.there are opportunities if you work hard. Nothing bad comes to my mind.

Advice to Management

GOOD management!

5. "cna training"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in East Lansing, MI

Pros

its great place to work

Cons

you're away from home for 12 hours a day

Advice to Management

we love you

6. "Room for improvement"

I worked at Burcham Hills Retirement Community (More than 5 years)

Pros

Established, quality, and the best residents

Cons

Not sure about all the changes with the management company.

Advice to Management

Promote motivated individuals who care and not those who "have that pretty boy look"

7. "RN"

Pros

I worked mainly for the rehabilitation part of Burcham. I was able to expand my knowledge and talents by working with a variety of patient needs. Other nurses and staff were helpful and a joy to work with during my time at Burcham. The computer MARs and TARS were easy to understand and use on a daily basis. Shifts are mainly 12 hours long and from 12-14 patients.

Cons

This is a more fast pace and changing type of job and is not recommended to those that don't like that type of environment. At times finding supplies can become frustrating, and a time consuming process.

Advice to Management

There is a need for better organization of supplies. A person stocking with more medical knowledge might be able to understand and anticipate nurse needs. Eliminate the need for two people at the pixis system for the more common medications. This puts a strain on staff time and energy.

8. "Leaves much to be desired"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Co-workers and residents. They were the best part of the job.

Cons

There is a real loss of communication between management and employees. The management is top heavy, while not addressing the floor needs. The Director is not social and does not take the time to meet new staff.

Advice to Management

Get involved with your staff. There are meetings and "business" needs, which is understood but there is a real disconnect between the floor and management. Burcham has great core values, but without the staff to uphold and support them, they are meaningless.

"Everyone can learn from clearing a table or two"

Current Employee - Kitchen in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Kitchen in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents are great to work with

Cons

Need more support from director. Do more then put a hair net on please. It may look good to your boss, but really who are you kidding!

Advice to Management

Get your hands dirty, talk less. You are too critical of employees, and co workers, you like to hear yourself talk, pull up your sleeves and work beside me. We are appreciated by residents, yet you like to take credit for our work. When you talk we hear nothing, but watch your lips move.
    Benefits are not great, no matter how you dress up the package. Given the cliental and healthcare you would think it would be better.

10. "No concerns"

Current Employee - Dining Room Attendant
    Current Employee - Dining Room Attendant

Pros

Love working with the residents

Cons

No cons at this time

Advice to Management

N/a