Burchfield Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Brian B. Bullock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Place to Gain Experience"

I worked at Burchfield Group full-time

Pros

- Great people to work with. Everyone is very open with their time and willing to help and share their experiences. Great exposure to learn from veterans of the industry with decades of experience.

- Great place to start a career or grow a career. You'll be able to gain experience with all the major PBMs in the industry and have a unique vantage point to observe from. You'll have the opportunity to wear many different hats and take projects from A to Z yourself. You'll be exposed to many different skills and areas of the PBM industry.

- Very little micromanagement from leadership. People who are go-getters/doers and can problem solve on their own will flourish. Opportunity to create own path and develop own strategies and processes. People who need hand-holding beyond initial training will not flourish.

- Lots of company celebrations: 1st day of new employees, monthly birthdays, happy hours, years of service celebrations, lunch and learns, etc... Ping pong tournaments!

- Great work-life balance. Like any place, when there's due dates that emerge or quick turnaround times, there can be some long days,, however this is balanced out where it's not a big deal to have an appointment in the middle of the day or work from home when needed. Overall expect a 40-45 hour work-week on average.

- Pay is good. Bonuses are generally paid out close to 100% depending on goals. Health benefits are solid, but average. Starting PTO at 3-weeks is light, but after 3-years you'll be at average with 4-weeks.

- Can feel proud in what you're doing. Helping companies save money and keep healthcare costs down and more affordable.

Cons

- Salaries are good, but 401k is lacking. Company only matches up to 3% of salary at their discretion. That match is not paid out per pay check, but rather is matched once a year in Q1 for the previous calendar year. This can cause you to lose growth on your 401k and possibly lose a year's worth of matches when you someday depart.

- Time tracking to 15 minute intervals. Used to help track hours on a project basis, not an individual basis, but still annoying. Projects are always over budget hours and since resources are linked to budget, it always seems there's not enough resources. It can be difficult to develop new or maintain existing tools when client workload is high and resources are low.

- Small & Flat organization. Difficult to progress upwards after a certain point.

Advice to Management

- Improve benefits (401k matching and PTO/Sick-Time)

- Invest in resources that produce work and new innovations to processes and products

2. "Great Place for the Motivated!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Burchfield Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Burchfield Group was a great place to start my career! The environment was very friendly and they do a good job of training new employees. I really enjoyed my coworkers and feel that these people became friends. I gained very valuable skills during my time with the firm and these have translated nicely to other roles. It's certainly a great company of you're willing to stretch yourself and take on new challenges!

Cons

During the time I was at Burchfield, there were a few bad apples in terms of new hires. I would say, however, that the executive team did a great job with remedying any issues in short order and this made the rest of our lives much easier as the work flowed more efficiently.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; it was a wonderful place to work! Definitely the best job I've had thus far!

3. "Extremely troubling culture"

Former Employee - Senior Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Burchfield Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some talented staff who try to do the right thing. Free parking. You can eat lunch at your desk. The computer screens are in color

Cons

CEO fosters a toxic work culture, where staff is blamed for his failures.Employee turnover is very high. CEO often pursues legal proceedings against former employees...be careful what you sign.

Advice to Management

Get a mentor to teach you basic leadership skills.

"Will the last to leave please turn out the lights?"

Former Employee - Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Burchfield Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a former analyst for TBG, I left of my own choice. TBG has a wonderful market segment, PBM auditing, and should be able to find quality contracts that really benefit their customers.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company is owned by someone who has displayed over and over that he is incapable of allowing others to help him grow the company. He wants total control and often pits one executive against another, changing the game mid-stream just to watch his team try to "gain his love". The number of senior people that have tried to help him is significant. Like many other entrepreneurs, he does not understand that for a company to grow, he has to surround himself with people better at operations than he is and then let them do their jobs. It is a very toxic environment. Recent layoffs (including his entire executive staff) are only the start, and the company will continue to struggle as healthcare changes, it no longer has the infrastructure to create new products and innovate.

Advice to Management

The products and services you offered several years ago were good for that timeframe, but your inability to innovate and accept the advice of other quality people have put the company in serious jeopardy.

"There are many highly competent employees but very few of those are management."

Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Burchfield Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technical competence in pharmacy benefit consulting. A superficial commitment to employees that wears off shortly after hiring and disappears when any problems or honest or open discussion with management occur.

Cons

Senior management is the real problem. No vision or even an integrated plan openly shared with all team members. A conflicted company because they want to "sell" in a "consulting" environment and do not have insight into how this can be accomplished. No integrity toward employees or clients.

Advice to Management

Sell! You are toast.

"Future is bleak due to poor leadership and management"

I have been working at Burchfield Group full-time

Pros

There are a handful of bright, skilled individuals that you can learn from at this organization. There is a ton of knowledge and expertise that individuals are willing to share which can lead to alot of knowledge share.

Cons

There is a complete lack of strategic direction from the CEO and senior leadership and there is little to no emphasis put on developing talent within the company. The only metric that is focused on is revenue, no focus put on operational efficiency, resource deployment, strategic planning, talent development or anything that will assist the organization in running smoothly. This is evidenced by the roughly 50% turnover rate I witnessed while being employed there. There is no company that can be successful with this sort of turnover rate. Further, there is little to no thought leadership at this organization. At this point the average tenure within the company is probably less than 1 year and average experience in the industry is less than 1 year, not a recipe for success. I would not recommend anyone working for this organization at any level. It is an organization that is looking to churn and burn through all levels, even the senior levels, in order to meet mythical revenue numbers.

Advice to Management

Start to put an emphasis on cultivating talent and building out strategic planning. Completely revamp your culture and value system. There needs to be an environment in place where healthy disagreements can be viewed as opportunities for improvement and not means for termination. It may be too late for this organization, but is worth a try. Figure out how to fix the turnover rate, it is affecting your brand severely and affecting not only obtaining top level talent but also securing clients and partners. Pharmacy is a small world and the word is out on the terrible environment and culture at Burchfield. It is only going to get worse until something material is done about it. Good luck, you will need it.

"The most dysfunctional organization...Management is clueless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Most of the coworkers are knowledgeable and fun to be around...while they last.
    Company events are usually quite nice - they do know how to show employees a good time.
    Beer in the fridge...

Cons

HR is misleading
    There is confusion between the ownership of the audit process across different departments - this leads to duplicate work, etc.
    Management does not promote a healthy work environment - complaints fall on deaf ears - and those people eventually leave.
    The war of office politics will interfere with how you can do your job - that can change from week to week depending on what the latest game upper management is playing with each other.
    This place had the biggest turnover that I have ever seen and I have experienced work environments with a fairly good amount of turnover. Most people have not even been here for two years.
    Do not believe it when they tell you that the company is growing - they are replacing the many that have come before you.

Advice to Management

Keep the office politics behind closed doors.
    Let IT be run by someone with IT skills. Anyone that has been around the block knows that you have to know what you are doing (as in having that same background) to effectively lead a department. Pretending to have these skills will not work.
    Clarify the audit process - both audit, consulting, etc. complain that its very confusing. It wastes time when everyone is doing everyone else's job but their own.
    You need to improve morale or pretty soon you will see more experienced people leaving - and they are planning and plotting believe it - what are you going to do when all the experienced talent with their connections and knowledge are gone?

"Turnovers abound because of bad management at the top"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN

Pros

My coworkers are very helpful, nice, and knowledgeable while they last
    Everyone, except the CEO is very committed to the clients
    The office is nice with a flat screen TV in and Nintendo Wii in the break room
    There are plenty of desks to choose from and if the one you want is taken, it will probably be open in a couple of weeks.

Cons

Most of the staff has been here only a few months, which makes finding out about what happened in previous years nearly impossible.
    Most of the newly hired people realize that they were lied to in the interview and quit within weeks of starting.
    Once hired it is very hard to move up, aside from the occasional title change with little compensation or workload change.
    The IT staff is nonexistent which causes lots of downstream problems.
    Most of the new people keep to themselves making the atmosphere in the office heavy and cold
    Quality is constantly sacrificed to meet deadlines after overselling to pad the CEO's wallet

Advice to Management

Incentivise good workers to keep them around
    Promote a more social atmosphere
    Tell new hires the truth about the company in the interview process so they know what they are getting in to.
    Focus on infrastructure projects to streamline and automate the business
    Deliver quality to the clients instead of cutting corners to make a quick buck even if it means you have to take on fewer clients.

"Great place to work; fun people and challenging work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great people to work with. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and fun.
    Challenging work assignments. I like being challenged on my job and my supervisor gives me recognition for my contributions and my abilities.
    Management keeps their promises; everything I was told during my interviews was true. I have had no surprises. Management is friendly and available if I have questions. I am able to share my ideas and I feel listened to.
    Very talented people to work with. It makes my day interesting and I always am learning something new.
    In the lunch room they have a ping pong table and a large flat screen TV so employees can relax and have fun over their lunch breaks. The best thing about Burchfield Group is the great people I work with!
    I like being able to work independently but also like the team assignments.

Cons

Smaller company but everyone pitches in to get the job done. I don't think this is a con.
    Some growing pains like needing more people, but it seems like that is changing as several new people have started over the last few months. Other than that, everything else is very good. No complaints.

Advice to Management

I think it would be fun to have a company outing like bowling or some other activity soon. Everyone works so hard in my department that an outing during this busy time would be appreciated.

"Something is rotten in the state of Minnesota..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

There is a very talented core group of people you will work with.
    Salaries are respectable for new hires
    Flexibility in schedule

Cons

The talented people quickly find their way to the exit
    *Extremely* low morale
    Untruths fill the air
    The interview process promises the world, but they can not deliver.
    A very "Big Brother" feel for such a small company.

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on the people that made the company a good place to work. You have a very talented group of individuals working for you, respect them and listen to their ideas as the path you are continuing on now is not working.