Burlington Stores Reviews in Edgewater Park, NJ | Glassdoor

Burlington Stores President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult (in 51 reviews)

• There weren't always enough hours and making minimum wage made it hard to make a descent wage (in 82 reviews)

1. "Good mentorship"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Edgewater Park, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mentorship from management, employees are generally easy to talk to and very helpful.

Cons

I was unable to progress fast enough in my role, but budget limits happens to any company/team.

Burlington Stores Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your review! We're glad that your experience aligned with our commitment to providing associates with a work environment that is supportive and offers a variety of opportunities for... More

2. "RUN the other way!!"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Edgewater Park, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't anything special this company offers when compared to other major apparel companies. The given discount at their stores is all I can think of.

Cons

Work moral is low
    Turnover is high
    Lowball salary despite your qualifications
    Instead of having adequate head count to get the job done, they run a lean ship and try to make it seem like they are doing you a favor by offering overtime. You cannot achieve a "work/life balance" if you have to work overtime to get the job done. Period. Don't fall for their BS.

Advice to Management

Supervisor level and above desperately need to take classes in PROPER COMMUNICATION & MANAGEMENT when dealing with their employees. They haven't got a clue otherwise.

3. "Corporate Location - Don't Believe the Hype! Not A Nice Place To Work!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Edgewater Park, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is clean

Nice lunchroom with with kitchen preparing fresh food.

Cons

Hires contract workers (temps) for a majority of their positions in their corporate environment to avoid hiring, resulting in no benefits, and low pay by their contract company; Insight.

They ask for your input but really do not want it, just a formality.

If you were hired their benefits are lacking for a company that is so profitable and so large.

Advice to Management

Live by your catch phrases; build trust and relationships. You cannot do this by the way you treat your contract help, it truly shows a lack of respect and any type of compassion.

Lack of training, hostile work environment, expectations not communicated.

Invest in your new hires, even contract workers; they are people too. They are not disposable and should not be treated badly by the select few full time regular employees.

4. "Supply Chain Leader Program Review"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Leader Program - Manager in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Leader Program - Manager in Edgewater Park, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been very pleased with my experience in the Supply Chain Leader Development program at Burlington. I feel that I get serious responsibility that my peers at other companies don't get at this age. I'm a year out of college and I've managed upwards of fifty people. Due to the nature of the industry, Burlington's fast-paced culture, and their regard for the SCL program, this is not unusual. The upper management at Burlington is rooting for you to succeed and will make sure you get the support you need to do so. There are significant opportunities to move between departments and Burlington makes a conscious and genuine effort to accommodate and retain talent. Because I've gotten exposure to every level between associates and executive vice presidents, I have seen that Burlington treats all employees with much respect and equally supports them. The company is 100% dedicated to our core values. I'm proud to say I work for Burlington.

Cons

The only con to working at Burlington is a con of the industry and not specific to Burlington. In the off-price world, you are at the mercy of vendors and competition in the retail industry. This can make the work day quite hectic as it brings up day-to-day challenges and you must have strong decision-making skills. However, if you like a fast-paced, exciting environment, this would work for you.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is to maintain the level of respect and support they offer to employees. The atmosphere at Burlington is still much like the small, family-run business as which it started out. Management is approachable and engaged in all levels and, as the company grows, I hope we maintain the quality of leadership that is here today.

Burlington Stores Response

Nov 29, 2016 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. We are so proud to hear that you feel we are bringing our Core Values and Our Burlington philosophy to life for our associates. We hope to provide a... More

5. "Decent"

Former Employee - Applications Developer Analyst I in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Applications Developer Analyst I in Edgewater Park, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team problem solving, and company growth. Great discounts at the stores for employees. New technologies being adapted for various purposes. Health benefits are good but are getting expensive each year.

Cons

Pay is low and higher salaries are generally given to new hires to attract them. Internal work enviroment is old.

6. "All I can Say Is Wow"

Current Employee - Skilled Maintenance Mechanic in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Skilled Maintenance Mechanic in Edgewater Park, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

weekly pay, fellow coworkers are pleasant to deal with

Cons

management and hr treat you like an indentured servant, dont come here if you dont like being harassed physically or sexually. You cant even tell hr about the harassment from management, you get fired

Advice to Management

Fire the people doing the harassing, not the person reporting the harassment, treat employees better

7. "Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Edgewater Park, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, growing company with plenty of new opportunities, forward-looking management

Cons

Few perks, leadership not always available

Advice to Management

Pay and promote!

8. "Nice temporary place to work"

Current Employee - Logistics in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Logistics in Edgewater Park, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

time off, 401K, nice employees

Cons

They look outside the company to fill positions. Very challenging to move upward in corporate. Management rather recruit from nearby colleges than promote from within.

Advice to Management

Look from within for promotions, and job hiring

9. "Stressful. Felt like a slave."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edgewater Park, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores full-time

Pros

It's a Job in a terrible market

Cons

If you enjoy working in a hot, noisy warehouse and live life by a bell, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Might want to learn to speak Spanish.

"Growth"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Edgewater Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Edgewater Park, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Stores full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment, managers that care about your personal well being.

Cons

relatively low opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

create a hierarchy for promotional advancement within the Cost Accounting Division

Showing 14 of 1,804 reviews