Burgess Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg Burgess

1. "Job review"

I have been working at Burgess Group full-time

Pros

It is a growing company so there are opportunities for growth

Cons

Structure is still being adjusted

2. "It's better to work at North Korea!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Burgess Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will pay you whatever you ask

Cons

There are so many red flags all over the place but they will give you high Salary and show you the beautiful office and fake smile. I worked in the product and development department there is no work life balance no processes or procedures to improve life work balance. They will tell you we do thing here the Burgess way. You are basically on call to work seven days a week every week. The project managers are not IT savvy at all. Most managers had worked in Healthcare industry they know the inns and outs about Medicare and Medicaid but that’s all.

2)Do you see how the CEO has 100% approval but Recommend to friend is 48% so let me tell you why, from 7/2015 to 7/2016 the HR team spent lot time selling the CEO.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Truly great team"

I worked at Burgess Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are talented and supportive. These were truly the best people I have ever worked with.
    Significant effort to promote from within the company and creative thinking is valued.
    Administrative team is particularly wonderful.
    Upper management is always attempting to improve. CEO has made mistakes but owned up to them and made changes.

Cons

I concur with previous posters about a constantly shifting target.
    Lack of follow through with initiatives that are treated as imperative at the time of their introduction (this is pretty common at all organizations).
    Poor planning sometimes leads to inefficient, last-minute emergency work.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to narrow your focus and give your employees every opportunity to showcase their individual gifts. Increase pay for all administrative staff.

"It's about the people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

As an employee here for more than 6 years, I speak about family more than I speak about an employer. Burgess has grown exponentially in the time that I've been here, and we continue to hire people who fit into this unique and amazing culture. We all care about our product, what we do and the people we work with.

Cons

As with any quickly growing company, operational growing pains (both major and minor).

"Proud of my work, proud of my co-workers, proud of my company"

I have been working at Burgess Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Burgess has an energetic, engaged, and diverse workforce and a superior industry-leading product. Our maturing agile processes allow us to accomplish in days/weeks what it takes other companies months or years to put into production. There is a lot of work to go around and we work hard at it. People may have disagreements, but those disagreements are about solutions, not personal issues. Offices are state of the art and compensation is reasonable. In my time here, I have seen our product offering and our business expand as our relationships with our clients have deepened. I have also seen a great deal of internal promotion, a boom in hiring, and the implementation of a bonus program. If you are willing to learn, willing to work hard, and willing to put the work before your ego, you will do well here.

Cons

Entrepreneurial companies take risks on new projects and develop on short deadlines, which means that priorities sometimes have to shift. Flexibility is our strength, but that uncertainty makes some people uncomfortable. If you prefer a rigid, traditional company-style structure and need to know exactly what you'll be doing a week from tomorrow, you may have a difficult adjustment period. The job often requires working nights and weekends to meet key deadlines, which can be a problem for people with commitments outside of work. Many people on staff are perfectionists who expect the best from themselves and others, so praise can be short. Management tends to be "hands off"- while there is career growth you must be the architect of your own path.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good, smart, adventurous people. Keep innovating and experimenting with new ideas. Never compromise on quality. Make sure we stay true to the design principles that are the core of our DNA.

"Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Burgess Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You're surrounded by fun talented people. A great culture that is flexible and fast paced.

Cons

Long hours and operational growing pains.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on operations as the company grows.

"Good place to work, good people"

I have been working at Burgess Group full-time

Pros

Initiative is appreciated. A knowledgeable group of people that I find easy to work with, a very international population and a broad range of ages. I cannot speak to the company's past or management., I have worked many places and currently this is one of the most open and supportive environments I have experienced. It is not rainbows and unicorns, everyone has a boatload of work - the people support each other.

Cons

Work load is ever increasing, there is little time for process improvement which would ease the load. OTOH, people are hired as needed to provide that needed slack.

"Constant direction changing"

Pros

The Alexandria office is gorgeous, with plenty of open space. The admin staff is very supportive, the employees are generally top-tier. Excellent location. Decent pay & benefits, at least for me. Solid product, which is what keeps things going here and the only reason I say the business outlook is positive.

Cons

The target market seems to be ever-changing. The technology teams seem to be under stress to produce without any reasonable direction (see other reviews) - there's just not a long-term business plan here. It's one thing to be able to quickly adapt and another to use that ability as an excuse to change direction because you don't know where you're going. As other reviewers have noted, the base product is reliable, but the leadership is lacking, both strategically and daily, at the top. Work-life balance is a battle. So is trust, as one day you have a job, and the next day you don't - regardless of your qualifications. I don't know if turnover is still an issue, but it looks that way from recent reviews. You'd think that would produce an opportunity for growth and career advancement - but instead, somebody from a formerly competing firm is hired to replace the person whose position you might have moved into.

Advice to Management

Discussion about your latest Ferrari, Aston-Martin, Lamborghini, or whatever car you recently purchased - when the rest of the group was just given unhappy news - is not motivational. Come up with a strategic plan, then quit second-guessing both the staff and the plan and lead. The leadership appears to be afraid to make a significant mistake, which might result in the loss of stature, or sales, or market position - so decisions are constantly in flux.

Burgess Group Response

Feb 23, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Burgess is growing rapidly, and we do realize with that comes certain “pains,” but we are working to streamline our operations and have made great strides toward that ... More

"Think Thrice"

I worked at Burgess Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Burgess product is excellent and the technical staff (developers, analysts, etc.) are very good at what they do.

Cons

Do not make the mistake that I did, especially if you are currently a successful managerial talent. The leadership here is very myopic, egotistical and prone to rash decisions about staffing and hiring. They will lure you with money, but make no mistake about it, your independence and ability to execute will be sold with the additional money you will be making.

With no clear business plan in place and a lack of managerial discipline, the leaders in the company rely on bullying and manipulation to squeeze every minute of work out of their employees.

For example, blaming the employees for misusing their PTO, the management unilaterally canceled all 2014 Christmas season PTO for ALL employees. This was in response to poor management of the 2013 holiday season, something that the management team should have been on top of. Instead of taking the blame, the leadership canceled all holiday leave for all employees this year.

Or, discarding an entire month’s worth of coding because the design of the product did not meet aesthetic pleasure of the CEO. The team had worked nights and weekends on the effort and the release was dumped with the team ordered to start over again. Where was management during the development phase and why did they not have better review processes?

Or hiring then firing an entire sales team from a leading competitor within a few months.

The list goes on and on. Read the rest of the reviews and believe them.

Advice to Management

Do not bother hiring any manager-level people going forward. The only people that can thrive in your environment are those who you have cultivated with the behaviors that you embody.

"Should have checked Glassdoor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Burgess Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is that the office is located within easy walking distance to Metro. Many of the people working for the company are very skilled at their jobs.

Cons

There is no work life balance and no processes or procedures to improve life work balance. You are basically on call to work seven days a week every week. The workflow is incredibly poorly managed, leading to consistent weekend work and there is no incentive to make improvements because the employees working the weekends are salaried. It would be EASY to solve the problem. If the owner of the company required senior management to justify weekend work every time it was requested of the employees, the problems at the company would be immediately transparent.

Advice to Management

Management should have regular meetings with the sole purpose of improving the workflow.