Burgess & Niple Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Engineering Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Burgess & Niple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was proactive and always willing to give advise.

Cons

Small group, most work is passed down

2. "Engineer 2"

Former Employee - Project Engineer II in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer II in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Burgess & Niple full-time

Pros

Diverse work both public and private and a nice mix of small and large projects. The firm had a good reputation and the office was nice. Standard benefits.

Cons

Chaotic management coming from corporate where there was some detachment about what was really going on. Was my first job from college and the training program was less than what was promised. They tried to overburden their employees and didn't offer enough support. Was a team environment but did very little team building.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training and retaining young talent. Do team building to improve efficiency, encourage advancement, and build loyalty and consistency.

3. "Great Company"

Pros

Promote from within, excellent benefits, great professional atmosphere

Cons

Non I can think of

"Dead end job. Stagnant, and stale"

Pros

You can learn a lot in the engineering and surveying fields. And pay is above average for local companies in the same field.

Cons

Poster child for what's wrong with corporate America. They give empty promises to employees to get what they want, when they want. They do not embrace strong character and ambition. You only receive cost of living raises. They do not promote from within. No support from management and there's a BIG gap between management and workers. Almost has a high school" "clique" environment. They want robots to obey, not innovative minds to open new doors. In a company where management lives like rock stars, employees do not receive any sort of bonuses nor do they give rewarding and compensatory raises. They have managers that do not understand the departments they are overseeing. And their beloved core values are nothing more than marketing fluff.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing. Embrace your employees, with financial and professional growth. The offices are full of "go with the flow" workers. And y'all killed the "go getter" attitude.

5. "Get aggressive with marketing!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Burgess & Niple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for a diverse workload. You will definitely learn a lot in the architecture and engineering fields. Pay is commensurate with experience and can be very lucrative. Benefits are fairly standard for the engineering field.

Cons

The ownership definitely needs a younger, more aggressive approach. It would seem that the "higher-ups" are more retroactive than proactive when dealing with the possibilities of a new market. Its as though they wait to see what the other guys are doing before they jump into a new market.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive! Do your research on new business opportunities and get in before everyone else.

"Turn 'em and burn 'em."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Burgess & Niple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working for a satellite office of this firm. It's was a small office which meant everyone where's a lot of hats. I got a lot of great experience from design to project management to marketing very early in my career. In fact, much faster than other employees in bigger offices with the same position.

Cons

No accountability on the part of senior leadership. "Carrot and stick" management mentality. The senior management uses a catch phrase "winning the job and doing the job (are two different things)". Meaning, they are ok with saying whatever they need to to get what they want. At first, I thought this was just with respect to clients. But then, I realized it was just a general management strategy. You will not be paid for your accomplishments, only the minimum qualifications they need from you. For example, no raise for attaining your PE if they don't need you to stamp. No consideration given for structural engineering graduate degree because, and I quote from my direct supervisor, "I got an online MBA and I didn't think it was worth much." Their "core values" are a joke. Nothing more than marketing fluff. My entire office turned over 1.5 times in the time I was there. Averaging about 5 people in the office over those 5 years. All left for similar reasons. They talk a LOT about doing the right things and business strategy...but they don't follow through. Too many people not willing to "give up their seat on the bus".

Advice to Management

Stop reading business books and actually stick to a strategy and follow through. Buzz words are annoying to employees and clients! The senior leadership needs to take more responsibility for their actions. Stand up for your employees and have a backbone.

"A great place to do the same job for 30 years and retire."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Burgess & Niple offers outstanding benefits packages. They encourage recruitment of senior level talent by including previous career experience as years of seniority (for determination of benefits). If you have 10 years in a field at another company, your benefits are computed as though you had 10 years at Burgess & Niple.

Cons

Senior leadership team sometimes comes across at an "old boys club." Although senior leadership is very progressive, there is a definite prejudice against younger (under 50) talent. Promotion from within does not seem to be a priority. There is little to no succession planning for retiring staff and rather than develop internal staff for succession, the company will look outside for talent.

Advice to Management

Failure to promote from within reflects a failure of the company. Either failing to hire promotable individuals at the start or a failure to develop the talent within the company.