Bureau Veritas North America "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bureau Veritas North America Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 3, 2019

2.9
Bureau Veritas North America CEO Natalia Shuman
Natalia Shuman
Pros
  • "Loyalty, flexible schedule, work from home, minimal travel(in 6 reviews)

• "They have a good benefits package, good vacation time, and you are encouraged to use it(in 4 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good learning experience"

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America full-time

Pros

negotiating the project before hand helps

Cons

difficult to balance work life balance

Bureau Veritas North America2017-04-04
  2. "Coordinator"

Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance if you have an understanding manager.

Cons

Top heavy in management, some are there with no real purpose.

Advice to Management

Team work works best

Bureau Veritas North America2019-01-03

"Flexible Schedule but Management Lacks Communication"

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, opportunities to travel, able to work remote

Cons

Not a lot of work life balance, expected to work long weeks and travel very frequently, disorganization, understaffed

Bureau Veritas North America2018-10-10
  4. "Great starter job"

Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time

Pros

Direct manager was great. Overtime pay was at least worth it. Great experience on multitude of lab apparatus.

Cons

No work life balance what so ever. Consistently called to lab for overtime, sometimes multiple times a day.

Bureau Veritas North America2017-05-26
  5. "RIGHT THE SHIP"

TX - Texas

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America

Pros

Mid-level Management is solid Benefits for a reasonable price Work-Life Balance is promoted Coworkers can be very supportive and kind Decent training

Cons

Sick/Vacation time is lumped together Upper Mgmt can set unrealistic goals. Repetitive Processes as a result of not wanting to Invest in more effective and synergistic time-saving controls. No profit sharing and/or sufficient raises. Low morale amongst various departments. Massive workloads that are viewed as ineffective if not completed within 40 hours. The compensation is lower than a large percentage of... the industry average. Difficult to present ideas and other groups provided with more lead way and or favoritism. Many things to be done must be completed by oneself as interdepartmental communication can lead to one group bearing the majority of the weight

Advice to Management

More action and less talking about what they want to happen. Be more inviting to all employees Make the initiatives created by high level execs come into play. The managers who are great keep it up. Improve company culture. Keep talent from walking out the door.

Bureau Veritas North America2016-07-08

"BVNA"

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America

Pros

Decent Salary, car allowance, learning the business and gaining experience.

Cons

Company infrastructure needs to be looked at. Work life balance is bad, expected to put company first. Good luck breaking into the "inner circle"

Bureau Veritas North America2015-11-04

"Company is going to go out of business"

Current Employee - Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America full-time

Pros

Not many. Gained a lot of technical experience fixing/troubleshooting what were essentially antique instruments.

Cons

The company does not care for its people, wants to pay their lab technicians 1/2 of what they would make performing work in a plant. The attrition rate is insanely high. In the lab that I worked in the employee turnover ratio was insane; well above 1 (i.e. Essentially starting with a fully new staff every year). When your turnover ratio is worse that at McDonald's I think it's time to look at the management and its... compensation structure. The company refuses to make sensible investments in securing its future profitability. The company would rather shell out $1000 per sample sending it to another lab 1-2 times a week than spend 50k to buy the instrument to run the samples in house. Also the work/life balance is ridiculous due to the fact that we could never keep a trained and qualified staff I found myself constantly working 60+ hr work weeks... For months on end. Even when I wasn't working I was perpetually oncall to coordinate with with our technicians and client. From after my first month I found myself doing parts of my managers job, but by the end of my time there I think the only tasks my manager was performing were: Bantering with coworkers, bad mouthing ALL of these same coworkers, ordering consumables, and leaving early. The training is horrible as well. Training was essentially to do some general corporate online training, then in the eyes of the company you were qualified as a fully certified technician. When people that do not actually understand chemistry (because you don't pay enough) and aren't properly trained play with chemicals this is extremely dangerous. I witnessed 4 serious instances of chemical burns which should not and would not have happened if the staff was adequately trained.

Advice to Management

I think it is too late for this company to stage a turnaround. You are all on a sinking ship. You all should start looking for new jobs.

Bureau Veritas North America2015-11-14

"Unrealistic expectations"

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair pay. Full benefits, but very expensive. Good Paid Time Off Allotment.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Very long hours, including nights, weekends, and during vacation. No respect for employees' time. Work-life balance is terrible. All managers are hired externally, with no promotions from within. Horrible morale throughout the organization. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Look at the resources you have internally when managerial positions are available. Develop a career path program to prepare employees for promotion within the company. Lack of upward mobility is resulting in very low morale, high turnover, and disruptions to continuity.

Bureau Veritas North America2015-07-01

"Great for worklife balance, but horrible office politics."

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance, rarely work over time. Some what flexible with hours. Good amount of vacation time, but not alot of holidays. Good Insurance, but you pay a high price especially if for a family. Full benefit package available.

Cons

Managers don't have any people skills and are so hands off they are annoyed with questions. They only care about marking their numbers. Lack of professionalism. The building is disgustingly dirty. I don't know if the carpets have ever been cleaned. Alot of computer software issues, which make it impossible to work at times. Managment is very high strung over month end and its always that way. Training is done... all on the fly. You must be a quick learner or you will fail.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees.

Bureau Veritas North America2014-02-15