Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Reviews

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Rut vs Groove? Ans: Rut"

Current Employee - Petrole in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Petrole in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Bureau of Ocean Energy Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work-life balance is good and encouraged (even mandated)
    -Friendly and social co-workers
    -Great training opportunities (for Geoscientists)

Cons

- Promotions are limited to seniority (not performance) or favoritism (like anywhere else)
    - Typically promotions occur when someone else retires! Good luck waiting
    - Not a place for someone overly ambitious with significant industry experience
    - However for the few public openings, I recommend negotiating for the highest starting salary, if you have previous industry experience. Pushing the pay bands may get you close to where you once were. 'Cause you may be there a while.
    - No emphasis on petroleum or production engineering, though its the bedrock of their primary business function: lease sales. If you're a geologist or geoscientist, this place is a wonderland.

Advice to Management

- Senior management is (and are continuing) to improve work-life-pay balance for all
      employees. However, 1st line supervisors, who directly affect employee performance
      ratings, don't necessarily share the vision senior mgnt has. So you may have excellent
      performance on activities (or projects) Sr. Management encourages, but it may not
      count towards your annual performance rating.
    - Another suggestion to management is to give more rewards to high performance.
      There is a culture of neglect to this regard.

2. "Generally a nice place to work"

I worked at Bureau of Ocean Energy Management full-time

Pros

Good teamwork, sense of esprit de corps, interesting work. Smart people.

Cons

Some favoritism, strange choice of new headquarters location (way out in the Virginia exurbs)

Advice to Management

Relocate headquarters closer to transit; otherwise, expand teleworking.

3. "Plagued by regional politics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Good people, flexible schedule, decent pay

Cons

Regional bickering leads to poor science. Written policy doesn't necessarily equate to how work actually is accomplished. A lot of infighting and differing visions on what the agency does. Weak leadership that doesn't want to rock the boat.

Advice to Management

Renovate organizational structure so that headquarters and regions are not fighting. Reassign poor managers and conduct 360 degree evaluations so that employees can provide honest anonymous reviews of managers.

"This is Where Your Career goes to Die"

Current Employee - Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer in New Orleans, LA

Pros

9/80 work schedule, soon to become 8/80. So you don’t have to spend as many days working a dead end job.

Good Leave policy; you get four full weeks of leave after spending just three years here. Less time at work once again.

Cons

There is little to no training; most training is Petrel and ArcGIS training, which is only available to Geoscientists. In addition, there is no mentoring program for new employees (just out of college). Actually, there are very few individuals qualified to serve as mentors.

We don’t use the latest technology; we don’t use that latest software packages (i.e. Petroleum Experts, CMG, Kappa, Eclipse, etc.) Most of the work is just rubber stamping, you are not a real engineer in this organization as far as I am concerned. You will never gain any skills in this organization that will allow you to survive in the real world of petroleum engineering.

Nepotism, don't be surprised if the new employee is someone's niece/nephew. This generally leads to mass incompetence.

There is a severe lack of diversity; most people are black or white, and they form their little clicks and hate on each other. Being Hispanic, I have chosen to keep to myself. Forced diversity training was supposed to make this better (you had to take this mandatory training). This training included employees berating each other based on gender, race, etc. (they said that people calling each other racial stereotypes at one another would make people like each other; it would humble people). Having 40 or so people insulting me (calling me uneducated, dumb, a drug dealer/trafficker, a wet-back, etc.) did not make me like them. If anything, I dislike these people more now than ever. It’s also funny how there is a lack of money for engineering training but plenty money for diversity training.

Threats of physical violence exist, both internal and external. We have had several threats and management just sends emails (active shooter emails) telling people that in such event to hide in places like bathrooms. Security appears lax and there are no metal detectors to come inside the building. There are no physical barriers preventing a Timothy McVeigh like incident from occurring either. Considering the nature of the work we do, it would not be out of the realm of possibilities for an environmentalist wacko from committing a heinous crime, yet management seems indifferent. Internal threats of violence also exists (I will not discuss these further) and concealed handguns are not allowed (even with a concealed handgun license), making it difficult defending oneself.

Advice to Management

It does not matter what I tell management. Management does not listen; their egos are much bigger than their brains.

5. "Bad experience worse agency to work for."

Former Employee - Secretary in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Secretary in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Bureau of Ocean Energy Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great government benefits and retirement package.

Cons

Don't promote within; management have their picks of who get promoted.

Advice to Management

Micromanage their employees.

6. "Stale deal."

I worked at Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (More than a year)

Pros

Listen to the little guy!

Cons

No so much listening at the top...

Advice to Management

Listen down<

"Interesting work, but it can be very frustrating to work for the government."

Current Employee - Geologist in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Geologist in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Bureau of Ocean Energy Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security, 9/80 work schedule.

Cons

The splitting apart of the former MMS to form two agencies (BOEM and BSEE) have created a frustrating environment to get the work done.

"Nice public sector company"

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Small agency therefore a tight knit culture

Cons

Small company therefore status quo may take longer than normal to change

9. "very good"

Current Employee - Auditor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor in Houston, TX

Pros

challenging assignments, growth opportunity, and good pay..

Cons

govternment bureaucracy and takes longer to get things done.

Advice to Management

none